No Copa SudAmericana for LA Galaxy

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by EL MONO MARIO, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Um... the Gazetto Dello Sport suggested hiring Bruce Arena to coach Gli Azurri after that tie. It's safe to say they were hysterical. I still have that paper somewhere in my house.

Sachin

2. el chingon

el chingon Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    yea i agree with you. if U.S wants respect they will have to play this kind of tournamnents

3. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd think absolutely owning Mexico would be enough......no, you're probably right. It isn't.

4. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Setting aside for a moment the debate on whether an MLS team even deserves to be invited to this compition, i find it dissapointing we dont have a team competeing in this event.

One of the great barriers for MLS in gaining the support of the hispanic soccer fans in this country is the percieved image that MLS teams are low quality. The best way to change that perception is to compete and defeat clubs in international events that these fans hold in regard as good clubs.

If DC United or FC Dallas or LA Galaxy could enter this event and win matches or even play at a high level against some of the best clubs in South America they would eventually earn respect of the fans. Then no longer is it "embarasing" to admit you like an MLS side.

It builds credibility with your audiance in your product.

I am pretty disapointed no MLS side will compete this year because even in defeat i know DC last season did earn our league a lot of respect and qudos from south americans. I remeber distinctly after the game many S.A's praising the club for thier effort and play.

Now on the question of do we deserve it. No. MLS has no leg to stand on in expecting an invitation. We need to earn slots by performing well in our own regional club championships. Its hard to argue LA deserves to be in this compitition when they are near last place in the league and got bounced out of the CCC in the first round to a Costa rican club that didnt even get in.

5. billyboy23

billyboy23 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    in club soccer, costa rica owns you. that is what he means. you need to perform well in these competitions

6. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    If CONCACAF used the away goals rule like everyone else, Saprissa would've lost to KC, so I don't know if "owned" is the right word. Beyond playing them out of season, they had the 2nd leg in San Jose, and KC still should've won.

7. el chingon

el chingon Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    dont use the out of season excuse, its the mls teams fault they dont train their players!!!

8. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Read the post again. We beat Saprissa if you use the rules most home and home series use. Out of season, in season. Didn't matter.

9. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    true that....

and MOno Mario....

we did learn something when beating Panama at home in the Gold Cup final..that Armas should not take a PK ...or better yet, play any more games for the NT....Of course, it is sort of worrisome that this game even dshould have gone to Pks, but i digress...

and yes, Sudamericana's format makes it the best fit for an MLS team(s)
    and hopefully we get into it next year, via perfoirming well in the continental club championship..it's been a long while since we actually have shown up....

10. lnfected

lnfected New Member

Jul 8, 2006
    usa
    "owning" ya right kid, ya you beat us but u didnt owns us. 3-0 and above is ownage. how many times did mex beat usa? hmmm ya ok. please stop wit the OMG WE WON 2 -0 !!11 OMG!! WE WON THE WORLD CUP! GO TEAM USA WE NOW HAVE RESPECT FOREVER!! stfu. u need to beat us more than just like twice, browsky. and i agree with el mono mario, good words. i think dc united could do good in the sudamericana, im sure they could beat a couple teams and possibly get to semi or final. but the problem is that when u guys win something you guys act like your invinsible like OMG!!! WE WON!! WE OWN THE WORLD!! USA IS THE BEST!! AARGGHHH!!! no no not that dumbass attitude. just a note to alot of u usa fans n mls fans (xcluding chivas usa) .;) take a note, save it , learn it .