2007 Draft: Galaxy

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Baysider, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Time to get ready for the draft! Here is some basic information for those who have not been following closely (what, you are not obsessing about it like I am?)

MLS Combine: Jan 5-8

MLS Draft: Jan 12

Our Picks

1st round, pick 5 (overall)
    1st round, pick 10
    2nd round, pick 16
    2nd round, pick 20
    2nd round, pick 23
    4th round, pick 44
    4th round, pick 45

Although I think there is a chance that we may end up trading away some picks if we try to get another Beckham exemption.

3rd Degree’s position reviews

Keepers

Defenders

Midfielders: to come
    Forwards: to come

He also has ESPN articles, although the 3rd degree links are better as they are updated as things change, particularly as the Generation Addidas class is added.

2. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What do we know about the Galaxy’s plans? Not a lot.

Paul Bravo, in the Tutino interview, said that we were looking at a speed forward; someone who we could bring in late in the game to attack tired defenders. He mentioned Robbie Findley specifically. I’m a little surprised by this, as we already have some fast forwards on the bench (Glen, Glinton), so take it for what it’s worth. He also mentioned looking for versatile defenders along the line of Roberts.

Interestingly, he did not mention midfielders, our obvious need. This may just be Yallop not wanting to tip his hand before the draft. Of course, our midfield situation is still in flux. I hear that we are interested in some English guy.

There have been reports of two players trialling

Andrew Konopelsky

John Cunliffe

3. JZUA2003

JZUA2003 New Member

Jan 2, 2007
    I'm really hot on Ricky Schramm from Georgetown. I know that the Galaxy could use some depth at the forward position. He's a big time player who will be a steal in the later rounds if he doesn't go earlier.

4. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buzz's list for midfielders just came out:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=398305&root=mls&cc=5901

Buzz says midfield is a strength of the draft, but if it's just me the list doesn't look too impressive. I haven't seen any of these guys play much, though, so my impressions aren't worth much. But #4 Colaluca in the NCAA finals - he played awful & conducted himself worse. He can't have converted too many MLS scouts to his cause that day. Ashe & Dalby we all saw with the U-whatever nats, but they both have athletic deficits. Maybe Ashe will be the next Cobi, but on the left!

5. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have watched Edu, the Maryland defensive midfielder, and I think Buzz is right to give him props. He does resemble Sharlie Joseph in his play. Unfortunately, defensive mid is not exactly our weakest point.

6. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we're looking at replacements for Cobi, I think Corey Ashe from UNC would be a candidate for pace alone, or maybe Byrne from UCSB.

Is it just me or does this seem like a really undersized list of midfielders, and by undersized I'm referring to their height, 5-8? One was even referred to as a tweener! I'd say 5-10 is the minimum height you would want for a midfielder, especially a defensive midfielder.

7. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Hi Ricky, welcome to BigSoccer ;)

Since Schramm is not on the combine invite list he is unlikely to go early. In fact, he might not make the draft-eligible list at all. Supplemental draft picks tend to be local, so I would expect him to go to DC or NY rather than LA.

8. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah, American midfielders tend to be small since most kids with both size and athleticism tend to play other sports. The two players with some size are the holding midfielders, Edu and Dalby, but as the Cadaver says, its not really our need.

There will be some additions to the midfield list once the GA class is determined. My extremely early and highly speculative guess of who I would pick is Zizzo at 5 (if he lasts that long) and Jones or Sambursky at 10.

9. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again, I completely forget about Zizzo.

I agree with you on that, Zizzo should be our #1 priority when it comes to midfielders.

10. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word out of UCLA (and a family member) is that he is not coming out early for the MLS draft. Too bad because he is a natural to replace Cobi on the right.

11. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    I just looked at my schedule and it just so happens that I will be down in Miami for business on 1/5/07. And it just so happens that I'll be driving right by Lockhart Stadium on my way down. Hmm... I'll see if I can make a stop-by happen and give a first-hand account of some players. Where can I get a detailed schedule?

I predict we take Purdy (big defender) as one of our first round picks. He's old enough and big enough to step right in. I just don't know if he has the speed...

12. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's the case, then I think none of the UCLA guys will be dropping out early. Beltran will probably spend another year in college, and Nakazawa's not yet physically ready for MLS, I wouldn't expect him to declare himself eligible for the draft until 2009.

13. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This is turning into a very disappointing draft. With Rogers, Nguyen and Davies going to Europe, and Lapira, Zizzo and Reyering staying in school, there really isn't going to be much at the top end.

I guess it was kind of like this last year when they added Kamara and Sims late to the GA class.

14. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if we could grab Hidalgo with that 5th pick, or even the 10th pick. But judging by the way things are going, he'll probably decide to stay at USF for another year also. Quite a let down.

15. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is relative to the other positions. But yes, without the underclassmen signing GA this would not be a great set of players. Each year the Sr depth gets worse as the best players are picked out early by Ga or Euro deals.

16. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Do you think the advent of the youth systems will cause this to go down even further?

I mean if you're getting a much closer look at even more players in a "professional" environment, you'd have to guess more people would get picked either to stick with the MLS team or go to Europe...

17. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yes. It seems inevitable. How long is the question. 10 years before the superdraft = supplemental draft?

18. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A kid to look at with maybe a supplemental pick is Ryan Guy from USD. Lightning quick at the college level. Has played up top but more likely a right midfielder in MLS, reminds me a of young Brian McMullen. Can score goals and create them too. I don't know how well he will handle the physical side of MLS but I said the same about McMullen way back when, and I guess Sigi had the same concerns. Boy, were we a couple of idiots.

If anyone is down at Lockhart can you tell me how Ryan does please. He's a local kid and I know the family.

19. ChiBear

ChiBear New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    CA
    I would hope that if he is a young Brian Mullan... it is without all the diving and whining.

If he would actually have a little talent that would be a plus as well.

20. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It will be interesting to see if he comes out. I'm wondering if Zizzo decided to stay in college because he thinks that the U-20 championships will be a chance for him to show his stuff to European teams. Hidalgo, on the other hand, didn't make the team, so he might be more inclined to go pro now.

21. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found it weird how Hidalgo didn't make the team considering he scored against the Canadian U-20 Nats with a bullet header. I think it was the Harvard freshman Andreas Akpan got in ahead of him. Whatever.

On the other hand, perhaps Rigo didn't make the qualifying team because he'll be attending the combine? ;)

EDIT: Your probably right about Zizzo and the whole Europe thing. I wouldn't doubt that he'll get noticed.

22. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, Buzz. Well, that's bad news for the Galaxy, with all our draft picks this year. Hopefully Yallop & Lalas can get lucky/pick the right guys, or trade 'em for established players, but it's not looking too hot at the moment. Wonder who we'll pick with that 2nd rounder we got for Hartman?

23. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brian MULLAN, sorry for the mix up. My question is this, do you not think Mullan has talent? When I first saw Mullan play in the NCAA tournament his senior year I thought he would be outstanding in the pros. In four full years with SJ/Hou he has 16 goals and 33 assists and works his socks off from 18 to 18.

If a kid like Ryan Guy could give us that kind of production and two-way play I would be thrilled. He's not David Beckham or Luis Figo, but who is? And we're not getting those guys anyway. Let's face it, letting go of Mullan was huge mistake. Quavas Kirk isn't ready to replace Cobi just yet either.

Another question is what do you guys think about a deep lying central midfielder like Greg Dalby. I know we have Sturgis, but what if Yallop thinks Sturgis is a center back in the mold of Micheal Parkhurst. Let's not forget that is where he often plays with the Youth Nats.

I agree with one of the previous posters on Cory Ashe. He's another speedster with the ability to score goals and create them for others. I'd give him a good look at the combine.

24. SoCalian

SoCalian New Member

May 17, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I'd like to try to get Greg Dalby. We need help in mid and in defense, with him and sturgis, we dould have both. I think he would be a good pick if we could get him.

25. ChiBear

ChiBear New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    CA
    While, I agree that Mullan works his butt off 18 to 18... I find him pretty one dimensional as a player.

While, by MLS standards, he can be an adequate wing player... what I really do not like about him, is that in my opinion, he has turned into one of the biggest divers in the league. In addition, it seems as though after every call, he standing in front of the referee whining.

So to answer your question, I think he is very limited as a player... and has chosen to work on his diving and whining instead of improving his ability. I would not want to see him back with the Galaxy.