Can Anyone Confirm Coleman Spotted This Weekend Looking at Demspey?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by m vann, Oct 10, 2006.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just heard that Chris Coleman was spotted at the DC-Revs match at RFK and that anytime Dempsey had the ball or there was a replay on the big screen Coleman and his crew had their eyes gazed on him. Can anyone confirm this? It wouldn't surrpise me if it was true!

2. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Fulham were off -- its certainly possible.

3. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
    Not sure, but I did a search on the word "Coleman" in the New England forum and nothing recent turned up.

4. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone just mentioned it in one of today's active threads. It's certainly plausible.

5. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he was there he'll be leaving impressed...you may want to start a thread in the DC United section (but say he was looking at Boswell)

6. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what, a date?

7. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    that was a freakin nasty goal he scored on saturday against you guys. The guy has got some game unlike any other USA boy.

8. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Same thing was said about another Clint...

9. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    except that this Clint has an incredible work-rate, and is super-fit and ambitious. Was that said about the other Clint too?

10. socks

socks New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    oaxaca mexico
    totally missed it.....description??

11. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    check MLSnet.com

he took a suprise first touch way out to the right off a ball in the air as he was running with a defender- took the defender by surprise. Then closed in on keeper and chipped him as he was getting joustled from the side. I really brilliant goal- he is crazy inventive.

12. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, I don't remember tracking back on defense much...

He definately is a good player, has the potential and ambition to be better, and the attitude to match.

However, get back with me when he takes NE to win the MLS Cup...

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    soccer is a team game. Seriously, I find it obscene that people compare the 2 Clint's. Why? Because of their names? Southern?
    Mathis' fitness was ALWAYS at issue, as were his work habits. Find me one fan, anywhere who questions Dempsey work ethic and fitness. He is an animal. I have met him a few times, and he is a beast physically.

14. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I think he was also at a Fire-Crew match last year and well Simon Elliot was signed and Szetela came for a trial so this news wouldn't surprise me.

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure MLS would love a bidding war between Charlton and Fulham

16. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas

It wouldn't be much of a war if Al Fayed is serious about splashing the cash again.

17. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

I love Dempsey but work ethic shmerk ethic. Zidane was caught smoking during the World Cup - what would you say if it were Clint? Clint Mathis had buckets of skill that Clint Dempsey hasn't shown yet, IMO. He has a nose for goals, but has he shown any goals the likes of Clint M's highlight reel while at Hannover? He's a very good player - and his creativity in dribbling is great, but Clint Mathis in his prime was better than what Dempsey has shown to-date. Amazing acceleration, speed, sprayed beautiful weighted balls all over the field, finished clinically with BOTH feet and head, and just could strike the ball like few we've ever seen in a US uniform - what a tragedy that Clint's knees gave out and he never regained his explosiveness. It wasn't fitness that killed his career - IMO. He was in great shape in Hannover. It was a combination of personality and loss of mobility which made him a bit of a liability - from that point his mojo has been rarely seen since.

18. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    Who is the announcer on the video of that goal? "As we said last week, if you've got it, flaunt it!! He's a beast!" Uh..... :eek:

19. rossgreen

rossgreen Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Austin
    He's french.

20. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That'd be Brad Feldman, MLS homer champion.

21. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    Interesting perspective.

22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    can't agree with you- I think the Mathis you are describing is one from your imagination. The goal Clint scored this week was a skillful as any Mathis ever scored. Check it out at MLSnet.com and get back to us.

23. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Boys, boys, settle down.

Mathis was a top cat in his day. I recall he and Ronaldinho were two best players on the pitch in that friendly in (2001?).

Dempsey is a talent as well. And he's getting better every day. How good he'll get isn't known yet.

PS. It makes a lot of sense for Fulham to sign Clint because Routledge may eventually be out of their price range and will have to go back to Tottenham.

Clint's price range at this moment is right up their alley.