2007 MLS SuperDraft Prospects

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Bonji, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but on the up side, you get to keep the t-shirt.

2. rarateck

rarateck Member

Jul 8, 2006
    What are your views on Ricky Schramm? and I also believe you should keep a look out for Brendan Dunn the Freshman GK for VT?

3. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Steve Purdy from Cal will be invited to the combine unless he goes on trial in Europe again.

4. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure they aren't talking about the USL combine in December and not the MLS combine in January? Like Bill had mentioned they haven't even started sending out invites for the MLS combine. The USL combine is going to have more players and I could see more players from D2, D3 and NAIA programs.

Also, the best D3 player is a junior and probably not coming out early and no where near Iowa.

5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much closer to, say, Grantham, PA?

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    That's the one.

It'll be interesting to see where he goes in the 2008 MLS draft and how much playing in D3 hurts his stock.

7. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Who is this?

And the guy that scored for the U-20's against Guatemala can't be that bad.

He's in D3.

8. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anthony Wallace? He's at University of South Florida, which I don't think is D3 since it is in the Big East.

9. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    That was in the actual game.

Kris Banghart scored in the scrimmage.

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_281500.html

10. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Building on the work of Myshap, Monty and Sandon, I've sorted by year and added Byrne. I wanted to add Nigel Marples, Gonsalves, etc, but realized that Canadians were specifically excluded.
    1982 - SI for 2007 draft:
    Omar Cummings F Cincinnati Jamacia -- 7/13/82
    Michael Todd F Hofstra England -- 2/11/82
    Sebastian Hansel F Towson Germany-- 3/16/82
    Patrik Engstrom D St. John's Sweden -- 2/24/82
    Bryan Byrne, M UCSB Ireland -- 2/18/82 another guy that could play in MLS but would be SI which is tough.

1983 - YI for 2007 draft but only 1 year left before becoming SI in 2008:
    Dane Richards F Clemson Jamacia -- 12/14/83
    Andrew Boyens D New Mexico New Zealand -- 9/18/83
    Frederico Moojen F Clemson Brazil -- 2/25/83
    Constantinos Christoudias M Hofstra Cyprus -- 9/21/83
    Adam Mitchinson D Hartwick England -- 11/20/83
    Makan Hislop D South Carolina T&T -- 9/3/85

1984 - YI for 2007 draft but 2 years left before becoming SI in 2009:
    Tommy Krizanovic F Jacksonville Croatia -- 11/20/84
    Kurt Morsink M JMU Costa Rica/US -- 6/27/84 *per Sandon may have dual.
    Chris Archer M High Point England -- 8/2/84
    Jarrod Smith F WVU New Zealand -- 6/20/84
    Ayo Akinsete F South Carolina England-- 9/26/84

1985 - YI for 2007 draft with 3 years left before becoming SI in 2010:
    Ben Hunter F UNC England -- 6/16/85
    Kareem Smith D South Florida T&T -- 1/1/85

Unknown:
    Alex Harrison F CCSU England -- Not listed
    Darren Toby M Charleston T&T -- Not listed
    Mynor Gonzalez D SMU Guatemala -- Not listed
    Craig Potter D Hartwick Scotland -- Not listed
    Santiago Fusilier D NC State Argentina -- Not listed
    Matthew Anstey M WVU Australia -- Not listed

Based on MLS site - A Youth International is a non-domestic player (i.e., non-U.S. citizen and non-green card holder) who is 24 years old or younger during the season in question. At the beginning of the year in which the player is due to reach the age of 25, this player will be re-classified as a Senior International. .

Basically, 84 or 85 shouldn't be too tough to fit in a YI slot (if available of the 3). 83 would be iffy, need to be waived or take a SI in 2008. 82 would just be very hard to justify even though I really like Byrne and Todd unless a slot is not going to be used. Cheap, int'l slot.

11. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    I want to make sure I under the rule in terms of the year that is used to determine whether a player is 24 or 25. It appears to be a calendar year, January 1 to December 31.

So, let's say a player is born in December and will turn 25 in December 2007. That means, even though he is 24 years old during the entire MLS regular season and post-season, he is considered to be 25 for the purposes of the YI/SI distinction (and thus must be an SI). Correct?

And is the rule the same for domestic developmental roster players (if player turns 25 any time during that calendar year, including December, he cannot be a developmental player that season)?

12. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Yes, you picked up some of the intricacy (mysteries) of this rule. I can't say definitively. However, I think both SI and Dev both use calendar year, 1/1 to 12/31. The MLS site uses season consistently which causes this confusion. However, I believe that all contracts run through 12/31 and this is what is intended. Otherwise, the end date would need to be MLS cup.

MLS should define season as being calendar year or say what the period really is.

13. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I suspect that you're confusing Byrne's quality with his maturity. I mean, guys like Adolfo Gregorio and Ty Maurin weren't up to MLS standards, but if they had stuck around in college till 2006, they would've been awesome. And they're both still younger than Byrne.

Back when Byrne was the age of a normal senior, he wasn't even a starter, and last year, at age 23, he was only Second-Team All-Big-West. His success in college is all about having a few extra years of development.

14. Futbolife

Futbolife New Member

Jan 5, 2006
    the mere fact that Riley Oneil from the University of Kentucky is not on anybodys list is absurd, look at his stats, he is going to the mls combine and will definatley be picked up in the superdraft if Toronto doesnt try and pick him up first.

15. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And years from now you get to tell your grandkids that you were good enough to have gotten a tryout with a MLS Team. MLS by then will be on par footing with the best leagues in the world. If you keep a few pictures of yourself at the tryout and the tee shirt as proof the kids will be mega impressed. :D

16. Lord15

Lord15 New Member

Jun 20, 2001
    Southeast
    They're talking about Kai Kasiguran.

17. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Impressive stats are less meaningful than being able to translate your game to the pro level. Pro leagues in the US are littered with the remains of guys who flexed their muscles in college but couldn't work in a pro system against pro-caliber players. For every John Elway there're a number of Andre Wares and Ty Detmers.

18. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    A lot of the players invited to the combine last year went undrafted.

19. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Riley O'Neil is Canadian which is why i believe no one listed him in this thread.

20. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess you haven't looked at my lists or the combine invite list.

21. Yankee Hybrid

Yankee Hybrid New Member

Dec 28, 2006
    NoodlesMac is spot on.

For some reason soccer fans in the US believe that statistics alone show the true value of a player. Joe Blow scores 13 goals in one season he definitely deserves a call up to the Nats.

Herculez Gomez is a perfect example. Defenses needed to put additional pressure on Donovan which allowed Gomez extra time and space to score goals in 2005.

Sure, he can score from distance, but he was not close to as good as that season indicated.

22. JZUA2003

JZUA2003 New Member

Jan 2, 2007
    I feel like Ricky Schramm is the kind of guy that has shown strong leadership since he was a freshman and a keen ability to put the ball in the net. Because of his weak squad, he rarely gets the credit he deserves. He's been Big East POTY before and always is the man most heavily marked by opposing defenses.

Do people think he could be a sleeper in this draft where it seems that only big name prospects are surfacing at top players?

Also, where could people see him being drafted?

23. rarateck

rarateck Member

Jul 8, 2006
    I agree completely, Ricky Schramm is a great player, but he is getting no attention. We must remember about half of the Players drafted were not invited to the Combine this may or may not help ricky. If we can recollect ricky was awalk-on at Georgetown I expect to see him do the same thing in the Pros. he is getting no attention will prob go in the later rounds but he will impress watever club he plays for and work his way into the starting 11.