Red Bull Park Groundbreaking!

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Matrim55, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. pasoccerdave

pasoccerdave Member

Mar 30, 2004
    SE Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today's August 11. That fits the '30-60 days' mantra quite nicely.

3. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OH MY GOD!!! THANK YOU RED BULL!!! Its absolutely f#cking BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Exactly what I dreamed of seeing in MLS from day 1. They got this stadium RIGHT!!! Sweet sweet dreams!!! :) :) :)

4. SideNetting

SideNetting New Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Wheaton, IL
    I hate to throw cold water on a press release, but how can it only cost $100 million? It has 25% more seating than Toyota Park, has a bigger roof and will be constructed in a metropolitan area not known for labor bargains. Toyota Park cost $100M when it was all said and done.

5. SideNetting

SideNetting New Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Wheaton, IL
    By the way, it does look beautiful and I'll be happy to visit when I'm back home in NJ.

6. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Now, now, this is their moment to shine. Their 4,000 or so fans will look much fuller than they do in Giants Stadium. ;)

Nice looking and a steal at $100 mil.

7. jimmyodonnell

jimmyodonnell Member

May 1, 2003
    Looks great! I hope the real thing looks half as good as this . . . good for you guys.

8. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "the finest turf to create soccer’s best pitch,"

What do they mean by that? Is it going to be artificial? Otherwise, WOW! It looks even better than the one that just opened in Chicago. Hopefully they'll let us get in there before it opens and let us pick our season ticket seats.

9. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are Super Club.

Guess the RBFO aint on crack :eek:

Can't wait for the opening I'm buying tix right away.

10. Parr 21

Parr 21 New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Edmond, Ok
    That is just beautiful... well done to all. It's days like this that just might turn the heads of some MLS bashers ( self-included !)

Hats off to NYRB - no negatives from me, this is your day to shine - enjoy !

11. ritsoccer86

ritsoccer86 Member

Jul 18, 2005
    the stadium is beatiful in the "picture" but on the description of the stadium from mlsnet.com said that concerts will be held there.....meaning a stupid platform?? I HATE THOSE!!! THOSE RUIN MLS!!!

12. Rowdies4ever

Rowdies4ever New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    New England
    Well, maybe Red Bull is going "off the books" for some of the construction costs? ;)

Maybe they are going to pay off some of their contractors with lifetime supplies of Red Bull or something. :)

Whatever, so long as it gets built and is as nice looking in reality as it is on paper.

13. MightyMouse

Jun 19, 2003
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, removable seats, I assume sliding seats so a platform can be accomodated... they did say that it will look like no stage was ever set when its in soccer mode. I read that in a press release and I am sure Red Bull's owners want to do this thing RIGHT.

14. Rowdies4ever

Rowdies4ever New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    New England
    Well, no use looking a gift horse in the mouth. We have to put up with these for now for financial reasons, but that will change eventually.

Besides, why rain on the parade. Finally a SSS with covered stands on all four sides, like a proper footie stadium should have. It's about gosh darn time!

15. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i actually dont like it covering all 4 sides... causes bad grass

16. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About time...

17. wrightcor

wrightcor New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Maryland
    Looks good. Congrats on what should be an awesome place.

18. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    They know a guy who knows a guy some guys...

[​IMG]

c'mon man, it's JERSEY for chrissakes.

Honestly, though, its been a long time coming. Can't wait to be stashed in the upper corners of that joint for road games.

That la manga cup is going to look DAMN good in their shiny new trophy case!!!

19. Rowdies4ever

Rowdies4ever New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    New England
    Reading the article and looking at Red Bull's overall plans, I believe they meant turf in the traditional sense, ie, real grass. There's nothing to imply otherwise, and given the care Red Bull has given to this project so far, putting in artificial turf would make no sense. I wouldn't worry about this one.

20. MightyMouse

Jun 19, 2003
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GASP! Bad grass? (shivers in horror) I had bad grass once, I ended up running down the street naked and they found me in a chicken coup making bird sounds... (what movie is that scene from... I know the answer, do you?)

21. Rowdies4ever

Rowdies4ever New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    New England
    Really? Most parks in Britain and Europe seem to do just fine with fully roofed stands, and their grass is perfectly healthy, and being further north than New Jersey, they get less sunlight to boot.

I don't see why this would be a problem in New Jersey.

22. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    half baked?

23. zacRWE

zacRWE New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    Essen, Germany
    awesome stadium

24. Rowdies4ever

Rowdies4ever New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    New England
    Heehee....I thought about riffing on the "bad grass" thing but decided not to....thought someone else would do so, not disappointed in that regard! :D

25. usbfc

usbfc New Member

Sep 8, 2000
    New York City
    Does anyone have pictures of the old Metrostars stadium designs? Please post them.

I would love to compare all of the old proposed designs with this new image. I like this a lot. I am not sure about the post earlier that said something about causing bad grass with the full canopy roof. I understand the sunlight reduction, but many stadiums in the world are designed like this. If it were such a problem, I'm not certain it would still be done.

That is, of course, unless we Americans just don't know better yet.