Baltimore Bayhawks lacrosse team moves to Washington -- DC United implications

Discussion in 'Lot 8' started by TOTC, Nov 7, 2006.

1. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    http://www.examiner.com/a-383287~Bayhawks_relocating_to_D_C_.html

Note that part of the present owner group's gripe with Towson was that it could not share in revenues.

Could it be that the team may share Poplar Point and/or RFK with United?

I doubt that the team would move to Georgetown -- virtually no parking (convenient parking at that) for large events. Same with Catholic.

Maryland, perhaps. Soccerplex, perhaps.

Thoughts? Could DCU and the Washington Bayhawks and the next women's soccer franchise coexist at The Point?

2. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    I am sure they could.

Maybe we can even lure The Bruce back to coach back all 3 teams! :D:D:D

3. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't we actually need a stadium to rent to them for there to be implications?

4. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly hope not for several reasons:
    1. Lacrosse destroys fields almost as bad as football.
    2. Professional Lacrosse is a smaller draw than the WNBA, not much shared-revenue for the owners to gain from this.
    3. I don't see that league sticking around too long... even with Lacrosse being one of the fastest-growing sports in the country.
    4. Lacrosse lines on the pitch... almost as bad as football.

Don't take this as me hating lacrosse, I enjoy watching the game, I've considered playing the sport, I just don't think it's a good idea. For the amount of fans that they'll draw, let them play at the Soccerplex.

5. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They only draw a couple of thousand fans. They can play at UMd or something.

With all the bitching and moaning about field quality from MLB and MLS, do you really think that either or both teams would agree to let lacross in? And what would that do to scheduling?

If they're still around in 09+, then maybe there could be discussions. Hey, money's money.

6. Aaron Stollar

Aaron Stollar Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Falls Church, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I am reading too much into the location of the upcoming press conference (Georgetown) but I bet they are playing on Georgetown's multi-sport field which is soon to be completed. That size 4-5k makes sense for that team.

[​IMG] Here's a rendering of what it will look like.

7. captinboondoggle

Aug 31, 2001
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were 4-8 with only 6 home games. When does the season start/end?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

8. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it's pretty obvious that the off season is here.

9. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Maybe DC United can play their US Open Cup games there!

10. Aaron Stollar

Aaron Stollar Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Falls Church, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, it's field turf and it's going to have football AND lacrosse markings on it since both of those Georgetown teams plan on using it.

11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no one in their right mind would attend a lacrosse game unless thier kid was playing in it. And like has been said, it destroys the grass, it should be played in parking lots, it might actually be interesting that way with the chance for injuries ;)

12. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Yeah, but the Bayhawks won't get a scintilla of parking unless they get a really sweet deal from the university. I am not so sure it will happen.

13. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Is this going to be on the hilltop or is it in that swale between the buildings where they play gridiron football now?

14. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    I play on field turf. While it is not grass, it is great and it is easy on the joints. Much more importantly, it can be played on under any conditions.

It is also easily accessible to everyone from DC, Virginia and Maryland (It may be a bit of a walk from the Metro but what the hey).

15. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Turf works well for lacrosse. It may even be preferred.

16. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    What will they change their name to The White Plains Foulodor or the Anacostia Polluters? Wasn't lacrosse a major flop here recently?

17. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    The Washington Power flopped because the people who brought the Baltimore Thunder here thought that they could sell the first few rows of the lower section for upwards of $100 a seat like it was courtside NBA or something.

They waaaaay overpriced the tickets, inducted people into a "Washington Power Hall Of Fame" before every single game in a 10-minute ceremony between the National Anthem and player introductions, and then when they couldn't draw in MCI, moved to the Capital Center. The Power were the last team to play a game in that building.

18. McLean FC

McLean FC Member

Dec 15, 2005
    McLean, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    i read that the power averaged less than 2k a game.

and here i was thinking the caps make MCI look barren...