Gooch Transfer Speculation

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by andygus, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Re: Yes folks, REAL MADRID came calling!

Makes sense to me, good point.

I was wondering about that though... seemed a bit strange that there were rumors of Onyewu transfering out then seeing him playing in the Champions League qualifiers. Unless the parties involved (his agent, himself maybe, etc.) didn't think he'd be going to a club playing in the Champions League.

2. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They were probably thinking that he was a buy for the future and not someone that would come in right away and get minutes this season. If so, then him being cup-tied this season is probably irrelevant. Though raw, I think he would have eventually (this season or next) forced his way onto the field at somepoint though.

3. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Alright folks, I almost hate to do this, but we're at the 500 post limit for this thread... and the transfer season is over.

Probably going to close this thread, if there are reasons to continue portions of this discussion, we can start a new thread.

4. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh great, Wahoo the killjoy!!! ;)
    He'd have been competing with Pavon and Woodgate for minutes to pair up with Cannavaro. Woody hasn't played too much the last few seasons, and Pavon is inconsistent, to say the least.

Gooch wouldn't have walked right into the first team, as the period of adjustment into Madrid society can take several months, if not longer. But if he showed well in training, he'd have seen minutes in some of the three competitions this season.

5. ncguy

ncguy New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    NC
    Can we just go ahead and start the new thread? I mean January is only four months away!

6. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed, time to close up shop here. It's on topic, relevant, interesting, related to recent news and in reference to what is one of the biggest YA stories of the year. Lock it up!:D

7. FlamingTroll

FlamingTroll Member

Nov 13, 2002
    http://www.rscl.be/#1

Sorry to highjack this thread with something beside speculation, but a press article quoted in the Standard web site claims that Standard Late Thursday evening turned down a 4 million euro bid from Fulham and a bid for an unknown amount from ... Real Madrid!

The article states:

"Commenary from (Gooch), visibly in good humor: 'I don't know, ask the management'"

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
  9. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
    This news (rumor?) should be the start of a new thread, in my opinion.

10. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Well if there must be a new thread.... it will have to go there.

Note to self... next time you say you are closing a thread, don't forget to hit the little button that ACTUALLY closes a thread.

Yeah, if there is reason to discuss Gooch transfers, we'll go to a new one.