NE - new main rival?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by scaryice, Aug 24, 2006.

1. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    That's what Jim Curtin says:

Evidence?

2002: NE eliminates CHI in quarterfinals
    2003: CHI eliminates NE in conference championship on Armas golden goal
    2004: NE defeats CHI on final day of the season to get the last playoff berth
    2005: NE eliminates CHI in conference championship
    2006: CHI eliminates NE from US Open Cup for second straight year

2. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This rivalry with New England is for sure more heated on the field then the one with Dallas because of them being in the same conference and our cup fates so often intertwining.

That's not to say that there isn't still a rivalry with Dallas. There just isn't a catalyst.

3. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    not being a dick.. but i think thats all bullshit.I think the "fans" are just coping out of the Dallas rivalry since we havnt done squat against them the last few years.That is.. dallas owns our ass.. I hate Dallas.. i freaking hate dallas.. maybe the players under davo have forgotten the bad blood between these two sides..going back to 98.. serious bad blood.. leg breaking bad blood..The Revs might be a somewhat equally matched rival, but we hate Dallas.. they had Ted Eck, they have Carlos Ruiz.. heck we even started to dislike Lubos a bit because of those cow humping pricks.
    oh did I say I HATE DALLAS?
    The Revs.. they aint nothing.their like a fat ex girlfriend -a pity ********.once in a while you let them screw you..
    freakin Dallas now...

4. Fires Of Fulham

Fires Of Fulham New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Chicago, USA
    The Dallas rivalry doesn't mean anything to the casual fan to begin with. If you ask Joe Public on the street who they think Chicago's major rival would be (and of course show them a list of MLS teams) they're not going to say, "oh, Dallas, that seems totally natural."

If a rivalry needs supporters groups to prop it up, it's not a rivalry to begin with.

I just can't wait until Milwaukee comes in so the Fire have a real rivalry like D.C. United and Red Bull New York have. Because, you know, geographic proximity.

5. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I know that I am the exception, but I never really got into the dallas rivalry. I play along, but to me it seemed a little contrived because we were new and just looking for a rivalry without letting one develop naturally.

For me personally, the only time my blood boiled regarding dallas was that playoff game in 1999 (that was NOT an intentional hand ball on a blast at a sliding CJ Brown with his arms in on his chest!)

In the early years, I definitely hated LA and cobi more than the burn. Remember that playoff game where late in the second, cobi got knocked over and then laid there in a "daze" before he somehow summoned the strength to slowly amble off the field? I was so pissed standing in section 8 that I could hardly see straight. I remember going home and watching the tape and timing it. Close to six friggin minutes on that one dive, then three minutes of added time.

I have noticed the heat turned up on the field with NE as well. Matt Reis helps. Even mild-mannered steve ralston has gotten really animated against us this year.

I'm still on board with "hating" dallas because to me it is kind of amusing when we do beat them (which you are correct, in that it hasn't happened enough).

For me it has changed around based on who plays on what teams. A Bears/Packers type of enduring rivalry will take time. It could be dallas as that certainly has a jump start. it might eventually be Milwaukee or St. Louis based on geography.

6. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

Ah, you got in before me with a similar point, but I would disagree that you NEED geography to establish a good lasting rivalry. One of the best in American sports is the Chiefs/Raiders. Cowboys/Redskins is a good one as is Notre Dame/usc.

7. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi just thought I'd troll by and call you all assholes.. Just kidding.:D sort of. :mad:
    saw the post and though it was interesting.
    I think they fact there Dallas is the other division, so you only see them twice and they can't hurt you in the same way we can asa div rival takes something out of that rivalry.
    Stealing your thunder at your stadium opener and then coming back and stealing 3 was a lot of fun. the playoff history (mentioned before).....
    seeing as we're both sort of mid table sludge to right now (you guys in the right direction, us in the wrong). (If we can keep our shit together long enough to actually make it to) The playoffs should be fun/hell

8. Fires Of Fulham

Mar 30, 2005
    Chicago, USA
    I actually thought about the NFL rivalries before I posted. And they are intense rivalries. The difference, of course, being that they are in the same division and divisions are smaller in the NFL than MLS. When you've only got eight games against your own division to decide things, it gets pretty intense. The NFL is like mini-leagues.

And as you can tell by my signature, I definitely don't want to go that direction in MLS.

And college football is a different situation as well because that's one game a year and people travel.

9. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Jimmy's right. We don't have the on-field animosity toward Dallas that we did back during the leg-breaking days, and we clearly do with New England. Five fans continuing to get hot and bothered about the "rivalry" doesn't really count, especially if the players don't feel it. IMO, our Dallas rivalry was with the Burn, and we should have buried it when they rebranded the team.

As for the head-to-head matchups, they rarely count for anything with Dallas -- USOC last year notwithstanding -- so who owns who barely even rates, in my book. On the other hand, with New England there always seems to be something important on the line.

Frequent, heated matches when there's a lot at stake seems more like a rivalry than a "tradition" that only really existed for the first couple years of the team's existence.

Later,
    COZ

10. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    To be fair . . . EVERYBODY hates New England. :D

11. peabrainedidiot

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    right now, that include most of it's fans:(

12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That DC/Red Bull "rivalry" is the most propped up rivalry in the league. The supporters groups rip each other, but really, how often have the two teams met in big games? The Metrostars/Red Bull have been an 11 year underachiever and have won exactly nothing. Yet, I'm supposed to believe as a fan that they are rivals with the most decorated team in the league? Heck, I consider Chicago to be more of a rival as they have been a true nemesis for DC up to this point.

13. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    NE is definitely A main rival. But I don't believe it negates the Dallas rivalry.

The Chicago-NE one is certainly the most currently active and has easily replaced what we had with the Metros and probably even passed LA. Really appreciating what makes a rivalry requires a long view, so what's currently happening doesn't really answer the question.

And Chad is right, Dallas has owned us the last few years and little else makes me so sick to my stomach. Some fans (fewer every day) still dismiss the Dallas as a rival, but to do so now is a major cop-out. I thought it was great to hear the PA announcer last night so enthusiastically announce the USOC score over the PA as "Houston 3, FC DALLAS NOTHING!!!"

15. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    JIIIIMMMMMUAGH!

"They don't like us and we don't like them," Curtin said. "They've kind of replaced Dallas as our main rival. It gets really heated. For a while there they owned us and now we're getting them back."

That cements it for me.

I hate Dallas, I hate LA too, but more than anything, Boston I hate you.

16. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Jay Heaps, Joey Franchino and Matt Reis are on NE. How can we not hate them?

17. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I'm throwing Shalrie Joseph into that den of thieves.

18. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yeah, screw Jay Heaps.

19. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    This post is a good example of why I can't quite hate New England as much as I hate Dallas. Can you imagine any Dallas fan writing something as intelligent or insightful as this? It seems a bit challenging to pleasure cattle physically and then hunt-and-peck anything intelligent out onto your computer screen afterwards. Let it be said: I hate the city of Dallas, I hate the people in Dallas, and I hate the players that play for Dallas. They will always be public enemy number 1 in my book.

So, most likely, there is a fan rivalry with Dallas and a player rivalry with New England.

20. peabrainedidiot

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

we don't talk about that here:p

besides, it could be a lot worse...

[​IMG]

21. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

Which one? Do you want to review all five one at a time to see if they could write something like this?

Seriously, I think that is part of it for me. You look at "supporters" photos, or live shots on tv, and there are a couple of chubby guys with a drum wearing stupid things on their heads. It inspires pity more than hatred.

It's just hard to get worked up over that. Yea, their attendance is not markedly different from ours, but comparing the hardcore support is a joke.

22. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    This is the "going out" outfit the Style writer Christopher Muther chose for Rev's defensemen Jay Heaps

Should have called it "The Going Home Alone Outfit."

23. Fires Of Fulham

Mar 30, 2005
    Chicago, USA
    This seems like the perfect opening for a political statement on what Massachussetts spends money on and what Texas spends money on, but I'll refrain. ;)

24. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    HAHAHA, very good...
    What would do you think they should call this outfit?:
    [​IMG]

I'm thinkin' something along the lines of "14 yr old girl chic".

25. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

The Coach K Knobwashing Starter Kit?

or

Military Issue Don't Ask Don't Tell Camoflauge.