Adidas debacle in Santa Monica

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kerry Dixon's Boots, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thanks to LocoxRiver for the photo's and vids - I just want to start a thread about the pathetic signing session I wasted 6 hours on. And it would be easier to post replies to this than Loco's great mega thread!!

I got there at 10am, I was going to surprise EddieBa26 (sorry dude it was a surprise, I tried calling after but you didn't pick up, guess you'll read here first) with a signed Chelsea jersey for his wedding in August. The store guys came out and gave us early arrivals tickets and were assured that if we purchased items for the store we would definitely get in as they were only handing out 300 tickets. I had number 200 or so.

Anyway long story short (my letter to the Adidas CEO will be far more detailed) - the 'security' offered by Securitas was a sham (badge number 69699 is who you should mention if you are yourselves writing a letter to Adidas) and they were letting people cut in ahead of 1500 fans (the 300 tickets seemed to have been handed out to 600 fans and many waited on in vain hope after being told by staff that they may get in).

They also were not checking numbers on tickets so people with tickets in the 700's were getting in ahead of those in the 500's (numbers started at 400). By the time I got very close to front a rumour started that the session was omen - rumours were true though the cowardly Adidas staff only said "I don't know" about a million times.

Game over. Except the frustrating follow up. At 3pm we were told players had left, store opens at 4pm. Lies. The Chelsea players (16 + Roman and crew) were indulging in a free shop and photo session (we saw them all in there, only Frankie gave a half wave). We had to wait until 5pm to return our stuff and no apology was issued.

The classic moment was when the staff said it wasn't their fault - blame the residents of Southern California!! If you were there then I urge you to write to Adidas and make your voice heard - this was a disgrace.

Congrats to all the man u, portugal, arsenal and liverpool fans who cut in line, I hope you make a massive profit on e-bay at the expense of the many kids who I saw in tears when they were told by other members of the crowd that Chelsea had gone.

2. Pabmeister

Pabmeister New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Southern California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was one of the last few people lucky enough to get in the store. I had mixed feelings though. I was extremely excited to finally get to meet the team since I have been a fan for 4 years but on the other hand, I felt for the hundreds of people who were left waiting in line.

I felt for them cause' I knew adidas messed this whole thing up. People were cutting, people were lying about there ticket numbers, security was so worthless.

What makes me even more angry was that yes; there were so many Man U & Liverpool fans who got to go in & will probably sell everything on eBay.

3. Pabmeister

Pabmeister New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Southern California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should add that when I got it a worker asked me if I was the last one with a ticket & I was like "no way, there's like 100 more out there". He looked at me & said "oh shit"

They really underestimated the turn out

4. JosyMU_DS

JosyMU_DS New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    horrible. I expected something like that actually. It's alot easier just to go to UCLA there weren't many people there and you have 6 changes of seeing them during the day plus you get to see them train.

5. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    My brotha Dave,
    I appreciate the effort. It would have made a most excellent wedding gift. It's the thought and effort that counts. I'll call you in a few while walking Dante.

-Eddie

6. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  7. americaforlife

americaforlife New Member

May 24, 2006
    Lost Angels
    i knew that was going to happen,thank god i didnt go me and my friend would have started to kick the s hit out of line cutter if we had to wait for more the 4 hours. p.s. what time does the team practice if they are still there monday?

8. MaestroZidane

MaestroZidane New Member

Jul 31, 2006
    Interesting post, I for one when inside the store at 1:30 pm, without a ticket. But either way was fortunate to have front door seats as the team walked into the store toward their seats. of course i got a ton of pics of every player. but yeah, there was really no control since i personally saw people cut into the line and after a couple of pleads, were allowed to get an autograph :mad:

9. jameseyla

jameseyla Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the e-mails that Adidas sent out, Ballack was one of the "headliners" of this autograph session, and he wasn't even there. It doesnt matter, I waited 5 hours not to get in. Getting in turned out to be every man for himself.

10. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Quite disgusting how this whole thing was handled. It sounded like a logistical nightmare to begin with, and the club should have planned to have a "fan day" at the fields.

I feel for the Chelsea fans, but I am sure Kenyon and Co. wont mind hearing that several other fans were anxiously waiting as well. If it makes some of you feel any better, I believe things are not too much different back home. Last match I went too I was surrounded by mostly either by bored kids or yuppies who spent the majority of the game on their mobile phones.

11. deeeez

deeeez New Member

Sep 22, 2003
    I too was at the Santa Monica Signing... It left a very bitter taste in my mouth... the funny thing was that I told my friends at around 11:30 am that we weren't going to get in. It was simple math, "300" tickets given out, you figure it will take at least 30 seconds for someone to walk from the street inside, and have 16 players sign. That means at least 150 minutes of signing time needed when actually we only had 60 minutes.

Nevertheless, we stuck it out and didn't get in.
    I was number 696, I was told the numbering started from 400.

Oh this story has a happy ending though, I went down to UCLA and got the Jersey signed by everyone :)

12. RaDragon

RaDragon New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    City of Angels
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A debacle indeed. I waited in line for a good three and a half hours only to watch them block the door and then the employees retreating to the store without even telling us what was going on. I was about the third or fourth to go next, btw.

I lucked out, however, as I made some new friends whilst waiting and one of them gave us great info on when they train at UCLA. On Tuesday morning, I headed over and had the time of my life -- even if we were on the other side of the fence, I got to see the boys train and such.

Overall, though, the Adidas store management need some schooling on the EPL and their fans and maybe remedial classes on event planning!