ROB to NE?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by JMMUSA8, Nov 14, 2006.

1. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some adidas MLS players this weekend had a game against corporate sponsors. It took place the same time as the tailgate. One of the players that played was Ronnie O'Brien. When he was waiting for his next game he commented to what I believe was either a league or team (FC Dallas) official (jokingly) that he wanted to leave the league and then go to New England. I perked up when I first heard this and asked if he was joking but with a straight face answered me and 3 other Revs fans that for the last two years he's been trying to get out of Dallas and been requesting trades to NE. I say with two allocation coming our way (Joseph and Dempsey) we should use one and trade it for O'Brien. Ralston is getting old and he would be a perfect replacement. The Revs should make a deal that FC Dallas can't refuse. Ronnie has 2 years left on his deal.

2. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Isn't he left-footed?

I would love him on our team. He has above average skill and pretty good size.

As for Ralston, I wouldn't mind if he was converted to a defender for us.

3. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 in the back? I like our 3 back because of the abundance of midfielders we have, although that might diminish next year.

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always thought he played on the left side but guys on the dallas board corrected me a few times and said he usually plays on the right. ROB would be a great fit for this team. give them an allocation an a few coupon booklets from dunkin donuts!

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ROB on the right side and move Ralston over to the left mid. I'd like to see that

6. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not if we get Figo. Both transfer fees would be huge and Garber said MLS teams would get a substantial amount of money from the fees now.

7. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm not sure what this has to do with O'Brien, but the Revs would need to sell their whole team off at inflated prices to pay for the rumored $20 million/ 5 year offer Figo's already got from MLS (Chivas). That's after getting a decent jersey sponsorship deal, doubling attendance, and getting a dowry from the Portugese royal family. I thought he was the obvios DP for this area, but that offer threw me for a loop.

Anyhow, if we were to lose Joseph, I bet we'll play a 4-4-2 next season. Hopefully, our players are up to playing counter-attacking soccer.

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not according to this article from 3rddegree. I've added the link, but I'd highly not suggest going ... because the picture on that link just killed me. Here's the important part:

9. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monty, I'm not saying that there is a trade in the works, I'm just saying he wants to play in NE. And the Revs should get him.

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand what you're saying ... I'm just noting that it doesn't look like it's realistic. I want the Revs to win the Cup. But it hasn't happened either. :(

11. Tobas

Tobas Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Littleton, MA
    From talking to some of the Dallas fan's this weekend it appears the largest part of the problem for ROB was with Clarke. ROB appears to have been looking to leave all year, with NE as one of the primary picks as to where to go. Now that Clarke is gone, ROB may be more content to give Dallas another try.

12. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he made it clear to us that he wants to go to NE. He was looking to get out of Dallas but he was more interested in going to NE. Clarke is gone and he still wants out. I can't really blame him, the Irish Rover is the closest he'll have that makes him feel at home (and ask anybody who went down there, the only reason they consider it an Irish bar is the Guiness flags that are drapped throughout the bar.)

13. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    He may want to, but it probably won't be his decision if they can get a lot from TFC.

14. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see him come here. Knowing our front office, instead they will find a crappy brazillian no one has ever heard of for $35k who will suck and never actually play here

15. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How bout Pepe for ROB?

16. peabrainedidiot

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    love pepe, but I'd take this in a heartbeat. but, I don't think Dal would want the pepe contract. keep in mind, they dumped EJ to make $ room.

17. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I'll take ROB over JOB anyday, Ronnie's a great player (and a hunky replacement for Joe-Max) and I'd love to see him get out of those fake hoops and join a side with some real scottish in 'em.

18. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ROB makes more.

19. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad he's Irish.

Oh yea, Pepe and Lochhead for ROB ;)

20. peabrainedidiot

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow:confused:
    I knew they both made a lot but, I didn't realize rob was more. thx

21. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just got to remember we are cheap. We pay the guy with the most assists on the team 24K. The best forward in the league makes 8 times less then a guy who scores two goals.

22. peabrainedidiot

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how can we forget:eek:

23. idiot wind

idiot wind Member

Mar 12, 2004
    I really like ROB, but I think we've got a better Rmid in Andy Dorman (if Nicol would just leave him there). At this point I'd rather see us dig up a left midfielder, a faster striker, and an attacking mid who can shoot.

24. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What he said.

25. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I know he's Irish, I said he needs to get out of those fake hoops (a.k.a. trying to be Celtic, a scottish club) and get to a club with some real scottish flavor.