Dempsey to Atletico?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Matrim55, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A friend from MLS front office says that Atletico Madrid, under prompting from coach Javier Aguirre, are interested in Clint Dempsey. A little background: Aguirre was the Mexico coach from 2000-2002, played in NASL in the early 80s and still has strong ties in the US. He's fluent in English and was actually one of the foreign coaches considered to replace Sampson in 98 before the fed eventually decided upon Arena.

Dempsey would seemingly fit in fairly well at Atletico because they just recently lost both their wingers (Maxi Rodriguez and Martin Petrov) to season-ending knee injuries.

The guy who gave me the rumor has a hit-and-miss record over the past 9 months, though he did give me the Red Bulls purchase and Matt Jansen's training session before anyone else. So take it with a grain of salt, but keep your eyes open.

Food for thought: Maybe this is why MLS turned down the offer from Charlton? A bidding war, albeit a minor one, could double Clint's pricetag by the time the window reopens in January.

2. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey's going to be thanking his lucky stars he DIDN'T go to Charlton by the time this thing's all over.

3. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    Atletico would be a fantastic place for Duece, but I'd prefer to see him goto the EPL so I can see him play more. I also feel he'd be much more comfertable in an English speaking environment with other Americans near-by.

4. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GOL TV?

5. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know him personally? Or has he given quotes saying as much?

Not flaming, just asking. Dempsey to me seems like the kind of guy who'd play anywhere and do so happily, as long as it was stretching his abilities to their maximum. As of now, Atletico fits the bill.

EDIT: And yeah, GolTV is worth the extra few bucks a month on the cable bill, if only for confirmation that MLS is not the only league in the world with awful referees.

6. ami-berliner

ami-berliner Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Berlin
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He grew up in Texas playing soccer with Hispanics or Latino-Americans, or whatever is the PC term. Anyway, I'm sure he picked up a bit Spanish. If the coach can speak English, then that makes things a bit easier as well.

Also, a flight from Madrid to England takes a less time than Boston to Dallas. Just saying.

Also, if he is as driven as he seems to be/says he is, I doubt he would be spending much time going around the U.K. hanging with other Americans.

I also think that the Spanish League would fit his style a bit better, and allow him to develop into the player he seems to want to be: athletic with flair on the ball (and not the Chotchkie’s type).

7. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this is based on...?

8. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    maybe he'll be just as comfortable spelling in Spain as well. ;) :D

9. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Spain is amazing, beautiful, and a completely different way of life. If Clint can make it there he can make it anywhere. Personally I would love Dempsey to do a couple of seasons in Spain and get some Spanish in his vocabulary. I think Clint would fall in love with the country.

10. Spen-no

Spen-no New Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Clint Dempsey is the best player that is currently playing in the MLS. Since I moved here he's been the one who has the attribute's to make it back in England........ He should lead the way and start an exodus of the best talent here going abroad! I don't think the MLS will suffer either, as the players that get better will move at different stage's and the older one's will come back maybe? you have some really amazing youngster's that i'd like to see leave for europe......... as for Donovan, I think he's over rated and his attitude stink's if he doesn't want to try out a bigger league! No disrespect to the MLS as i'm embracing it! But the U.S. footie need's a kick in the arse! and that will come from experience of playing abroad, this has turned into a bit of a sermon, but the potential is so huge here and it's already annoying me that the MLS itself is holding it back

11. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS turned down the offer 'cause it was a ridiculous offer for Dempsey, he's worth twice that much, bidding war or no.

given his background and style of play, this would be a wonderful move for both Clint and Atletico

12. el mero mero

el mero mero New Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Santa Úrsula
    Graham Poll refs in Spain??

:D

13. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be awesome -- I've been waiting to get some Americans back in La Liga...now I'd have another reason to cheer against Real :)

I just hope that he gets to play with Torres...

And Spain is a wonderful place to live...oh, wait, Madrid? Madrid is no Barcelona :)

14. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The type of English spoke in England and the type of English Dempsey likes to speak, are distant, distant cousins at best. :)

"What it do..."

15. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish to god I could get it out here, but I can't (or I should say, it would be difficult to).

16. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    where r u? and two words...satelite Tv....

as to Dempsey to Atletico, that'd be awesome but guess there would be some crazy competition to gain a position anywhere in midfield, considering Aguero comes off the bench... and the dude has the ability to score with his hands too to boot... :p I kid, i kid....would love to see some YAs in La Liga, but i'll say it might be a tougher road to prove himself in a league that greatly values on the ball technique

oh, yeah and if you hurry up getting goltv, you might just catch the Real Madrid, Barcelona superclasico this weekend..... IMO the best clasico quality wise (both team put together) compared to any of the other big Euro leagues....

17. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Haha. That was the most blatent hand ball next to Maradonas. But yea if Dempsey does come to spain, that would be awsome. The laxed defense along with his style of play on the ball would be a match made in heaven!

18. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is:

I currently have cable, and have nowhere I could put a dish according to my landlord.

So in order to get Gol TV I'd have to:

a) Move
    b) Switch from cable to satellite

Now this is something to consider next time I'm thinking of moving, but not something where I'm going to break my lease tomorrow.

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Side note ... my kid is the worst Eurosnob in existence, God he's hard to take. Like many teenagers, he's so damn brand conscious and you can't talk him away from his damned pretentious brands -- Nike, Abercrombie, Euro Champions League, Quiksilver, etc.

At any rate, the point is we were watching an MLS broadcast and they showed a few Clint Dempsey highlights. The kid sits straight up in his chair and says with admiration, "That guy can play." Pauses. "Why is he in MLS?"

:rolleyes:

20. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    This will be a good move for him and for Atletico de Madrid.

21. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    this would be a great move... I wanna see an American field player in La Liga... it would be so exciting to see Clint play for Club Atlético de Madrid... a huge club too...

22. kawandinho

kawandinho New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NO diss to MLS i love my team and the league but i asked the same question after watching this kid against italy in the world cup then against Ghana. why is this guys still in New England.

23. sprovi

sprovi New Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Where I breathe
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey in MLS...not by his choice

First of all, I'm a big time supporter of MLS. That said, according to Dempsey after winning the US Soccer Player of the Year award, he stated that he wants to play in Europe...anywhere in Europe. So I don't think he would give two stink bombs if it was La Liga or the EPL.

Second of all, the reason he is still in MLS, to answer some of your questions, is that MLS has not accepted any bids. According to an article in the Boston Globe (I'm sorry, I no longer have that link but I'm sure many of you have read it), Dempsey makes it perfectly clear that he's pretty disgruntled with the league. And in my opinion, he let the league know that through his uninspired play post-World Cup, recent form notwithstanding. He also said that he WILL play in Europe, even if that means waiting until after his MLS contract is up. I don't blame him. And, there is nothing wrong with MLS being an export league in my humble opinion. Garber has to come to terms with that because that is what the league is and what it will be for years to come.

Third of all, if MLS could have sold EJ to Benefica for $5 mill, wow did they miss the boat on that one!!!!

24. BobyOne

BobyOne Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently all he knows is: "Pase la pelota, por favor"

http://www.soccer365.com/_365_Features/page_121_128711.shtml

25. Lolonearbyyolo

Apr 17, 2006