Neil Lennon (Celtic) to Toronto FC?

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by 'Chopper', Feb 9, 2007.

1. 'Chopper'

'Chopper' New Member

Oct 26, 2006
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    The Scottish Daily Record this morning suggests that Northern Ireland international Neil Lennon could be on his way to Toronto FC.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...objectid=18596493&siteid=66633-name_page.html

"The 35-year-old is out of contract at Parkhead in the summer."

"Director of business operations Paul Beirne said: "It is difficult to talk about players that are under contract with other clubs but we'd love to see Neil Lennon added to Mo's squad.""

I've got to say if it's true, it smacks of one last pay day, doesn't it?

ps. Lennon "has expressed a desire to finish his career in a warmer climate", does he know the temperature in Toronto today?!

2. Cashcleaner

Cashcleaner New Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Ajax, Ontario
    Hmmm....

Well I watched Lennon play quite a few games a couple years back for Celtic when I was in the UK. Great midfielder in his prime, but I think nowadays he's more interested in letting his contract run out at Celtic prior to starting a career as a coach.

Personally, I would rather we take a pass on this signing if it were to come to that.

3. mlsintoronto

mlsintoronto Member

Oct 29, 2005

misquoted by a Scottish Paper. not even close actually. shocking.

4. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Gossip column in BBC Football page - looks like the same source:

Toronto head coach Mo Johnston wants to sign Celtic's Neil Lennon. (Daily Record)

While it may be cold in Toronto today, soccer doesn't start for another two months.

P.S. I must admit that after reading "How Soccer Explains the World", my opinion of Mo Johnston went up exponentially. No wonder he can appear a bit too tightly wound.

5. rocker

rocker New Member

Dec 15, 2006
    what did you say?

6. TFC_fan07

TFC_fan07 New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Tri-Cities, ONT
  7. VinceVerde

VinceVerde New Member

Oct 6, 2006
    You would be very lucky to have Lenny. Whilst not your 'Box Office' signing, If you have any appreciation of football, Neil Lennon is your man.

You need to have him in your team to appreciate him.

He would also teach your head coach a thing or two.

8. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    About trying to control an unfit, overly aggressive and bigmouthed player who thinks he's in charge?

9. Hunbasher

Hunbasher New Member

Oct 27, 2006
    North York
    Lennon has strength ,still has some years left and as for his attitude on the pitch strikes fear into the opposition.He's not easy to take down.

10. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Lennon has re-signed with Celtic.

11. 'Chopper'

'Chopper' New Member

Oct 26, 2006
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    How'd you know that? There's nothing on the Celtic website and nothing in the UK press.

12. biggie smalls

biggie smalls New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Lennon a good player but old now. . might be too hot for him . . aggressive though!