Allstar game vs. Celtic

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by BPBlueSox, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Thursday, July 19 at Dick's.

2. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    ...and before anybody attempts to flame me...it was revealed by Jeff Plush, GM or whatever of the Rapids tonight at a supporters' meeting.

3. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm so there.

4. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly?

I'm more interested in the rumored LA game (incl. Becks) versus Chelsea than an All Star game with Celtic.

5. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ticket reps are telling LA fans that this is a go. Our ticket reps rarely fail us in these matters.

Oh, and ... we'll smack Celtic. :D

6. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Umm if DC can beat Celtic 4-0 our all-stars should pound them.

7. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    interesting. ESPN coverage for the all-star game, and (as of today) no chance of Beckham in the game.

8. thespian89

thespian89 Member

Aug 22, 2006
    ESPN on ABC to be specific.

9. Midnight Attack

Mar 13, 2005
    U.S.A|Jamaica|DCU
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Great. [/sarcasm]

10. DGNB

DGNB New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    was there seriously no one better available? as someone mentioned, DCU pasted them 4-0. Hell, the MLS all stars pasted Fulham, a mid level Premeirship squad. I would have to say, they really should have gone after the biggest teams: ManU, Arsenal, Liverpool, Barca, Madrid, Inter, AC Milan, hell, even the relegated Juventus. ( I omit Chelsea b/c they played last year.) Honestly, they should have gotten better.

11. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    We are going to kill Celtic.

Between the (likely) heat, the high altitude, and Celtic's time off...

12. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    Celtic? Again?

Just what is needed in a busy summer. A meaningless friendly against a side DC United already handily dismissed 4-0. You'd think with signing Beckham MLS would pick a club from a higher quality league than the Scottish Premiership. :p

Seriously though. We have the SuperLiga, US Open Cup, maybe a rumored Asian-Pacific Championship played in Hawaii not to mention players who will be coming and going from Copa America and the Gold Cup. Do we need another distraction in the form of a meaningless friendly between a bunch of players who never play together and a Scottish side which couldn't get a win against United or New England last summer?

13. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty lame shit here. If all you can get is Celtic, then just don't have the All-Star game at all. With Gold Cup/Copa America going on this summer no one's going to care about that anyway.

14. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Didn't Celtic make the final 16 of the European Cup? That speaks to some quality...

15. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

In pre-season their form sucks:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTTmT19Brtk

Look, i don't see the point. If MLS All Stars win, it meant nothing because Celtic will have a million excuses.
    "The grass on the pitch was too long/short/wet/dry"
    "The altitude was too high"
    "The heat was too hot"
    "We are in pre-season" (when all else fails)

If MLS All Stars lose then it is a grand indictment of the league. I mean for goodness sake, people still are writing articles refering to the MLS Select side that lost 0-5 to Real Madrid, as a measure of league strength! This, rather than individual club vs club results and regardless of more recent results such as those of 2006.

It's a no-win for MLS. And 2007 is a year where ever club's roster will be tested to the max more than likely. Don't need it. Not against Celtic.

I'd rather they played this with an actual MLS team vs Urawa Reds or Vasco Di Gama.

16. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Yes, they did...beating Manchester United in the process of doing so.
    And of course we won't hear any of that should MLS teams struggle in the Champions Cup.

17. Axldru

Axldru Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    gotten better? every team you mentioned aside from juve is in the final 16 of europe (as is celtic)....and the only team of the group you mentioned that celtic have played to date (man u) they split with.....not to mention 4 days after the mls-all stars beat chelsea last year 1-0 celtic tied chelsea 1-1 ....so i'd say the gulf if class isn't maybe what you think....especially if celtic plays thier starters

18. Axldru

Axldru Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies

now those are all execellent and valid reasons for not wanting the game vs celtic....and i fully agree....it's a total no win for mls

19. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    I think Celtic is a good opponent actually.

(1) We will win
    (2) We will win
    (3) We will win

English suffer in our heat. Scottish (or anyone used to Scottish climate) absolutely fall apart :) Throw in the altitude, they are going to be sucking wind back by middle of each half.

MLS has so much going on this next year, its going to hard to focus on the MLS All-Star game. Let's make it a no-brainer, and move on. After 5 weeks holiday, it'll be a good run-out for them, and MLS gets another great headline.

20. The Lieutenant

Dec 29, 1999
    Lupburg, Bayern
    SavannahFan is going to cream his jeans when he hears this one.

4-1 MLS wins.

21. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    What makes you think an MLS all-star team would be better than a DC United team that practiced together every day for 4 months before facing Celtic?

22. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Celtic won't be drawing sell outs, luckily it's only at Dick's rather than Gillette or Giants Stadium. I think it's a bad move as they were here against our clubs, don't want to see them play the league. I'd much rather go for Barcelona or Madrid, perhaps bring Milan back, just something better than Celtic.

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Dick's only has a capacity of 18,000; a Celtic v. MLS All-Stars should do nicely.

24. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Yay, no doubt another pointless fixture in whats generally a vastly overcrowded pre-season that noone except the daily record generally gives a shit about anyway.

25. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Sorry if we dont quite match the expectations of the mighty MLS average supporter. I do apologise.