Yahoo MX: Borboa and Barrera to Chivas USA on loan

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by montakristo, Jan 16, 2007.

1. montakristo

montakristo New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    LOS ANGELES
    http://mx.sports.yahoo.com/15012007/44/deportes-conforme-equipo.html

last paragraph: De la Torre puntualizó que Patricio “Pato” Alfaro fue prestado por 6 meses al Veracruz; mientras que Edwin Borboa y Jorge Barrera fueron prestados al Chivas USA, buscando que tengan más continuidad. Además de que viajará a Los Ángeles, California, para hacer oficial la contratación del cuerpo técnico de las Chivas USA y aunque no reveló los nombres, comentó que se busca que el técnico conozca la liga y además tenga un estilo de fútbol “más latino, más mexicano”.

2. montakristo

montakristo New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    LOS ANGELES
    no mention of a manuel sol transfer either...

3. Differ

Differ Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The Sol transferI'm assuming is pretty much a no-go.

He deserves to retire with Guadalajara and actually saw some minutes against Queretaro in the friendly last weekend. Luckily that's a sign of things to come for this coming season now that Chato is gone.

Borboa is a quality forward with good aerial ability and good finishing. He has a decent pace and has showed promise in the game's he's started and subbed in at GDL.

Barrera is a quick right-back who can cross the ball pretty well and provide an option on offense down the wing. His defense is average, but with Claudio's tutelage he can be pretty solid.

Pretty good pick-ups in both players.

4. El Kapitan

El Kapitan New Member

Aug 28, 2005
  5. Frost redded

Frost redded Red Card

Jan 8, 2007
    Man this is really good news for chivas usa, im glad these guys are coming. Borboa has always been a good reserve, hes only 23 and still has alot of ahead of him. For sure he will progress, and pato alfaro, awesome player. He scored a golazo agianst boca jrs (argentinas best team) last year in the libertadores. Heres a vid of that goal he made, he makes the 3rd goal. http://youtube.com/watch?v=PJv3gDsqktU Johnny Garcia that also came from chivas guadalajara to chivas usa late last year makes the 1st goal in this video. [​IMG]

6. implacable

implacable New Member

May 16, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Borboa is indeed an interesting addition, I hope he adapts to the MLS well. Pato Alfaro? He's not coming, he'll be loaned to Veracruz. Seems like poor Pato just can't find consistency, he was a super sub for Chivas then went to Pachuca, barely played and now to Veracruz.
    The good thing is that Chivas owns plenty of players that are loaned out to other teams (Vela, Armas, Garcia, Parra, etc,etc heck even Romo and Begines are still Chivas property, in case they ever get good) so there's a pool where to pick from.

7. Squilch

Squilch Member

Jan 10, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think the 3rd goal there was scored by Alfaro (Enrique.) I don't think Borboa got in the game quite yet, as they started with Bofo and Bravo up front...

I wouldn't mind being wrong on this one...

Squilch

8. montakristo

montakristo New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    LOS ANGELES
    I think these are both good pickups, borboa especially... borbo isnt a flashy guy but he has a forward's knack for being in the right place at the right time to go along with his good finishing skills. if anything, i'm a little concerned if the speed of the mls game will affect them...

9. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great to hear that Chivas Usa is bolstering their lineup. Pretty sweet deal they have going where they loan younger players from Guadlajara to Chivas USA. With Razov, Bornstein, Guevara, and these young guys Chivas will probably be tough again.

I was hoping for overall competition in the league that they would find some reinforcements with garcia and palencia out.

10. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    I must say im not too excited about these players.. I have been following the Chiva Youth players and Borboa, much like Parra : who played with Chivas USA in a friendly against Americrap have yet to be regulars. I only mention Parra because he was at one point, much like Borboa, one of the clubs most promising youth players.

Borboa made a name for himself in the MFL reserves tourney a few years back. He joined the squad half way through the season and finished as the leagues top goal scorer, so he was quickly promoted to Tapatio, at the time Chivas 2nd Div Club, there he scored some more goals untill he was brough up to the main club were he made a few apperances, but thats just about it. Basically, Borboa failed to break into the first team.

Chivas youth set up is so good right now that if a player by age 23 is not in the first team he will get pretty much loaned out or sold as the club prepares the next batch of promising youngsters. Chivas top prospect right now is Ulises Davila, 15yr old striker allready part of the MNT U-17 squad.

As far as the pecking order went Borboa was behind Alejandro Vela, older brother of U-17 WC Champ Carlos Vela who was picked up by Arsenal. A. Vela is now at Jaguares. And Carlos would of definately been in the first team by now!

Renato Rivera seems set to get a few oportunities as is Javier Hernandez, who was picked up by Inter Milan youth team for a tourney, I belive he is still being scouted by them.

Anyways, I expect Borboa to be much like Jesus Morales, who joined the club last season. Fancy dribling, descent speed and then missing plenty of goals much like a wet firecracker.

I never liked Barrera much but he allways provided descent cover. However if he is not in the Guadalajara first team it's because the other players are better and as a CDCUSA fan I dont really want rejects in my club.

I honestly would prefer if the club used their foreign player slots on players that are set to remain in the club longer than one season. If we do get a player from Guadalajara it should be a good young player like Panchito Mendoza and be at the club at least three years.

I expect CDCUSA to pick up better players than this if they expect to improve from last season because aside from Guevara we have yet to get/replace players of the caliber of Palencia, Johnny Garcia, and Loco Rodriguez.

11. Ranka

Ranka Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Unlike Morales, Borboa has played for Chivas GDL and have score, not been able to get a starting spot in Chivas GDL at the moment is not surprising... specially if you consider who is there atm with Venado, Bravo and Bofo!

I won't consider these players rejects, rejects are those like Johnny Garcia.
    see my explanation for Borboa... somehow it matches yours regarding Barrera

Hmmm and who was Panchito before he came to Chivas USA?

Guevara is replacing loquito Garcia, Palencia is a hard one to replace and only time will tell if Borboa or even our draft pick Cunliff will pick up the slack, as far as Johnny Garcia, for the amount of time that he spent here... there is nothing to replace.

I am actually looking forward to seen these players here... unlike previous players we have had here... like Panchito, they are young and talented if we can get out of Borboa what we get out of Panchito that would be just awesome!

12. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    I had a chance to talk to Hans Westerhoff, this was before the inagural season, during a CDCUSA training session and he singeled out Mendoza, said he had bags of talent. Maybe he had not done anything to prove that but at least he was going to be on the club for a good while, this will be his third year here.

Morales was just here half a season, not sure what the deal with him was but whats the point of bringing players for one season or half a season. I rather have the youth players or reserves use of that playing time.

I expected more from Borboa at Guadalajara but he hasnt come through like the other players. Medina broke into the team at age 18! Had he been any better Chivas would of not gone after Sergio Santana.

Palencia is not hard to replace, IMO CDCUSA can even do better bringing in a player in his prime. Doesnt have to be Mexican, there are plenty good south american players than can fill that role.

Thats the thing with many of these players they are unproven at this level of play, Borboa for the past 3/4 years has only been playing in the lower divisions.

13. SENOB

SENOB New Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Legion 1908
    Rejects in Mexico could be really good here in the MLS. you can't compare the talent in the FMF to the talent in the MLS.

Who the hell is that guy? :D

14. RMoreno

RMoreno Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Southern California
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Has there even been a formal announcement on this matter?
    It's been mentioned in many shows and papers but there is
    still no mention of it on the Chivas Webpage or on MLS.net.

IMO Borboa would be a good trade for Morales.
    Barrera has seen "some" quality time in Guadalajara.

I am still waiting for that earthchattering signing that is gonna
    get us all really hyped about the upcoming season!

Go Chivas!

15. Ranka

Ranka Member

Apr 1, 2005
    If you are waiting for a signing like Beckham... you will continue to wait!

Chivas places a lot of emphasis on developing players... it is rare to see Chivas (Both GDL & USA) go after a big name just with money, that is why they traded their DP for Guevara!

going after big players is what other teams do. I think they have realized that in this league (MLS), Chivas needs to bring young players that will adapt to the physical and speed of the league and make a name for themselves like Panchito. why bring players that have a hard time adapting to the MLS? we need them young and with the "ganas" to play here. Borboa, has stated that he wants to play, and if he has to be here in Chivas USA to do so, so be it!
    how many times did you see Loquito Garcia walkout of the pitch with a smile in his face? even when Chivas would win, he would be the first one into the showers with a face like if he hated every second here.

now in regards to the announcement, I have heard that it would be during the week that the team starts to officially open training camp. sometime around the first week of February!

16. Ranka

Ranka Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Hehe!
    I am sure Westerhoff wasn't just saying that about Panchito Mendoza.
    I am sure he also said that about the other 9 or so that came that year with him.:D

17. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    What the hell are you talking about! All the Mexican Rejects from FMF have failed in MLS and have been shipped back to minor leagues in Mexico, even Palencia and "el loquito" garcia failed to become stars in MLS. Next time do some serious research before you "Claim" something.

18. SENOB

SENOB New Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Legion 1908

really? from what I remember Garcia was suppose to play in the All Star game but due to schedule issues was not able to make it. and I said Mexican rejects not "ALL" Mexican rejects. some just come here to retire, why do they need to bust their a** in this league? to impress some soccer moms when the play against the galaqueers? they don't care. also remember that no one in Mexico wanted Claudio Suarez but at the end of the season he was even in the race for best defender in the MLS...lol...

I was talking mainly about players like Borboa who are not good enough to keep a starters position in Chivas GDL's first team but will be one of the best players here. looks like the one that needs to do some serious research is you kid.

what a du*h. :D

19. L.A. SOCCER NATION

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    You are using the All-Star as a reference? (LOL). All of us knew including you that "Loquito Garcia" failed to become an MLS star anyways, my point is that so far since the start of MLS in 1996 no Mexican player has dominated MLS, I dont care if they take the league serious or not. Palencia is true man that will tell you that MLS is no joke and the league should be taken serious. If you can remember the first season of Chivas USA, they only had pure reject players from FMF, and Chivas USA all of sudden became the joke of MLS. It wasnt until they brought Bob Bradley, Razov, Bornstein all of which are domestic players that Chivas made the playoffs.
    In conclusion, If you hate MLS, thats all fine with me and I could respect that but dont try to make it seem that any player from Mexico can come to MLS and dominate. We have not seen it yet!

20. Legionario

Legionario New Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Kalifas
    First off.... the MLS is a development league. Coaches, owners, and Garber have said that. The league is hoping to move away from that. But Players come to the MLS for development and to retire. Ex: Reyna, Suarez, Hernandez, Campos, Ramirez, etc.

The place to play will always be Europe. Just because Beckham is going to come and waste away his career in LA, doesn't mean other, smarter players will follow him. No other player will ever get a deal like he got.

The good players stay in foreign leagues because of the competition. Beckham is coming for the money..... nothing else.

The FMF is a better league because of the talent that is there. The FMF is the best league in the Western Hemisphere because of it's parity and talent pool. There is a countless number of players that have gone to Europe from the FMF. Clubs like Atlas, America, Cruz Azul, Pumas are notorious for importing talent from South America and selling them off to European clubs.

Palencia never wanted to be here. He gave a half assed effort on the field everytime. Chivas USA lured Loco here with the pipe dream that this would be a stepping stone to Europe. They both rather have stayed in the FMF. From conversations with them.... the league is good. But it isn't taken seriously by other Leagues.

The MLS is getting better..... more clubs..... more talent.....

But I don't think the day will ever come where a kid in London says to himself, "I want to be the best footballer someday, and go play in the US!"

21. Frankie Boy

Frankie Boy Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Don't you remember the results in Chivas USA's first year??? Those FMF rejects sure lit it up in MLS :)

Key thing is to get players from Mexico that can adjust to the very different style of play in MLS. For those who can make it, it's great experience for when they go back to Mexico (or even if they are fortunate enough to play internationally!)

22. L.A. SOCCER NATION

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    At no time did mention that bringing Beckham to MLS, all of sudden we are some super league. I fully understand that when compared to other leagues, we are still and will continue to be the new kids on the block. I really dont want to get into a debate in regards to comparing MLS/FMF. For one, I do not follow the FMF and secondly I only debate on issues that are MLS related only! Like I have said before "Dont think that FMF rejects will suceed in MLS because they wont" so far the only team that currently imports rejects from Mexico is Chivas USA, and by comparing their two years of exitsence in MLS, It has been terrible!

23. L.A. SOCCER NATION

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    I never said that FMF is a minor league, I am fully aware that it is at a greater level when compared to MLS. Like I said "This discussion has nothing to do with MLS vs FMF. Whats so hard to understand.

24. montakristo

montakristo New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    LOS ANGELES
    claudio suarez has done great things in mls also, even at this point in his career.

when mls first started, missael espinoza was great in san jose as well.

thats just 2 off the top of my head but saying things like "palencia is the only player i have respect for" just because he attempted to validate mls to the mexican media is the reason people wont listen to the nuances of your points

25. L.A. SOCCER NATION

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    No! Excuse me but dont the majority of FMF teams currently rely more in imports from South America. Last time I checked it was thanks to a couple of players from Argentina that helped Pachuca win the Copa SudAmericana. Get your facts right.