Guatemalans Playing Abroad Part II (R)News,Updates and Misc.

Discussion in 'Guatemala' started by Guatefc, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Welcome to Part 2! part 1 had its nice run, when i thought it would be nice for a thread to be dedicated to our Guatemalan Football stars playing Abroad in more competitive Leagues then our very own domestic.

Here are a list of our Current Footballer Abroad

Carlos Ruiz
    Pos.: Striker
    Club: FC DALLAS
    League: MLS(USA top Flight)
    Scored 13 league Goals and 15 In all Competitions in the 2006 season, he lead his team and won the team Golden boot, also help his team win thier fist ever Conference Title and best overall finish (2nd)

Willie Sims
    Pos.: forward, Midfielder and left Mid
    Club: New England Revolution
    League: MLS(USA top flight)
    In his debut season he impressed his coach steve nicol(fmr Liverpool star).
    He lead the Reserve league team with 3 goals, he had 9 appearances for the 1st team starting 3 games, his best moment in his rookie season was his Assist against Scottish Premier league Power House Celtic F.C. in a midseason exhibition and Scoring a Hattrick vs the Bermuda Under-21 in the preseason.

Dwight Pezzarossi
    pos.:Forward
    Club: Numancia
    League: La segunda ( SPAIN'S 2nd highest Level of Football)
    currently in the middle of the season , pezza has seen little time because of the "log jam" and has had a season riddled with injuries. Pezza signed a loan deal after having a great second half of football for the now relegated Racing de Ferrol and is currently recovering & rehabing to get back to shape. There are rumors that Pezza could make a move in the 2007 transfer winter window to many intrested Clubs.

Mario Rodriguez
    Pos.: Right Midfielder
    Club.: Miami FC (via Municipal)
    League: USL-1(USA 2nd Highest level)

Was second in goals for his club(right behind Romario) ,7 goals and first in assist's, 5. He had a spectactular season in spite of the mid season injury.
    he went back to Municipal in the offseason back in october, and now his future is uncertain. There are Rumors that he will make His return to the USA top Flight the MLS,(Club not confirmed) or Come back to Guatemala.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rumors

Edwin Villatoro
    to Chivas USA
    MLS

Jose manuel Contreras to Columbus CREW MLS

Hernan Sandoval to Columbus Crew ,,

ENJOY , AND lets get 2007 started off properly

2. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    I would really love to meet whomever it is that's cranking the Guate rumor mill - extremely unlikey that Loco is in any MLS club's plans.

Here's why:

1) His rights still belong to Columbus for another year, so a team would have to value him highly enough to trade for his rights before even negotiating with him

2) He would have to be signed to a Senior International spot, of which teams have a maximum of 4, many of which are already filled

3) He was only ok for Miami last year and often injured - and yes, I saw four matches that he played in

4) He plays right wing at the MLS level, not forward. He's not big enough or dangerous enough to play striker in MLS. His crossing at right midfield is pedestrian at best, as is his defensive abilities.

5) The main clubs in the market for a right wing who do not have a player of Loco's level there already are likely Chicago, Kansas City and Dallas. All are either set or rumored to be bringing in bigger players at the spot (like DC).

6) Lastly, he didn't make much of an impact in his first go-around in the league so he's had his chance and didn't make enough of an impression

The fact that Municipal didn't even take a sniff at him for the lineup once he came back is also not going to help his cause.

As for Contreras and Sandoval:

Sandoval fell flat at the end of the season. Granted, he was injured, but he also didn't do anything in the final rounds of the playoffs when he was supposedly being "scouted" by the crew. With the comeback of Turcios towards the end, Contreras was playing out of position frequently and was exposed for a number of deficiencies which may turn off an MLS side, including lack of pace or defensive work rate. I can maybe see someone taking a gamble on Contreras, but not Sandoval at this point.

Lastly, Villatoro signed a long-term contract with Municipal this year. While he may be the most eligible candidate on the list, let's not forget that Municipal would have to sell him to MLS or loan him. Los Rojos are publicly known to drive up asking prices on Ruiz. So I can see how that may strain a relationship with MLS.

So I'd say Villatoro is a maybe and the rest are some crazy Guate press folks having fun in the offseason.

3. DCatracho17

DCatracho17 Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Chicago,USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    If there any interested teams for Pezza they surely cant be higher than second division teams , unless they are from croatia or greece.

4. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    they are most likely teams over here in the Americas, he has to stay healthy or grin and bear it over in Numancia.

5. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Pando to the MLS or Pando 2.0

yes according to lared :rolleyes:
    I seriously doubt it, but if they can get him in his natrual posistion in a good system he will thrive. i believe he has something to prove. the clubs interested is unknown.

http://www.lared.com.gt/internaCont.asp?id_cat=216&idc=164724

Marvin Avila and Florencio Martinez are also drawing interest, Most likely Guatemala's Big 2 Comunicaciones or Municipal, or Validating the earlier rumor of Suchi players going to the MLS ,or maybe i'm the only one noticing the correlation. but they might leave suchi after the 2007 Closing season

I guess Marvin "titiman" Goal vs Honduras and Florencio"Papito" goal vrs Venezuela has garnished interest

http://www.deportivosuchi.com/sintesis.html

also an interesting interview with Mario Rodriguez... He said he turned down oppurtunties With Vasco de Gama and An Australian A-League Team to be part of Municipal :rolleyes: ( talk about desperate), his future is uncertain
    http://lared.com.gt/internaCont.asp?idc=164715&id_cat=219

another 6 months in Miami ...columbus.....Guatemala??? we will see

6. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    No way that Pando is back in MLS. Again, he was marginally effective for most of the year in Guate.

And Pezza and Plata were both sure things for the Galaxy this year too :rolleyes: The press has to do better than repeating rumors they hear on the soccer field adjacent to their office building.

Loco "turning down" Vasco de Gama is laughable. Straight laughable. This is why these guys should just let their representatives speak for them. They sound dumb otherwise. At least an agent is paid to sound dumb.

I can see Avila drawing a look after his match in Atlanta versus Honduras. He played well. He's also young and growing stronger by the day.

The future of Guate players in MLS (near term) is not in 24+ year-olds, it's with the younger guys that can be brought out of Guate cheap as projects. That's my $0.02.

Oh, may I just return to Pando. Ha. No way.

7. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    pando going back to the MLS is a laughable notion, but we need to wait a few more weeks .

Avila And Martinez are certainely going to be nice picks where ever they go, If they go to the MLS i can see them get enough use on the Reserve team and Cup matches, Oppose to Municipal where they proably won't get the time they will get in the MLS.

they both had a good game versus Venezuela and Bolillo liked thier Explosiveness in a recent interview by prensa libre.

Mario is a great player who i believed matured in his time In Miami, if he leaves Muni it should be to Marquense or Jalapa

8. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    PABLO MELGAR & Pezzarossi Might go TO CHILE to play for:rolleyes:
    Club de Deportes Antofagasta
    [​IMG]
    in the Chile TOP Flight
    Pablo is the only Player i can see Compete as a Center Back in Chile since he played for la “U” Católica youth team, pezza i jus hope he get healthy and play somewhere

of course my source is weak, but it keeps this thread interesting
    http://lared.com.gt/internaCont.asp?idc=164809&id_cat=379

i wanna see pablo make it the most , he got snubbed out when he was about to make the move to europe( sofia levski).

he's got good marking skills and aerial defending, and his technique on the ball is quite decent

9. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    this thread deserves to be trashed until we get better players abroad. :mad: :rolleyes:

10. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Hola.

Por ahi alguien ya lo puso, pero queria informarles que Melgar y Pezzarrossi podrian firmar en Antofagasta (1era div. de Chile).
    Lo de Dwight lo veo dificil (sobre todo si esta en Espana), porque no creo que el CDA (Club de Deportes Antofagasta) tenga los recursos como para traerlo. De todas maneras, es buen jugador y no tendria problemas para adaptarse como ya jugo para Palestino y Wanderers.

Me intriga Melgar (cuyos abuelos son chilenos por lo que lei). Que tan bueno es? De seleccion? Si es de la seleccion, creo que seria una buena contratacion, pero si no, no le veo mucho sentido.

http://www.emol.com/noticias/deportes/detalle/detallenoticias.asp?idnoticia=241517

Metro

11. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    who????? Ruiz is Quality..... Sims is a up and comer.......

at least thry deserve a thread and a place to talk about them.

btw Melgar said he basically is part of Antofagasta just that municipal needs to come to an agreement for the transfer to go thru.
    nothing truly official yet of course, but here is the link,
    http://www.pcgol.com/Data/2005/guate/00/municipal3.htm
    hey what is Pablito's site again?

Melgar will show his worth in la copa de naciones

12. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
  13. drerodz

drerodz Member

Jan 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Is he available to play on the Guate NT?

14. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    So none could tell me anything about Melgar? :(

Metro

15. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    He's ok. That's it. He's been the general of the defense for Municipal for many years, is relatively young still, so he has good experience by Guatemala standards. I personally don't rate him. I think he's slow, not particularly technical and too short to play central defender. Put him on the outside and he doesn't have the pace to keep up. He'll do find in Chile, but he'd get smoked in Mexico or another league that was stronger.

16. drerodz

drerodz Member

Jan 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

Took the words right out of my mouth.

17. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
  18. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Any one here that Dwight might go back to Marquense!

good for them thet need a forward with lots of strength and ups whem they play Pachuca in the CCC

19. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    looks like Pablo will play in Chile top flight

sweet Jersey i think Bigsoccer sells it?

here he is in #23.....[​IMG]

good luck pablito , CD Antofagasta confirmed the signing

he will be there for 1 yr for the Summer and winter league

20. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Que paso con el chapin que andaba en Polonia? Swisher creo que era?

Metro

21. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Regresó a guate hace como un año , juega con Suchi.

22. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    This is not the first time hes been to Chile, I believe he played with Cobreloa before.

23. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I am pretty sure he hasn't.
    Dwight had been the only Guatemalan that played in Chile before.

Metro

24. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    I found he played for U Católica de Chile sub. 20 in 1998 , here http://www.pablomelgar.com/bio.htm

25. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    That is indeed interesting, but U. Catolica is a totally different team to Cobreloa. ;)
    Right after that, UC also signed Alonso Solis (CR), so maybe Melgar and Solis played together for a while (in the U20s or the reserves).

Metro