Moan, groan, doom, gloom (Warning - Negativity Inside)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by rkane1226, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, hopefully the title thread warned you off if you don't like negativity (Doc, if you are reading this I have one question, "Why are you here?")

While I am well acquainted with the theory that the future hasn't happened yet and the best could happen, I can't help thinking that all appearances are that the REVs are having a standard off-season which means little, other than the draft, is being done to address team needs:

- We are coming to the end of the January transfer window and no help has been signed.

- We have heard only tepid support from Kraft Soccer for a DP with, "if the situation is rightwe'll sign someone" being so vague that it could be read as no commitment at all.

- One of the most active threads on this forum regards a REV SSS, which is about as likely as opening an Ice Cream Factory in Hell. How can that topic generate so much speculation when the Krafts haven't shown a single serious sign of even wanting an SSS?

- We've had our grass field replaced with field-turf. The soccer kind, the best kind known to man, potentially even acceptable but still, from a purist point of view, a sad move.

- Noonan seems injured - again

In short, no positive off-season splash has come from the REVs. We look set to go into 2007 with a roster that is almost the same as 2006 except that Dempsey is gone and Franchino and Ralston are that much older. To boot, in 2006 only one REV ultimately went to the WC. With the Gold Cup and Copa America this summer and with Reis, Twellman, Noonan and Parkhurst (and John for the GC?) in their national team depth chart will that kind of starting 11 and depth stand up over the rigors of the MLS summer season, particularly when some teams WILL have spent money to bring in a DP.

The highlight of this season could well be the REVs spending really serious money to sign a DP in August only to have him wither on the bench like all of our August signings seem to do. Instead of Abundis, it could be Figo watching Noonan and Twellman get the nod. If there is any team in MLS that should use the DP in January it is the REVs. SN needs the time to work him into the lineup.

Training camp can't begin soon enough. Better yet, let's have some games!

2. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is my home sweet home. :D
    Actually, I had a very interesting exchange with someone from the revs office. It's nothing special. Just a quick encounter. All i did was casually ask so what's in the works? do you think their will be any significant signings? (I didn't want to be a pain in the ass) No one high up, but someone I had a very brief conversation with (and I can't use his name, sorry, it's just a respect thing since he was nice enough to answer.). it's no super special info and some of you may even have better info, but it's worth mentioning

bottom line from the conversation, believe it or not... the revs are actually pursuing a few players very actively right now (he said he can give me names). He said he did not know if the revs would be using thier DP spot (but hoped they would).

I tend to fall into the "are we doing anything crowd?" so for me this changes my opinion a tiny bit....

instead of "we never do anything", my new opinion is "apparently we do stuff, we just apparently aren't all that good at it":D

3. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Truth, truth, and more truth. Everything stated is fact about what has happened this off-season. The only way to turn things around is to sign a few players with proven quality, but as rkane pointed out, January is coming to a close.

I've been lurking around here for a few weeks, and I'm bored to tears every time. We got a thread about a dream SSS, and list of every single footballer in Europe in a useless DP thread. We Revs fans have nothing to speculate on, so we make up our own speculations.

We see the attendance numbers drop year by year, and it could very well be linked with our inactivity during the off-season. People simply forget we exist, and there is nothing to look forward to in the form of new players. I suspect we lower number this year, because we lost Dempsey, and believe it or not, Dempsey had a good following. So who will they watch in place of Dempsey... Wells Thompson?

But hey peabrain talk to a guy who smart enough to not say anything bad about his organization... I'm sold!!!

RRRREV IT UP

4. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The Larentowicz signing was a big move. Thread closed.

5. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to defend the Revs as I have once dealt with what they go through on a day to day operation and how little as a fan I knew about their plans. Peabrainidiot just proved my point, that the Revs are active, we just don't hear about it.

I am one that is on the wagon that will moan and groan that we don't hear near enough from the Revs FO, but I'll never doubt that they aren't working hard to improve the team.

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not Doc, but when I played him on TV I needed a lot of makeup, so that makes me qualified to answer. It is because we are all just unwilling passengers on a runaway train to doom and anihilation. Brief spasms of joy are there only to point out the total hopelessness of all human endevor.:(

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post and some fantastic points.
    The problem is, kinda like Rev It Up said ... they're not going to say otherwise. They'll toe the company line. Why is it so hard for Nicol to come out and say they're looking at players in such and such country? Why is it so hard to get anything resembling news out of this team? Oh wait, I forgot ... we're playing a DH with the USWNT to start the season. Seriously ... that's been our major news so far.
    This is a key component IMHO.
    This literally made me laugh out loud. Good job!
    Actually he didn't prove your point. He's basically posting a) second/third/fourth hand knowledge and b) we have no idea if the guy is credible in regards to his comments (not you PB). He could just be toeing the company line, like their sales people did last year about the free parking only being for season tickets.

8. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    This reminds me of a test my class bombed in A school. A chief came in and yelled at us and said we "just----didn't----try" while a vein was busting out of his head. One of my classmates had quite a pair and said "with all due respect, chief, we each put in 10-15 hours of study in this week above what was required" (20-25 was the required norm for study hours outside of the workday). The chief quickly changed his tune and sternfully said "When the sub is going down, it doesn't matter if you try. It matters if you get----the job----done."

The moral? It really doesn't matter if the Revs are trying. This is especially so if they don't announce any players they are going after. We will always draw our own conclusions when there are no results and nobody knows what the heck they are doing. That chief may have had a slightly different attitude coming into the room if he had looked at the study log, but it didn't matter in the long run.

In the end, apathy and incompetence lead to similar results.

9. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    A potential SSS is an interesting subject to a lot of people. That thread is also very old. If you add up the posts and views on other topics such as the subject of this thread, you would see where the focus is.

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo. If they're volunteering to their jobs, then I can be more satisfied with trying. But trying alone is not acceptable to me, nor should it be to any fan.

"Hey Craig, I tried to pay for my season tickets, but it didn't happen. You'll still let me into the games right?"

Yeah ... that might work. :rolleyes:

11. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guy from The Guardian (the British paper for those of you who don't know it) comes into my job. Shows me his press pass, we started talking soccer. After discussing MLS (of which he was pretty knowledgable) he says, "Why hasn't your side done anything?"

Long story, says I. :(

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just let him know that you've got a friend, who's got a neighbor's, who's kid's girlfriend's brother spoke with someone who works with the Revs and they said there's a huge announcement coming! :D

13. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Walter Zenga is not walking through that door, fans. Joe-
    Max Moore is not walking through that door, and Mike Burns is not walking through that door. And if you expect them to walk through that door, they're going to be gray and old. What we are is young, exciting, hard-working, and we're going to improve. People don't realize that, and as soon as they realize those three guys are not coming through that door, the better this town will be for all of us because there are young guys in that (locker) room playing their asses off. I wish we had $90 million under the salary cap. I wish we could buy the world. We can't; the only thing we can do is work hard, and all the negativity that's in this town sucks. I've been around when Jim Rice was booed. I've been around when (Carl) Yastrzemski was booed. And it stinks. It makes the greatest town, greatest city in the world, lousy. The only thing that will turn this around is being upbeat and positive like we are in that locker room... and if you think I'm going to succumb to negativity, you're wrong. You've got the wrong guy leading this team."

- Steve Nicol

14. Tobas

Tobas Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Littleton, MA
    3/15 New England Revolution vs Cancun Spring Break All-Stars :D

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D
    See that proves Nicol should be fired. He thinks Burns is one of the best players the Revs have had! Fire him! Now!!!!

16. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That was Pitino, right? I was overseas when he made that speech, so I don't know the specifics. Am I right?

17. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait wait wait.

You have a job?

18. ftruscot

ftruscot Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    Just a note to all you doom-and-gloomers. Our inbound transfer window doesn't close until Mar 31. So we can bring in anyone from anywhere in the world until that date. The January transfer window in England/Scotland/Most of Western Europe only means we can't sell out players to these clubs after Jan 31.

So you will need to postpone your moaning about inbound transfer activity until the end of March. Unless you want to argue that the inbound player really needs to be in camp from Day 1.

19. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, it was also after the infamous..."chauncy billups is our pointguard of the future," and then ultimately traded two days later.

as frustrating as it is with REVS management be thankful that Rick Pitino isn't running our organization. Though Pitino did get a raw deal when the pingpong balls bounced towards San Antonio in the Duncan sweepstakes, his moves after that were shocking.

We should just start a "Ronaldinho to REVS" thread just to work everyone into a tizzy for a few hours and ruin some gullible idiots day. That would add to the excitement this offseason.

20. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't try to bring sunshine into our rainy day...it isn't nice

21. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all understand that. But your last line was key. I'd love to have whomever with this team from day 1. That way we can gel quicker. :D

22. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Hmm, I recall reading that someplace before:

[​IMG]

23. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that SN real quote? Steve Nicol was around when Yaz was booed??? and Rice??? Hmmm...didn't Nicol play that stupid soccer game is some God forsaken Eurotrash country back then?? What does William Wallace know of Boston Sports, anywho!? LOL

The truth is folks...you guys haven't been negative at all!!! I realize our lives aren't completely dedicated to eating, drinking and thinking Revs Soccer...I guess it's just a fact of living in America, where passion for anything is subdued from all of the stimuli we receive in our daily lives. Work, relationships, keeping warm, eating, etc. are more important that anything we leisurely involve ourselves in, in our spare time. The passion that is seen for the game elsewhere will probably never manifest itself here. If some big name squads across the Pond had the relative inactivity that the Revs have shown during a very important transfer window period..there would indeed be protests outside the club's office. They would probably need police to be present to keep the group from getting overly unruly.

This inactivity to me, is truly an apathetic gesture by the Ownership. It shows that they are still sulking over their prized posession not making what they consider to be the only real championship worth investing in. I for one, have no harsh words for SN...I believe if he was in charge of Fulham, he too would have done all he could to get Clint to sign. I know he's shown a brave face and wished the Deuce well when he took off for the PL, but deep down inside, his guts must be wringing. I'm sure he is trying to find the key to release him from the shackles but I think the search may be futile.

I don't want to be negative, but I will, this ownership still thinks it's 1996. It seems clear that they have no intention of investing in a DP, etc. MLS in general created the Beckham rule, and it looks like it was done for just that...David Beckham. No Figo, no Ronaldo, no Davids, No nothing...There's only a few days left in the Jan. Transfer window and as usual...nothing. I have received 2 calls regarding my season tickets for 2007. I haven't gotten them yet. In all honesty..we as the purchasing public, who "want" to go see the sport we love, played by the team that we choose to root for and give our leisure time to, have the RIGHT to ask WHY isn't anything being done. WHY did the number 1 American player get sold to a team 3000 miles away. WHY hasn't the team replaced him? WHY have the Revolution been so Nonchalant about losing CLINT..and possibly Joseph and/or Noonan and even Twellman? These are questions that we have the right to ask.

Sorry Bob, but all your interest in Liverpool or any other team doesn't mean squat! If you think that the sheep will continue to come out during the months where they'd would rather be on vacation, you might be correct. You might rest on the laurels of the LA Galaxy's new signing, just like you did when DC United signed a 14 year old kid. You might even see some decent 30k crowds when LA comes to town..but I seriously doubt 400fans will come out when the Revs are playing Columbus in some downpour...Face it, I don't care what product you produce, if you don't give the customer what they want or expect, ultimately that customer is going to realize your Toilet Paper causes a bad rash and they'll stop buying it altogether. And then your product will have a stigma that you can't ever reverse....

think about it..but, you only have 5 days.(or whenever the real transfer window closes)

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just don't get it Dan.

We've made the Eastern Conference Finals 5 straight years. We've made the MLS Cup 3 times!

You ask so much.

:p

25. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's nice to know that I live in the only country on earth that people place keeping warm and maintaining relationships over soccer.