Ian Joyce to Gray's Athletic

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Do they have a McDreamy or an angry homophobe on the team?

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I bet they'd rather have McSteamy.

4. wagit

wagit New Member

Feb 22, 2007

Big it up wag it wan. Proud of you Biggs, be easy and good luck.-Mingaaaaaa Chavassssssssssss

5. FrankCasper

FrankCasper Red Card

Mar 4, 2005
    No apostrophe in their name - it's the name of a place to the east of London.

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Just so we're clear, we're talking about a kid who is signing with a team that is 22nd out of 24 teams in the fifth tier (after the Premiership, Colaship and League One and Two) of English football.

Still a better level of soccer than most of us, myself included, ever played, and certainly players have been discovered here and gone on to bigger clubs, but this ain't exactly the big time.

That said, I don't begrudge the kid for giving it a shot and I wish him the best and at the very least he can hang out in Jolly Ol' for a spell and have some good stories - and resume fodder - when he comes back home.

7. TimBoston

TimBoston Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Gray_Toronto

Gray_Toronto New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Essex
    Ian had a trial at Crewe Alexandra before joining us. Only used as cover, never played.

To say it was a poor or questionable move for him is crazy. Grays is well known for it's Football League successors and links. Most notable players are Freddy Eastwood and Michael Kightly who are tearing up the Championship.

9. TimBoston

TimBoston Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone was questioning his decision to try to catch on with a non-league side in England. I think we only have to look at someone like Jay Demerit, who started out at Northwood if I am not mistaken. The non-league sides have always been a feeder to the bigger clubs.

Anyway, do you know where Ian has ended up? Did he come back to the states, or is he still looking to hook up with another team in England?

10. Gray_Toronto

Gray_Toronto New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Essex
    Sorry I don't know where he is.

I'm assuming he's still in England and looking for another club. He said to me he was living in Harlow with a friend when he was at Grays.

Good luck to him, he's a top guy.

11. Gray_Toronto

Gray_Toronto New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Essex
    Ian has been on trial at Millwall since leaving us.

Played in today's reserves match vs. Brighton

http://www.millwallfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10367~1012430,00.html

My brother told me, whilst at Grays, Crewe asked him to go back on trial but he declined as they didn't have a goalkeeping coach and Grays did.

He did tell me that, but I can't remember the convo we had as I had waaaaaay too many beers. :D

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Thanks for that update.

Joyce let in two in that reserve match. Impossible to tell from the descriptions of the goals to what degree he might have been responsible. It does mention a late save as well as the scores.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    A little bit more from a match report (from the opponent's perspective):

On-loan left-back Zoumana Bakayogo, playing against his parent club, crossed for the former Billericay marksman [Nathan Elder] to head past giant American keeper Ian Joyce, one of three trialists in the Millwall line-up.

[Alex] Frutos, forced off in the first half against Aldershot with a recurrence of a shin injury, doubled the lead in the 53rd minute.

The Frenchman worked an opening inside area to score with a right-foot shot into the bottom corner.​

Link:
    http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/arg...arget_again_as_reserves_close_in_on_title.php

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    In case anyone was wondering, "giant" Ian was listed as 6' 3", 190, by Seton Hall. So he's got nothing on the original "Giant Ian" of American GK fame...

15. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Read a blurb today that said Millwall were unlikely to offer any of their recent trialists a contract. The paper mentioned Joyce by name and then listed some quotes from the manager about how it's tough these days for young players (he doesn't mention names) to earn contracts based upon trials because they don't last long enough.

He also said something about how managers want players who are experienced and can step in and contribute to the first team immediately. The inference being that his recent trialists would not be able to do that.

16. Gray_Toronto

Gray_Toronto New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Essex
    Found out Joyce has been playing for Harlow in the Ryman Prem (2 steps below Conference in the pyramid).

Think he may be on trial/had trials at Watford too.

17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  18. DrWatford

DrWatford New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Joyce played for Watford's reserves in a 3-2 defeat against Southampton on Tuesday night and despite the scoreline had a really solid, reliable game.

Watford already have 3 goalkeepers on their books though so it may be a struggle for him to get a contract with The Hornets from Watford

I put this article together on www.watford.vitalfootball.co.uk should you be interested to find out more...

http://www.watford.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=86385

Many thanks
    Dr Watford

19. Frankie Boy

Frankie Boy Member

Jun 9, 2003
    How does he get a UK work permit? One of his parents born in the EU?

20. Gray_Toronto

Gray_Toronto New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Essex
    Italian grandparent