Rumor: Hugo Sanchez for USMNT coach.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by arnoldle21, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Just heard it on Fox Football Fone-IN. Guys are saying that a potential hiring like this could draw more Hispanics into US Soccer.

Discuss.

2. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt that they are going to make a decison based on marketing considerations...at least I hope no.

3. MyHouse!

MyHouse! Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Tallahassee
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone truly think that this icon of Mexican soccer is going to coach the US National Team.:rolleyes:

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    please tell me we aren't going to hire a Mexican great as our manager.

5. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Stranger things have happened.

Sanchez has a lot of enemies in Mexico. I wouldn't be surprised if he did this just as a big "******** You" to all of them...

6. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

*puke*

Next you'll be telling me that Penn state has lined up Dan Marino as the succesor to Joe Paterno.

7. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    would/could Claudio Suarez be an assistant?

8. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't. But my remark above was addressed to the implication that marketing to Hispanics should be part of the decision making.

But it probably will be...

9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

Now you're just trying to make me keel over :eek:

10. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Whatever.

Mexican or not, get the best available candidate.

I wouldn't care if we had Bin Laden as manager, just as long as he gets us out of the first round in South Africa.

11. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    In principle, I have no problem bringing in Sanchez. In practice, however, it presents a lot of problems.

First, Sanchez has not really shown much of an interest in US soccer, apart from playing for Dallas for a year or two. Since then, he's remained pretty mum. Does he know much about it -- who the players are? What the challenges are? What style of play would be best?

Second, Sanchez seems to relish coaching Mexico, not the US. If that's the case, I think he'd have his eye on that gig rather than the US gig. I want someone who wants the job and wants it for years. That's why Klinsmann is so attractive to so many -- he's not about to leave since he's already has success at a higher profile position.

Third, does anyone genuinely think bringing in Sanchez will suddenly spur several million Hispanic fans to pick up US soccer? Hispanic fans support their national teams out of a national pride that comes from living here and missing home. In addition, they support Latin domestic leagues for largely the same reason, though the superiority of the MFL is an arguable basis too.

The plus: I can't wait for Arena haters to suffer the player selections of someone like Sanchez. If they think Convey and Dempsey are shoe-ins, it'll be interesting if we get a coach who doesn't call them up whatsoever. (I'm not saying Sanchez would, but Arena selections never bordered on the insane, just the stubborn and boring for the most part.)

12. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy, that'd make for some interesting press conferences. Somehow I doubt the team would be getting the customary Presidential good luck call...;)

13. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

"The infidel Canadian scum will be scythed down by the righteous goals of Allah's chosen eleven........the glorious....erm...USA."

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm in this camp.

Hire the best guy. He's been a good club coach and he's pissed he hasn't been hired by FMF to coach El Tri so he'll certainly be motivated.

Also, he's a pretty interesting cat. He's a trained dentist, so he's obviously spent some time in the classroom so he should have no trouble dealing with our college educated players.

Plus, along with Roy Wegerle, he's the only player to play in both the NASL and MLS so he has some times to this country and I'm gonna presume he speaks a little English.

He's also got a great playing background from his days at Real Madrid so he has some cache internationally.

It certainly would be interesting. And remember, Sunil's wife is Mexican and he speaks fluent Spanish and that he signed Hugoal to MLS back when the league started so they have a bit of history.

Somehow, this makes some bizzare version of sense.

15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    meh, it goes against the grain.

I mean, imagine North Carolina hiring Steve Wojohowski or Tommy amaker, or Duke hiring Larry Brown.

it simply wouldn't happen.

I mean, even our players dislike playing against each other. You've heard thess Mexican players talking about our National Team, deriding our twam and players, being absolutly arrogant despite never beating us.

What happens when we hire a Mexican coach? It's like telling the world that yes, they are superior to us and we want to be like them.

We don't need a Mexican coach and we don't need to play a Mexican brand of soccer.

16. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You heard it here first.

:D

As far as I'm concerned, Gulati must consider every potential candidate. Eliminating Sanchez because he's Mexican is just plain stupid.

17. ussoccerFan12358

Mar 11, 2006
    Central NY
    well, we wouldn't have to worry about lannycakes anymore:rolleyes:

18. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is lannycakes and why wouldn't we have to worry about him anymore?

19. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Hmmm. Given how loudly we complain here about the failures of USMNT/Bruce to sit pet players when they weren't performing, there's something about this that I kinda like.

Of course, it's nothing more than a rumor.

20. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

they can talk about my momma. 'bout America and apple pie.
    but the second they deride our twam, oh baby you better believe it's on.

i'd be curious how much his heart was into it. spite can be a powerful motivator. but I would put some huge dollar figure for any buyout that allows him to return south of the 2-0 Border.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not really for this, I don't have an opinion either way.

But in my perfect universe, where I'm God, I make this happen for a week just to watch the Mexicans implode, then rewind time and let events play themselves out.

22. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hugo Sanchez . . . USMNT Coach?

HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA.

Nice joke. Next contestent, please.

23. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we are looking for a foreign coach, why not? He should be considered like any other foreign coaching prospect assuming that he has expressed interest in the job. We have had a domestic coach for 12 years and it's time for a foreign coach to shake things up and bring a new perspective.

24. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have nothing against a Mexican coach, an Iranian coach, Russian, French, German, etc. Nothing at all wrong with having a Mexican coach, the only thing that matters is... IS HE GOOD ENOUGH? I don't know too much about Hugo.

25. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Imagine how the Mexican fans would feel should Hugo lead the USA to victory in Azteca, next qualifying hex?
    Conversly, what would American fans say should we lose both legs to Mexico? ;)