WashPost :: Prideaux to Rapids for picks; United interested in Palermo

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by geordienation, Dec 15, 2006.

1. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    From Goff . . . .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/15/AR2006121500913.html

also:

Meantime, as it continues its pursuit of South American talent, United has expressed interest in Boca Juniors star forward Martin Palermo and appear close to signing a right-side midfielder from Brazil, two sources said late last night.

Palermo, 33, is among the most popular players in Latin America and was once one of the world's top scorers. He has also played for Villarreal, Real Betis and Alaves in Spain and made seven appearances for Argentina's national team. It's unclear how much interest he has in MLS.

2. DC_Gunner

DC_Gunner New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    DC / Cambridge, MA
    Re: WashPost :: Prideaux to Rapids for picks

Yeah, Martin Palermo would be a funny pickup, he's still pretty good, but he's old and his name recognition whcih we might be paying for wouldn't be worth so much here.

3. Diablo10

Diablo10 New Member

Can't say that this is a surprise as Brandon really wasn't getting much playing time after his injury. Anyway, goodluck BP! Say hello to Petke! :D

4. Amores Perros

Amores Perros Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Kuala Lumpur
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Who is DC so interested in from this years (2007) draft? What draft pick numbers did Colorado give up?

5. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I doubt they'll get him, but Palermo could be quite effective in MLS for 2 years.

6. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia

I always felt good knowing Prideaux was one our bench, a good defender that could be pluged in on either side. But he is too good and paid too much to be a reserve player.

And as for the other news, :D

7. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Yep, just got my MLS-sponsored DC United text message - 2 third-round SuperDraft Picks from the Crapids, one in 2007 and one in 2008, for Prideaux - or as Blondie calls him, Preducks.

Another bites the dust, it seems.

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

So does this mean the Hudson era is officially over?

9. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA

Interesting. It seems like the Payne-Kasper-Nowak philosophy is to give players or a team 2 years to get it together. After 2 years, you either have shown enough promise to justify a contract (if you're a junior/reserve player) or if you're a team, worthy of being kept together.

Last season, people were bemoaning about how TFKAM and others were making moves and we were standing pat. Nowak and Payne's response was "we like our team."

The evidence now seems to be that our braintrust has decided to remake the team. Not just dump one player for a good deal. But in dealing Rimando and Prideaux, releasing Donnet, it says that they concluded that last year's team did as well as it could do.

Given this, I wouldn't be surprised to see us move Eskandarian (who Arena covets) if the right offer is made.

10. ZoomZip

ZoomZip Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Crystal City, VA

We still have Christian Gomez... or is that not what meant? :D

11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

Gomez may have been scouted by Hudson, but he never played for Hudson.

But it just seems to me that Nowak is systematically trading/cutting loose the veteran players Hudson brought in.

12. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA

What style of soccer does Palmero play and how big is he?

Is he similar to Jaime or Gomez?

Would he do anything about our lack of threat in the air?

13. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA

I'm confused about the backline being "set".

Erpen is getting the boot, right? Or was that just a rumor?

14. chessplayer

chessplayer Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Richmond, VA

So, who will be our reserve defender(s) then? I read that John Wilson may be done for good or for a long time with his injury, and David Stokes is looking to Europe, and personally he doesn't seem to have come along to MLS level yet. I guess we'll be picking up the next Boswell in the draft (or skipping the draft entirely, as in Boswell's case). I think we need more speed in the back.

15. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA

I haven't seen Palermo play for a while now, but if he's fit and anywhere near his old form, I'd take him.

16. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

You can look to Europe, but that doesn't mean Europe is REALLY looking back at you. ;)

17. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA

He's almost all "air"--he brought a Bolton feel to Boca :D

Seriously, for what he does, he's very good, but he dyes and frosts his hair.

On a sad note, his wife lost a baby in the ninth month recently (a couple months ago) and I'm not sure how much she would want to up and move that far away. You have to consider all the factors here.

18. ZoomZip

ZoomZip Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Crystal City, VA

Just joking, but that's an interesting overall interpretation you have there. Let me offer another: These are moves in anticipation of new ownership. It seems to me that DC is looking to a system of trying to be the most efficient team in terms of salary $ spent. Think of it as imposing a "performance based pay" concept. If you're not an everyday starter, then we don't want to pay you much above the league minimums. We're clearing out salary in exchange for using $ on players we think will either have big impact, or for cheap options (draft picks and the like) where we can get value.

As a result, this team is more attractive in the balance books. If I'm right, then Alecko Eskandarian may be the next to move from a "production to salary" standpoint. Ives shot down the Esky-NYRB rumor, but the idea that Esky might be shopped around, and DC would move him for things that seemed cheap in comparison. Just a thought.

19. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hope so. I haven't been on this forum much the past few weeks.

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I want Erpen to stay.

20. ZoomZip

ZoomZip Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Crystal City, VA

It would not shock me to learn that Josh Gros is being pretty much fully converted to an outside defender.

21. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

DC really needs to pick up some depth on the defensive line.

I'm certainly not convinced that trading established players for draft picks is a good move for United based on Nowak's atrocious draft record to this point. Hopefully they do a better job this time around.

22. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was starting to view Brandon as the insurance policy for the backline. I wasn't all that concerned about injuries or suspensions to the regular 3, because he was a capable fill in.

That said, he was making quite a bit for a reserve.

23. Deltasix

Deltasix New Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Silver Spring

Same here. Not only do I actually *gasp* enjoy his playing style (minus about 1-2 stupid plays per game) but if DC is letting him go, thats going to be quite weakened defense we have.

Good luck to Prideaux.

24. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

I'm with you on this bigred, I like Erpen. He has brainfarts but he has done well. not sure if Wilosn is much of a backup though. I'd still like to get another defensive guy.

Palermo would be wonderful in my mind. Considering he also played for Villarreal I'm all for him.:D He would work very well with Jaime and Gomez in my opinion, his age hasn't slowed him down too much.

He scored a hell of a goal against Estudiantes this past week. Of course he has great service so THAT we would need.

25. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC

Exactly, but if you can go out and sign a player of similar or slightly less caliber for half the price, you do it.

Prideaux obviously wasn't going to challenge for a first team spot, so why keep him? Bring in the next Boswell that will. And you save $45k on the salary cap.