Eddie Robinson -- Is it time for Dom to discipline? [R]

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by DonJuego, Feb 24, 2007.

1. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm becoming concerned with Eddie Robinson's ability to maintain composure and professionalism. Is he hurting the team?

I think both the yellow card and red card were unjustified. However, the guy is constantly getting carded. Is it a coincidence? Always bad luck? Or is he getting pay backs because he is always mouthing off, gesturing, showing up the ref. He was even complaining about the referring BEFORE the Puntaranes game.

Further, he plays a very physical game that is always pushing and shoving opponents. If your going to play that way why would you constantly provoke confrontations with the ref?

Let me say this -- I really respect him as a player. He wins everything in the air. He plays strong and is dependable with the ball at his feet. I like him a lot.

Having said that -- is it time he was held accountable for the number of cards he gets? Am I off base here? What do you folks think?

2. mabeuf

mabeuf Member

Jul 22, 2006
    West
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Eddie Robinson -- Is it time for Dom to discipline?

Very off-base. Practices before big games seem to be 10% Dom disiplining E-Rob.

That being said, I am not concerned about maintaining our on-pitch professionalism. Rather, our maintence of our passion, determination and motivation, all of which Eddie seems to be a big part of.

3. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think disciplining him would hurt his game. He's the core of our back four. Eddie's a hard player, and to tell him to become less physical would cause his mentality to become soft and he would therefore always be worried about conceding a foul which would let players like Adu deke past him.

4. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose

Dom definitely disciplines Eddie. There was a time (pretty sure it was in 2005) that Robinson was left home on a trip back east for a match. He had made a hard tackle in practice (I think it was on Ricardo Clark) and had done some other things causing his teammates to get upset with the way he was practicing. Even though Robinson was regularly starting, Dom not only didn't start him, he left him home so he wasn't even on the bench.

Don't be confused about the "public Dom" where he is showing support for his team, with what he is likely saying to Eddie in private. Dom is not the kind of guy to call out his players in public, but he does so in the locker room.

I remember in 2005 how a couple of the reserves were kind of joking about how Dom handled it when guys got redcarded (this was after a Sunday reserve match). The night before in the regular match, someone had gotten redcarded (I think it may have been Ricardo Clark). Anyway, whoever was redcarded went to the locker room and apparently was taking his time showering and changing. The kitman went into the locker room after the match, and found the guy still getting dressed. He told the guy to get out of the locker room quickly, because he didn't want Dom to run into him right after the match. According to the players, it would have been ugly. When guys get thrown out of the match, Dom makes it clear to them that they have let the team down and doesn't mince words. But normally those discussions happen the next day, not right after the match, as guys don't want to test Dom's patience.

5. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with this approach -- and did not mean to suggest that I would want Dom to say anything publicly. I like that he stays positive publicly.

So forget the discipline question.

I'm curious whether anyone thinks that ERobs temperament and attitude is hurting the team. I'm not sure it is. Mabeuf may be right that it is simply the price of his passion and commitment.

6. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think ERob is being forced into more pressure situations. Face it, you all know that Cochrane and Gray are not quality starting CBs. I would love to see the Dynamo get someone who could help Eddie Robinson more.

Mullan did a hell of a job at Puntarenas. Maybe he should play RB and allow Waibel to helop ERo out in center defense.

7. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston

I read an article in the houston chronicle where Eddie was making comments about officating in Central America. It sounded like he knew he was going to get carded. I will try to find the link....

8. Vicious Lhasa Apso

Vicious Lhasa Apso New Member

Aug 8, 2006

I play defense and I always have liked to use a physical style. You will occasionally pick up a yellow for physicality, as well as the odd one for dissent, if you approach the game this way. I'll grant as much. If you want that sort of player you have to concede a certain amount of "run of play" cards and weigh that against what they do on a field.

Thing being, whether you are a sweetheart or a jerk on the field, and whether you are card-prone or not, someone sitting on a card should know better than to indulge in things that can earn you the second. I used to average 4-5 cards a season, but I only ever got the second yellow once. One red all my life. And that was dissent. It's about self-control. You might take someone out on occasion, send a message, or otherwise earn a yellow, but you should know better than to keep at it once you're under watch. It's about knowing when to stop, and I don't think that's asking a player to hold back in play or otherwise soften their game.

Granted, you might have to take someone down who's beaten you on a break to try and preserve a result, or otherwise have your hand forced, but I don't recall many of the reds/second yellows Robinson commits being "game savers". I recall a bunch of gratuitous elbows, ref-baiting, and other things that I'd expect a pro to "can".

I am reminded of the Adelaide guy from the other day who ran into a Victory guy and lowered his shoulder, already on a yellow. The player could have slid in, otherwise tried normal play, or just let that particular ball go, knowing his situation and his team's. Instead, he rammed the guy and basically nailed their championship coffin. It's something a physical player has to know better than to do.

I don't care how many cards he accumulates, that may be par for the course; it's when you can't hold back and get the second that the problem exists. Mastro last year, Dom this year. You have to know when to say "when".

Dom has disciplined him, he left him out of at least one game last year on apparent discipline grounds. The message does not appear to have taken. Further action seems necessary.

9. dynamofan

dynamofan Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Houston

This is the key point - it's not the physical way Eddie plays or even him getting lots of yellows, it's getting the second yellow or a straight red and how he's doing that. I can absolutely live with him getting yellow cards and periodicallly having to sit out a game. He's intimidating to the forwards on the other team, and the "bad boy" reputation can help that. But in order to take advantage of it, he needs to get his head on straight. The elbow last year to Ruiz at Dallas is a case in point. It was a frustration play because Ruiz was baiting him, and Eddie was not able to play smart. This may be totally unfair, but I would like to see Barrett be a bit more of an "in your face" captain out there and try to keep Eddie more under control. Maybe Wade is trying to do that, but I haven't seen it.

Ultimately, though, it's clearly Eddie's situation to own. Either he can continue as he has been, or he can get some kind of wakeup call and learn from this.

10. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't have an opinion on the discipline question, but if Dynamo advance to the next round of the CCC, I would not play him in the away match.

Much too risky when you can start Waibs/Cochrane and bring ERob in off the bench if there's an emergency. It just doesn't make sense to start a guy who is an 80% chance to be ejected and leave the team a man down as well as potentially cost us a sub.

11. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This post is a complete indictment of ERob. If he really is 80% to be ejected in a game then you should drop him from the team. If you have to leave him out of games cause your worried about ejection then you don't need him.

Myself -- I don't put him at 80% -- but the I beginning to worry about him every game. Can he keep his cool?

12. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm telling y'all there's no alternative. It's not like we are gonna get Jimmy Conrad for peanuts or Bobby Boswell by trading a 3rd round pick. Instead of worrying about Eddie we should be looking for someone to replace Serioux to take pressure off of him.

We won't get a quality defender like ERo unless we used a DP on one. That being said JLoyd Samuel is leaving Aston Villa on a free this summer.

13. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose

I agree - I would not advocate not starting Eddie in any game. I might consider substituting for him in the second half if he is carrying a yellow card, though.

For those of you who only saw Eddie play last year, he had a particularly bad year for getting cards. He got 11 cards in 25 total league matches played, and was ejected once.. In 2005, he only had 6 cards in 29 matches played, and was ejected twice. In the 2001-2004, he played in 39 matches and had 9 cards, and was not ejected at all.

So the question is whether last year is a trend for him, or was it a bit of an aberration....or perhaps he's gotten a reputation and refs watch him more closely than in his earlier years and he doesn't get away with as much. Hard to tell.

14. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've been saying it since Day 1: We should use the DP on a CB. Imagine your favorite CB who's a Hound Dog teamed up with ERo, giving ST's nightmares whenever they look at the schedule. It'd be totally worth it. It'd also let the pressure up off of ERo and allow him to play more freely, as it were. And I would never think about benching him unless he totally screwed up. Doesn't matter where we are playing or who.

As for the lack of NT call ups, we already have one guy who collects Red Cards (damn Peparoni...got one in the very first game v Dynamo...loved ripping him a new one then).

15. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wasn't talking about the MLS regular season so much as the CCC.

Regular season matches really don't seem to be a problem for Eddie. But an away match in Mexico or Central America is going to be called a lot tighter, and the physical play that is commonplace in MLS won't be tolerated. And in a tournament setting where you have to win a two game series, there's no room for someone to get ejected.

I had a hard time finding details from the Quakes' history in the CCC, but this article has 2 Quakes being ejected in the Costa Rica leg of the quarters in the 2003 edition (Dayak & Mulrooney).

And yeah 80% is kind of hyperbole. ;) Still, I really would at least consider sitting him @ Pachuca if they make it that far.

16. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey El Naranja what do you think about JLoyd Samuel? I personally think he would be a pretty good signing, and we could get him if the price is right. :D

17. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Listen, Eddie is a "gamer." When the game is on the line, Eddie steps up. If you can remember, when the games meant the most at the end of last year, Eddie got in no trouble. He was on very good behavior and had some great performances in the back.

When games don't mean much Eddie gets tossed out. This past week was a joke. That 2nd yellow wasn't even close. Eddie is a good guy. He is an intimidating player but that is what makes him so good.

Eddie is invaluable to this team.

18. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Remember too that he got ejected for being injured.

19. av8tor

av8tor New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Fuera del pais

Let's see. He's washed up at Aston Villa. And nobody else in EPL or Champions wants him. Not sure I want to use our DP in a bidding war with some Bulgarian or Macedonian team. :p

20. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well Bolton want him so he must be good. :D

I guess we should go after a Scottish guy so we have one to play every position. Weir? Dailly? Pressley? Lennon?

21. Cmack

Cmack Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Pearland

There is nothing wrong with how Eddie plays. He is very aggressive and sometimes that leads to cards. But look at what he does on the field and I wouldnt dare sit him just because he may or may not get a card. He is the anchor of our defense. Next time you think that maybe it might be a good idea to sit eddie, take a look back at his save in the all star game. No other defense player in mls would be able to make that save or even try. Eddie should be on the field every game no matter what. Now theres my two cents.

22. av8tor

av8tor New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Fuera del pais

For a DP on defense, how about Cannavaro?

23. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's like saying we should get Ranaldinho. It'd be nice, but ain't going to happen. Though the thought of him and ERo in the back....if that doesn't give a ST nightmares, I dunno what would

24. av8tor

av8tor New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Fuera del pais

Sorry. More lost sarcasm. Every time an EPL player has a falling out with a coach or washes out, dustcowpokey wants us to burn our DP slot on him. For some reason (can't read the Spanish marketing study or has absolutely no concept of business) I can't seem to get through to him.

A DP must be more than simply a "decent player". Paying DP wages simply to match EPL, Serie A and La Liga salary scales for journeyman players is a losing proposition. DP slots to date (and for the foreseeable future) have been filled by "names", whether internationally recognized (Beckham) or a US name (Reyna). My point is, if you want to use a DP slot on a central defender, it had better be an internationally-recognized elite.

Someone leaving Aston Villa, and rumored to have interest from Bolton (as long at its a no transfer fee deal in June) is NOT that name. Even the teams themselves are totally unknown to Americans (outside of soccer fans).

Totally unscientific, but among Americans I would guess name recognition of EPL brands would be:

1. ManU
    2. Chelsea/Arsenal
    3. Liverpool (though it's still more famous for the Beatles)
    4. A bunch of other hams, shires, and ssex's that make up the balance of the league.

With the rest of Europe:
    1. Real Madrid/Barcelona
    2. Milan (take your pick, because Americans don't know AC from Inter)
    3. Bayern Munich
    4. Ajax
    5. The rest of them furreners.

South America:
    1. Boca
    3. WTF is a Colo Colo? Isn't that like 'ass' in Spanish?

Using a DP on a player that is not a recognized name in America, or is not from one of the above teams is a losing business proposition, with one exception.

Exception: Plays physical and attitude from years of steroid abuse, scores 15 goals in first 4 games, has dribbling skills that make Ronaldinho drool, shoots like a young Beckham; with enough highlight footage gets argued at least 3 times per week on Rome and PTI.

The rest of 'em? If you can get em without (or at a very low) transfer fee, pay them in line with the rest of the league, and have one of your four senior international slots available on your roster, why not.

25. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

I would add River Plate,Santos and Vasco Da Gama.
    Colo Colo is a "Cacique" I believe.,and know I don't know what would that mean in English.,and no it does not mean "culo culo":D

When Colo Colo and Pachuca played in that Final, I bet this co-worker from Chile,and I would always refer to his team by that.;)