Lew Wolff to speak at SJ Chamber

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Jay Cee, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Jay Cee

Jay Cee New Member

Jul 9, 2002
    San Jose
    Taken from the Chamber Advocate Newsletter, August 2006

The Oakland A's owner, Lew Wolff, will be the guest speaker at the San Jose Chamber's, Silicon Valley Buzz, on Wednesday August 30th.

He will discuss hot topics, including the future of baseball in San Jose and the possibility of securing a professional soccer team for Silicon Valley, etc, etc.

The Silicon Valley Morning Buzz will be held at Adobe in the Gallery Room, 345 Park Ave, San Jose from 8am-9:30am. The event is free for Chamber members and $15 for prospecitve members. For more information and registration, call (408) 291-5286.

2. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA

That would seem like a good place for a rally of some kind.

3. Jay Hipps

Jay Hipps Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SSV will be sending out this info to our members as well and I think most of our board members are planning on attending.

We'll be sending out a general update in the next few days as well.

SJ Oldtimer, I don't think we're planning on a rally here -- $15 a head is a lot to ask of people. There will be other, better opportunities.

4. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love this. Let's try Professional Soccer IN San Jose and the possibility of baseball in Silicon Valley. Sheesh! Some of these folks are just so stuck on Baseball in San Jose. It's NOT going to happen, at least, not more than the San Jose Giants, who are well worth the ticket price. ;)

QUAKES FOREVER!!
    GO SSV!!
    GO WOLFF!!
    fuaeg!
    fumls!

- Mark

5. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really! If I can bring a date I'll buy two. One for me and the other for Mrs. FUAEG.

We'll wear nametags!

6. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah.

Translation: let's see how we can attract the A's to our downtown site. Soccer, yeah, very nice, hope you find a nice place to play in Santa Clara.

7. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA

I will plead some ignorance here....I am not familiar with the location....I was thinking of something outside, where people would not be charged. My thought was just something to let the Chamber of Commerce and other business people that a legitimate base of fans exists for soccer. However, I have confidence that SSV knows when and where is best for this kind of activity.

8. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, if more soccer people were outside instead of baseball people, it would be a "subtle" hint to the attendees.

9. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Adobe! Do you know how much noise one person can make down there around those buildings, let alone a Quakes crowd? Adobe is the first building, BTW, to feature an outdoor electronic installation for the 01 Festival (look up to the top floor, and try to figure out the code), so the pair of towers are getting more than their fair share of notoriety this week.
    So if they just happen to have THE MAN down there discussing the merits of baseball and soccer in San Jose, by all means, do what we did down by the GonzoDome, and go ballistic down on the sidewalk! With media! It's about time, innit?

10. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All carrying signs saying, "Guess what? We're not baseball fans!"

11. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    That's the spirit!

12. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that on the building! I thought there was a new tower or some such thing! But then I saw that on the news. It's really cool! They move in response to sound. And when I saw them, a plane flew over and they spun like crazy. At least I think they spun. I was kinda confused by it all trying to figure out when the new tower went up. What a dork! :D

Anyway, yeah, the sidewalks are kinda wide there in front. So there's room. Also the new guadalupe river parks and gardens trail thingy goes right by Adobe. At least I think that trail is part of that, but anyway it's right there. However I think it's kinda lower than the buildings, so it might not be a good place to go. In any case, there are places and there is room to get a crowd and make some noise.

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can this eventually lead to The Adobe Epicenter at San José? :D

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

14. Jay Hipps

Jay Hipps Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me clarify -- we will be inviting people to attend if they want, but we're not saying it's a rally. If that seems like a matter of semantics, wait until we send out our note later this week. It will make everything clear (I hope).

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Lewis Wolff Epicenter at San José? :D

-G

16. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We can now offer free admission to a limited number of people to this event. The Chamber of Commerce has offered SSV members some free admissions, which we are sharing with Club Quake, on a first-come, first-served basis. If you would like to come, you can contact Pat and Ron at Club Quake at events@clubquake.org and join Club Quake at membership@clubquake.org (they can correct me if I have a detail wrong about that), or you can email me at ned@soccersiliconvalley.com.
    If we reach a point where we have too many people asking, I'll let you know if the event is fills up. However, on a Wednesday morning, many people will be at work.
    We will put together a list of names and give this to the Chamber of Commerce, who give it to security at Adobe. Then you show up, give your name, they check it against the list, and you go in.
    I have no information about parking.
    We encourage you to wear jerseys or Earthquake blue; naturally, being a Chamber of Commerce event, business attire is fine, too. We would like to have a "friendly" and intelligent audience there for Wolff. This is NOT an SSV rally or a demonstration. We are instead trying to get soccer people into an event to hear Wolff speak, so the Chamber of Commerce business community audience who attends will get a visual impression of support for soccer. (There are some in the Chamber community who are baseball boosters). I do not know if there will be a Q&A session.
    SSV has contacted Univision and they will be covering the event. I don't know yet about other media, but that could happen, too.
    This is the "Morning Buzz Event that the San Jose Silicon Valley (SJSV) Chamber of Commerce is hosting on August 30th for a conversation with Lew Wolfe, owner of the Oakland A’s and a major sponsor for bringing professional soccer back to San Jose, held at Adobe on Wednesday, August 30, from 8:00 am to 9:30 am in the Gallery Room adjacent to the Ground Floor Garage Parking off Park Avenue".
    If we get more info, I'll let you know.

17. MaraDoyle

MaraDoyle Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Casbah
    Too bad there is no coma after the A's to read:
    for a conversation with Lew Wolfe, owner of the Oakland A’s, and a major sponsor for bringing professional soccer back to San Jose
    :D

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As well as no comma. ;)

-G

19. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank God the rebirth of the San Jose Earthquakes is not in a coma. :D

20. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we have to leave liquids at the door?

21. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go behind a tree, or you might get arrested.

22. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Chamber of Commerce informs me that their morning events draw from 30-200 people, depending on the speaker. They are hoping for 200 for the Wolff event. Thanks to the efforts of Freddy Adames of SSV, Univision will bring a camera crew to cover it. Attendees will get free parking.

23. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Moderators, how about merging this thread with Goodsport's "latest SSV newsletter" thread? Same topic.