20 Questions with Commissioner Garber

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Huss, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    From Dan Courtemanche @ MLS HQ:

We have reviewed all of the questions for Commissioner Garber. There were many great questions. In fact, there were so many excellent questions that Commissioner Garber said he will answer 20 questions instead of 10. He is going to work on his answers tonight and said he should be finished by early Friday at the latest. Thus, we’d appreciate it if you could let the BigSoccer.com folks know that Commissioner Garber will answer the 20 questions (see below) and the answers will be posted on Friday, Oct. 6 by 5 pm ET.

… feel free to go ahead and post the questions below so the BigSoccer folks know in advance which ones will be answered. You’ll notice we fused together a few of the questions since many were repetitive.

BigSoccer – 20 Questions with MLS Commissioner Don Garber

1. What conditions/situations would need to exist in order for MLS to go from the current single entity structure to a franchise system as seen in MLB, NFL, etc.? Will the single-entity structure change much within the next 5 years?

MLS NOTE: There were many similar questions about single-entity.

2. One question in many parts: How seriously is MLS pursuing the "academy" concept? Is what Chicago and RBNY have now the ideal, or are you going to try to encourage teams to build true academies in the style of Boca Juniors, Barcelona or West Ham? And if so, will these be funded by the league or directly by the teams? How far away are we from finding out the status of the "youth player rights" system that was referenced at all-star time? Is there anything that you can tell us on that front?

MLS NOTE: Youth development/the academy concept was a very popular topic with multiple questions.

3. What information can you provide in regards to the MFL/MLS tournament (CONCACAF Champions League?) next summer?

4. Regardless of the rumored "Beckham Exception", are there plans to increase the salary cap so that MLS can be at least competitive with lower-tier European leagues like Denmark and Norway?

5. What is the status of expansion

MLS NOTE: There were many on expansion from Philadelphia, Seattle, Atlanta, Miami, San Antonio, Austin, etc. Commissioner Garber will address these markets and more.

6. Also, is the 16-team limit a temporary one or one that you see lasting for a decade?

7. Three points to pose one question:

a. Many have brought light to a crowded schedule the MLS season and playoffs and US Open Cup face.

b. Many are currently unhappy about the playoff design.

c. Finally, lots of soccer 'traditionalists' or 'purists' believe a single table without playoffs is the only way to appropriately create buzz in the regular season and fairly crown a champion.

The question:

If you accept these as true, or even true in part, what do you think about the possibility of:

1) Scrapping the MLS playoffs

2) Crowning the MLS regular season league champion (MLS Cup Winner)

3) Entering the four top clubs into the Quarterfinals of a redesigned US Open Cup

You formed a "competition committee" at the start of the year, to address many things, but most importantly the competition format. Gazidis said we might see big changes in 2007. What is the status of that committee and have they made any recommendations yet?

8. What is MLS' marketing strategy - and why does the league appear to pick a different slogan/theme each year versus sticking with one over time? The "Colors" ads were weak - and downright silly - regardless of the hip hop star voiceover. "It's your game" was the best of the bunch - but there is no consistency year-to-year which gives the impression that MLS doesn't know who and what it's going after.

9. Is there a plan to improve the quality of refereeing in MLS? What kind of review do referees do after the games? Are there penalties/fines/etc for egregious errors like the goal call for RSL where the ball clearly did not cross the line or the numerous non-calls on physical play that is causing players to be injured?

10. Years ago, MLS had a number of well-known international players who were "worth the price of admission": Carlos Valderrama, Roberto Donadoni, Hristo Stoichkov, etc. But today, those types of players are few and far between: Youri Djorkaeff, Paco Palencia, and that's about it. Does MLS have plans to increase the number of high-caliber international players in the league, either via the proposed Beckham exception or by some other means?

11. Chivas USA adopts an attacking football philosophy. As a result, many of their games are very entertaining. If all teams play attacking football, the playing field would be level and the number of entertaining games would increase. Should other MLS teams adopt attacking football philosophy? (there is a poll on MLS General Forum and about 75% voted for this adoption).

12. Understanding the need to recoup some of the large losses that MLS owners have incurred, and the amount of cash needed to build soccer-specific stadia, at what point can MLS fans expect owners to shift their focus to significantly improving the on-field talent? Next year? 2010? 2020?

13. There is near-unanimous consensus amongst MLS fans and the soccer media alike that having eight teams in the playoffs both cheapens the value of the regular season and makes a mockery of the "prize" of qualifying for the postseason. Why does MLS continue to stick to this system despite the overwhelming opinion that cutting the number of teams in half would increase the quality of the season and the playoffs?

14. We have seen MLS clubs move away from some of the original and in my opinion terrible names they started out with (Burn, Clash, Mutiny) to more "classic" soccer names such as DC United, FC Dallas, Toronto FC, CD Chivas USA, and Real Salt Lake. I believe this is a good thing as it helps soccer stand out among a highly competitive and crowded American sport's market place and make the league sound more respectable internationally. A name that says soccer, sells soccer. Will we see these classic type names continue with expansion clubs?

15. I'm a 25 year old girl who believes more could be done to market some of the hot guys of MLS to women my age. I attended my first MLS match at 14 after my older sister took me to see a match in DC because she had a thing for another team's player. MLS in my opinion is missing out by not having more of a cross media footprint for some of these guys. Why no late night talk shows or cameo appearances in music videos or appearances at music or film awards? Stars are made in this country mostly through exposure as much as or more so than actual performance. If MLS want's "stars" they need not buy Beckham, instead just get Alex Yi, Clint Dempsey, Jamie Moreno, Shavar Thomas, Dwayne DeRosario and Jeff Cunningham's faces out there more. Are there any plans to do this?

16. David Stern, your NBA counterpart, has suggested that interactive technology will enable the league to provide viewers more options on how the game appears on their television. I'm not sure just what he means, but I wonder if MLS has any dedicated effort or long-term vision to improve the way games are broadcast (e.g., replays, on-screen "chalkboard," cameras that don't just follow the ball, knowledgeable commentators) so that both novice fans and purists can get the most out of the experience.

17. When do you foresee that each soccer club in MLS will be able to decide which players it buys and sells? And with the club keeping 100% of the income? Also, what is the actual amount of latitude that teams have in signing and transferring players? There have been many rumors or stories about the MLS blocking a transfer or owners blocking a transfer. It is a mutual decision or is there a person with the final say? In the same vein, has there been any discussion of allowing scraping the allocation system and going to a system where individual teams can purchase players on transfer and amortize the transfer fee over the life of the contract in regards to their salary cap number?

MLS NOTE: Question #17 is a fusion of a few questions posted.

18. Will the league ever take control of broadcasting team's matches or at least make it mandatory? I hate the fact some teams can choose not to broadcast their road games.

19. Is there a plan to add a weekly team bonus for winning games and/or scoring goals? The added incentive may help players push harder for goals and wins in each game and the added intensity may draw more spectators to the games. Thank You.

20. What are your favorite musicians/bands, movies and TV shows?

2. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AWESOME!!

Mine got picked - and they didn't change a word! Grad school has already paid off. :p

4. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friday, Oct. 6 by 5 pm ET

Cool deal, but what's with the last non-soccer related one....does anyone really care what music Garber listens to?

5. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read the first paragraph from Dan Courtemanche again. ;)

6. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably for humor, but it isn't like there are only 20 questions, some of them have 3-4 questions buried into one #. It reminds me of Back to School when Mellon's professor said "Your final exam will consist of one question...[Mellon smiles]...in 37 parts"

7. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Whoever asked this question should be smacked. This is not a Copa SudAmericana tournament, this is the US Soccer Federation's club tournament. This is suppose to be a replica of the famed FA Cup tournament. There are no automatic bids into the Quarterfinals just because you made the top four positions of the table in MLS at the end of the season.

Other than that, I liked all the questions.

8. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    It's probably a way for him to make a couple of jokes at his expense. If he were really on the ball, he'd say the only music he listens to are the MLS supporters sections singing.

By my count, he's addressing 24 soccer-related questions, not to mention any city-specific expansion question he answers.

By way of setting my own expectations, I would not anticipate any earth-shattering news here, but a series of rather carefully phrased, generic answers.

Sachin

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    9. Is there a plan to improve the quality of refereeing in MLS?

You know, all the referees are recruited by, educated by, trained by, assigned by and evaluated by USSF. MLS does not technically have an officiating department, though they have someone who represents MLS' interests (as best they can) in terms of officiating.

13. There is near-unanimous consensus amongst MLS fans and the soccer media alike that having eight teams in the playoffs both cheapens the value of the regular season and makes a mockery of the "prize" of qualifying for the postseason. Why does MLS continue to stick to this system despite the overwhelming opinion that cutting the number of teams in half would increase the quality of the season and the playoffs?

Wow. No agenda present in that question at all, huh?

So cutting the number of teams in half will give you an increase, but you haven't noticed an increase when expansion cut it from 80% to 67%? And I'm guessing you still won't see an increase when Toronto cuts it from 67% to 62%? And if a 14th team comes in and cuts it further?

If it's going to be quantifiable at 33% or 31%, why isn't it quantifiable now?

10. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone not agree that this is the worst question of the bunch?

Like, why no hot guy photos? :D

(That's cruel. I know what she means about more face exposure, but her context is screwed up.)

11. bwach

bwach Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Cleveland
    I look forward to this with tempered expectations that the time is not right for a definitive answer to many of these questions.

I suppose the concept of Promotion/Relegation is so outlandish in the US as to not even be considered for the list. Too bad.

12. P1brit

P1brit Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To be honest, as much as I hate Sky, they pretty much perfected how to do interactive broadcasts at least 3 years ago.

13. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really, I'd go with the two whiny uninformed ones that Kenn mentioned...

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    They're skipping my question about player eligibity and competition issues with regards to Toronto FC joining the league.

Bastards.

15. Revs007

Revs007 Member

Nov 11, 2000
    Boston
    ohh' shut up.

16. fatboy15

fatboy15 New Member

Mar 31, 2000
    LaPorte, IN, USA
    alot of people seem to speak on the assumption that decreasing the amount of teams getting into the playoffs would increase the amount of meaningful games. i don't think you would actually see that. the meaningful games of teams in second, third, and fourth would increase, but fifth and sixth would decrease.

i think the real benefit of this is more meaningful games to better teams. what would you rather see? kc and ny fighting for the last spot, or chicago and ne?

17. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because they had to make room for the question Kenn commented on: "I'm right, everyone agrees with me, your system is beyond ridiculous and, dammit, WHEN THE HELL WILL YOU WAKE UP AND DO IT MY WAY, YOU PUTZ?"

Just quoting from memory.

18. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Dumb ^

Dumber ^

Dumbest ^ (Ever hear of the Supporters' Shield? The one that gets you into continental play?)

Statistics? You don't speak for me. It won't cheapen it in a few years when there are 14-16 teams. 6 teams at least, please.

HUH? I'm sorry, if its between my team winning or "playing pretty" I'll take the cup titles any day. (Like that one my boys just hoisted ;) ) Talk to us when Chivas USA's trophy case is bursting.

19. Matt D

Matt D Member

Mar 17, 2006
    new orleans
    I'm disappointed that my question about the findings of the competition committee got lumped in with some bozo's ideas about MLS.

But anyway, thanks Huss, thanks BigSoccer, and thanks Don Garber.

P.S. - This reminds me of the last time a question of mine got asked to Garber, I won a jersey for sending in the question. It was on the old MLS Wrap show on (then) Fox Sports World. Wheelock said my name on TV and everything, plus I got an LA Galaxy jersey autographed by the whole team as a prize.

20. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    25-year-old, presumably single woman, interested enough in club soccer to pose a question to MLS. I would like to meet this woman. :)

21. Bill Schmidt

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fact, I thought of starting a separate thread where we predict the answers from what we already know. I bet we'd get 90% or better.

22. Bill Schmidt

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [Emphasis added.]

Exactly! The league will never admit that, however. At one end of the table, games add some meaning. At the low end, games lose ALL meaning.

23. vyertago

vyertago Member

Jun 8, 2006
    I am not positive but i am pretty sure that this is Jade1mls's question. I think she is also into marketing or advertising so it would make sence for her to ask that question.

24. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have never been more embarassed to be a member of BigSoccer. I hope that MLS doesn't actually set policy based on the wishes of our most persistent and naive posters.

This is one of the best questions.

25. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls