UEFA Euro 2008 on ESPN/ABC

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by joebloe888, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joebloe888

joebloe888 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 1, 2005
    Fuyutu Island
    I am now hearing from a 3rd party that ESPN, Inc. has submitted a big bid for the U.S. TV rights to Euro 2008.

UEFA has required that at least 8 (out of 31) Euro 2008 matches be made available on "free to air" broadcast TV in each country where Euro 2008 will be aired, including those countries outside Europe.

Euro 2008 on ABC? We'll have to wait and see...

--

Also, I would not be surprised if ESPN (Int'l) were to bid for the U.S. TV rights to one of the English Premier League TV packages, quite possibly with another partner (no mystery who that partner might be), against the Setanta-FOX Sports Int'l consortium.

2. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: ESPN - Good or Bad for Soccer, Part II

What does UEFA consider free to air? Would ESPN or ESPN2 fit in that category? I can't see 8 matches on ABC itself.

Any idea on when the winners would be announced?

Anything to keep Euro 2008 off of Setanta or PPV works for me.

3. joebloe888

Aug 1, 2005
    Fuyutu Island

"Free to air" means terrestrial broadcast TV that is available with an antenna.

I suspect that UEFA and SPORTFIVE approached ESPN, Inc. with regards to the U.S. TV rights to Euro 2008, not the other way around.

ABC certainly has room to take 8 Euro 2008 games on weekend afternoons during the summer, as the only other major summer sports programming ABC has in its inventory is The (British) Open golf major.

4. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

It would be nice for ESPN to get the rights. Usually when the US isn't involved they don't care but if ESPN gets them then I don't have to spend like $150 on that Setanta package again...

5. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If true, it seems a bit preposterous on part of UEFA to come up with this new requirement. I can understand FIFA, but UEFA requiring terrestrial rights in places like USA, Canada, Australia?!?!?! :confused: Who do they think they are?

I know, I know. This would be great from the perspective of fans in this part of the world. But does UEFA (a regional body, as opposed to FIFA an international body) really think it has so much clout that they can demand terrestrial rights in regions it doesn't even govern? That would be somewhat akin to NFL demanding terrestrial rights in Germany, and MLB demanding terrestrial rights in Japan and so on.

Sorry, I realize this post is not directly related to the thread. Feel free to move this discussion to another thread if deemed necessary.

6. Elisa Uranga

Elisa Uranga New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Sierra Madre, CA

I heard Setanta was going after the Euros. Very interesting..... I hope there is a major bidding war.

7. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000

ABC certainly has room to take on the Euro, but Euro is not the World Cup. It's appeal to the American audience is minimal.

In this country, Euro has been on only one terrestrial TV platform before: SIN, Univision's predecessor. That's how I watched the Euro in 1984 (when SIN's satellite transmissions of 2.5 hours cut off when Denmark X Spain went into penalties. That was pre-internet age so there is no other way to find out the score). It makes more sense for Disney to sub-licensethe the 8 games to Univision instead of putting them on ABC.

8. joebloe888

Aug 1, 2005
    Fuyutu Island

I do NOT believe UEFA went through the trouble of courting ESPN, Inc. (i.e. John Skipper) so that ESPN would have the ability to sublicense the 8 Euro 2008 games to the likes of Univision.

I expect those 8 Euro 2008 games to end up live on ABC, with re-broadcasts on ESPNU, if and when ESPN, Inc. gets the deal done with UEFA and its agent. UEFA probably would put the "8 games live on ABC" requirement in the contract itself.

As for the ratings of Euro 2008 on ABC: a 1.0% average for the first 7 games, with a 1.5% rating for the final, should be achievable even with minimal promotion. A 2.0% rating for the final would be amazing given that Euro 2008 does NOT appeal to most American sports TV viewers.

(The 1999 Womens' World Cup final, with the US involved, got a 10% rating on ABC, while the 2003 Women's World Cup final got only a 1% rating on ABC because two European teams were involved.)

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

Yeah, I agree. "UEFA requires 8 matches on free TV" or else what???? What can they do? Take away our free Champions League? Oh wait... we don't have that to begin with. :rolleyes:

Anyway, this sounds like a rule that is targetted at UEFA nations, not the USA.

I just hope that ABC and ESPN don't end-up with the entire Euro 2008 package. Keep it on PPV (at least the majority of matches) and let us get proper coverage (read: British-feed) of this tournament.

10. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And if anyone wants to do a study on why soccer isn't popular in the U.S., this could be Exhibit 1, a supposed soccer fan who doesn't want the sport to ever get off the ground here.

11. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Good lord, that's a dumb idea.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

We'll see how dumb it is when it becomes a reality.

Some would say having a baseball announcer broadcast European soccer games while having the TV screen cluttered with baseball scores during each match, is dumb.

Don't let the existing football fans down, Setanta. Up your price if you have to. Real fans will have no issues with paying $200 to watch the most competitive international tournament in football.

13. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Fixed

14. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, let's leave soccer to "real" fans, i.e. fans who pass BocaFan's definition, whatever that may be. Let's not do stupid things like grow the game, which airing the match on ABC or ESPN might do.

And I have a huge issue with paying $200 for an international tournament, so I guess I'm not a real fan.

15. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Setanta always have the Euro rights, they had the last 2 Euros on PPV for that $200 package that everyone is talking about with British coverage.

If ESPN do get the Euros, let's hope they make Derek Rae announce since he does Champions League, which is the other European thing ESPN shows, so naturally he'd be first choice right?

I don't want to hear Marcelo Balboa messing up player's names and saying "Look, this is what you have to do....that was a good foul....etc...."

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

Well, that's just it. I don't believe that showing this tournament on ESPN/ABC will grow the sport in America.

So the next best-thing is to have all the matches available to us LIVE and broadcasted properly, which ESPN/ABC isn't capable of.

17. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

true, I don't see how ESPN could/would air every match live like they did with the World Cup....

18. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Euro 96 was carried pretty much entirely LIVE on ESPN + ESPN2 combined together. Nothing was on ABC back then though. This is probably the first time I'm hearing of a Euro competition on (terrestrial) ABC.

19. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, it will be on in bars and restaurants that show ABC and ESPN as a matter of course.

Euro 2004 got a lot of play in my area thanks to Portugal hosting. Think some of those people reading those stories might have actually watched the final if it was on TV? Nah, no chance of that.

You must hate the CL broadcasts then.

So you prefer that the broadcast be catered to you, even if it means 99.999% of the country won't see it.

Yeah, that's brilliant.

20. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why not? What else is on besides baseball?

If they can do it for the World Cup, they can do it for the Euros. It's the same time frame.

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

And how many people are in the average bar at 9:00 in the morning? Or even at 3:00p?

:confused: It was on TV.

You must have been in Little Portugal. I went there for the final. Had no problem finding a bar showing the game for free (apart from drinks & food).

It's not about "hate". I would still enjoy watching Euro 2008 even if ESPN did it. But I prefer if Setanta does it (either the $15/month channel or the PPV channel). Just like I prefer to watch a CL game on Setanta than on espn2.

I got some disturbing news for you: a negligible %age of the country will see it even if its on ESPN.

But with Setanta, anyone who wants to watch it, can. That's what is most important thing, not whether joe 6-pack is more likely to stumble upon a match while channel-surfing because its on ESPN.

IF ESPN gets exclusive rights, I assure you they won't show every match LIVE.

Yeah, but they won't get anything close to the same ratings. Hence, they won't have the same budget to cover it, nor will the matches get the same high-level of priority (say if a baseball game conflicted with a Euro 2008 match).

In other words, the tournament wouldn't get the same treatment as it would if it was on Setanta.

22. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I personally do not want to see the European championships on espn if the . European championships are on espn then. The main announcer will probably be Dave O' Brien I doubt very much that ESPN will use the BBC announcers or whoever is doing the game. Also I doubt that theywould show every game. I get the feeling that with ESPn they would show selected matches, preferably on the weekend, becuase the USA is still too focused on the more "american" sports.
    If the USA is not participating the american public tends npot to take it seriously, so that the only people watching would be us football fans. I would rather have it on Sentanta or Pay per view. I would not mind coughing up $100 for the tournament for BBC and British announcers.
    SimonT

23. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I liked the Setanta package I paid for in 2000 and 2004. You get every game, along with pre-game/half-time/post-game analysis from REAL analysts that know what they are talking about. Well worth the money and in 2008 I look forward to buying it again.

24. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston

Thread split from the ESPN Bashing thread

25. joebloe888

Aug 1, 2005
    Fuyutu Island

I don't believe you will be given that choice for the following reasons:

1. UEFA apparently wants 8 Euro 2008 matches to air LIVE on ABC.

2. The Setanta-FSI consortium will not be stupid or egotistical enough to get into a bidding war with ESPN, Inc. There is no way Setanta-FSI can win that battle.

At this point, I look forward to having access to all 31 Euro 2008 matches LIVE, on the ESPN Networks, in both HD and SD: 8 on ABC (as required by UEFA), up to 19 on ESPN2, and at least 4 on ESPN, with all 31 matches re-aired on ESPNU.