Celtic /Liverpool 2003 Uefa cup YNWA

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by American Red, Jan 23, 2007.

1. American Red

American Red Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Bavaria
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I just saw a clip of an entire stadium of pool and celtic supporters singing YNWA before a UEFA cup tie. It appeared to be at anfield. Can anyone explain? Is YNWA "their song" also? Is there a special relationship between the clubs that I am completely unaware of?

2. luciusmagister

luciusmagister New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    7th Heaven
    Both teams sing YNWA and there is a friendly debate about which team’s fans sing it better. :) LFC also sing a version of Fields of Athenry. There is a special relationship between the two clubs as well. For example, both clubs have shared some important players like Dalglish. Most of all, right after Hillsborough Celtic helped LFC on their road back by playing a friendly to help raise money for the disaster relief fund. There are many links between Celtic and Liverpool but I think that is the most significant.

3. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    There is a certain amount of penile envy on the part of Celtic. (size does matter) They feel that by copying Liverpool singing YNWA they some how be as big a club as us. As if!

When they first tried YNWA it was an attempt by the Glasgow Pipe Band in the form of a pibroch and you can imagine how that went down. Then they tried singing it but the Glaswegien accent along with the pipes sounded like a bunch of tom cats around a bitch in heat. So now they've sacked the pipers and make noises that go along with 'Gerry and the Pacemakers' so it does sound to the untrained ear like they could be singing. When they played us in that UEFA Cup match you referred to, the Glasgow supporters where actually miming to the singing of the Anfield faithful. I believe since then quite a few have learned the words.

They are a fine bunch of lads though, salt of the earth. If I was in trouble it'd be a guy from Glasgow I'd want at my back.

My granddaddy was from there but he actually played for Everton instead of Celtic. Go figure!!!!!

4. Gandalf The Red

Gandalf The Red BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 23, 2006
    Celtic do YNWA proud, milan fans do a good version, but its us who are its owners (although I did hear a story a few years back that another scotish club sang it before us)

complete bollox if u ask me

5. luciusmagister

Feb 23, 2004
    7th Heaven
    I heard that Celtic nicked YNWA from LFC in the 60's, but the Celts do say they sing it better with R.S. leading the way and all. :D Either way it is a great song to know and sing.:)

6. Gandalf The Red

Sep 23, 2006

you didnt nick it, we still have it and if you asked a question on a quiz show anywhere in the world including scotland "Which Club goes with this song" somehow I think Celtic would not fare well.

anyway they say copying is the best form of flattery;)

7. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    I always liked Celtic, probably my 2nd favorite club.

8. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a number of legendary singings of YNWA. Currently we think of half-time in Istanbul and after we beat Chelsea in the CL semi-final at Anfield. Two others include the above mentioned Parkhead friendly following Hillsborough. People who were there still get the shakes. It was sung before the game and a full house of 60,000 sang it in a sea of red and green scarves. It was our first game post Hillsborough. The other occasion was that year's FA Cup when we played Everton and they say that even the Bitters joined in. Remember the 96, YNWA.

9. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah they did. I was there and Gerry Marsden was on the Wembley pitch and led the crowd in singing it before the game. Not a dry eye in the place.

Fvck, I got chills remembering that.

10. Red Zeppelin

Red Zeppelin New Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Personally I always thought Marsden singing it at the games ('89 final, last day of the Kop in '94 etc etc) was too slow and too all over the place for the crowds to really join in properly. He made a hash of it on those two occasions and wanted to do a bloody virtuoso performance. Nah Gerry, just sing it properly like on the record will yas???

11. Red Zeppelin

Red Zeppelin New Member

Dec 31, 2005
    My personal favourites are the recording at Anfield for the Kop Choir record in '71 and the singing in the '74 Cup Final. Nothing compares to those.

12. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland

No debate, us hands down. :D

13. Gandalf The Red

Sep 23, 2006
    you shud up and get your hoops on, more and more these days u buckfast bhoys seem to be wearing them less and less.

celtic without green and white hoops is just plain bollox:rolleyes:

14. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Us, with our hands up holding the red scarves....!!!!

How ya doin lad? I needed you a while back, some other clown was pontificating on how CAP (Being capped) was some sort of acronim for playing for your country...:D

15. liverbird04

liverbird04 New Member

Nov 30, 2004
    I was at them games , I sat with a mixed group of fans ,pissed off with the results but it was nice to sit with a mixed bunch and not feel under threat from anyone ,couldn't do that with fellow scousers everton in case I got spat at or worse.Its all wrong really.

16. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I'd love to get video or audio of these if anyone knows where it could be found.

17. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland

Meh, the fuds need that picture of kenny dalglish's 100th cap every 4 years.

19. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Same couldnt be said with us and the mancs this year im afraid, quite a few people I know were sitting in with them and got pelters from beginning to end, one or two had no problems but most were not well recieved. Heard of a lot of trouble being given to people leaving the ground as well and their hooligan element kicked off in Glasgow a couple of times as well, wankers.
    This was crackin though.
    [​IMG]

20. liverbird04

liverbird04 New Member

Nov 30, 2004
    :D that banner is brilliant ,love it .

I heard theres been quite a few kick offs between united and celtic I thought the two clubs were meant to get along ,don't you always play them in friendlies and stuff?

21. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    cheers.

Found a clip of the 2003 rendition at Celtic. Pretty touching stuff...would have been nicer if Marsden would stop acting like he's playing to a bunch of retirees in Reno.

22. luciusmagister

Feb 23, 2004
    7th Heaven
    Best Banner ever! Even better than that one the French had showing Beckham get F'ed by a Rooster. A great match as well. CFC 1 MUFC 0. :)

23. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I watching this game with my friend who is a Celtic fan and I got a black eye after this goal was scored. Cause he jumped up so quickly his elbow caught me flesh in the face. Damn Celtic fans and their shenanigans.

24. Red Zeppelin

Red Zeppelin New Member

Dec 31, 2005
    No mate. That would be THIS:

[​IMG]

25. luciusmagister

Feb 23, 2004
    7th Heaven
    WOW. That is just F'ed up! Must have missed that one. :D