The Ron Paul (R) Presidential Campaign Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by MasterShake29, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not going to win, but good luck to the man. I'm libertarian myself, and it seems that Republicans under George W. Bush have completely run over their "small government" motif with a bulldozer. "Don't tax and spend conservative" is no better than "Tax and spend liberal".

Some of the LP are trying to get him as their candidate, (he's a card-carrying member of both the Republican Party and Libertarian Party), so he might even be on the ballot in November.

3. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know if he did manage to win the primary, (albeit a longshot) its definately a plus for the Republican Party to automatically carry an extra 1-2%.

4. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    But losing the 48-50% would be a minus. :D

5. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would Republicans vote for the Democrat or a 3rd party if Paul was nominated/

I think not.

6. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    :D I think the Dems could win 50 states against Ron Paul.

7. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way. Especially if the Democrats nominate Hillary Clinton.

Ron Paul is a Republican who is a fiscal conservative and has consistently been against the Iraq War. That's not an easy combination to beat, as I think that describes a huge portion of the country.

If nominated, he'll get as big a portion of his party's vote as any other Republican. And I think his stands against the war and the Patriot Act
    could pick him up some Democrats. Combine that with what I expect would be 100% Libertarian support, and that's pretty good.

8. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Honestly, I'm happy you feel this way. I think he's the longest of longshots, but his candidacy is good for the democratic process.

9. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not New Hampshire

10. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or Alaska, the most libertarian state in the country. A good number of the Rocky Mountain states are libertarian as far as the populace's statewide ideology.

11. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul officially announced on C-SPAN (ha) on Monday that he's running.

Link to video.

12. Hank Rearden

Hank Rearden New Member

Jul 9, 1999
    Dundee, Illinois, USA
    Great news. He has my vote.

13. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    It's libertarian to get oil money checks from the state government? Heck in that case sign me up.

14. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is beyond silly. Howard Dean would top Ron Paul in any state. Please show me any evidence of a Libertarian garnering even 1/5th the vote of any dem in any statewide race. 1/10th even.

Guys, put the frigging bong down or wait until tomorrow morning before posting here.

15. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There isn't I'm sure. But you wrote Libertarian with a capital L. Ron Paul is a libertarian Republican*. Big difference.

If Paul is the nominee, he'll get 1/5th of the vote of any Democrat. Much more than that in fact.

* Now this is true, however he did run as the Libertarian Party candidate previously.

16. Johnny RedBull

Johnny RedBull New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    He is officially a republican, so why are you posting in this thread since you have no idea what the hell you are talking about? Trying to compete with superdave and demosthenes for the itnernet's most clueless poster?

17. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I hadn't been familiar with Paul, and after doing some reading have two big concerns with him:

a) he seems to want immediate withdrawal from Iraq, which IMO would be catastrophic (regarldess of whether or not you think we should've gone in in the first place)

b) he doesn't even want to consider the possibility of military force against Iran; this isn't something that we should do at any point in the near future IMO (if they get nukes, let the Israelis take them out) but it may be neccesary at some point in the next 7-11 years

Other than that, he seems great. I like virtually his entire domestic platform, particularly the fact that he seems staunchly pro-life. I'd still take McCain unless he addresses my concerns listed above, but would love to see a McCain/Paul ticket.

18. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Ron Paul actually gives me something to do in this next election. :) Here is one candidate that I can actually support without holding my nose. I was involved a bit in Paul's campaign in 1988 and had the opportunity to meet him and became an acquantance with his son. In my mind he is genuine and a very unique politician and I hope that he can receive at least some coverage during his campaign. I have already volunteered to help with his campaign and look forward to helping out if needed. Will he win? Nope. But I dont give a rat's a$$...

19. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted for Ron Paul in the 1988 general election.

Great to see him in the Republican primaries. We need an alternative to Bush's big government conservatism. At least his ideas need to be heard.

20. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa, easy fella. Mea cupla. I stand corrected about Paul being a Libertarian candidate - and wrote about Paul today in my blog.

21. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul is up to 3% in the latest Zogby poll:

Guiliani 27
    McCain 13
    Romney 9
    Thompson 9
    Paul 3
    Brownback 2
    5 others tied at 1

22. Hank Rearden

Hank Rearden New Member

Jul 9, 1999
    Dundee, Illinois, USA
    Didn't Paul get nearly 1% in the last general election in which he ran as a Libertarian (2000, perhaps)? I'm hoping that he isn't ignored in the Republican primary debates this time around.

23. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He won 0.5% of the vote in 1988 as a Libertarian.

He was going to be in a debate next month, but apparently that's been postponed for a bit. Presumably he'll be in the rescheduled one.

24. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Oh my god. The problem with the internet. Anyone can publish. Nothing wrong with that, except it gives too many people a false sense of influence.