tHE CASTING COUCH GAME Thread No. 1: Lights, Camera ,... .....

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Ghost, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    THE CASTING COUCH GAME

1. BASICS
    The basics of the game are simple. Each day, each player will be given a pair of famous/iconic/significant movie roles. The player shall choose a different actor/actress of any era who would be “as good as,” “better in” or “better for” the role. Basically, the question is, “If you couldn’t cast the actor/actress that made the role famous, who would you cast?”

As a silly example, maybe you are assigned a James Cagney character, and you would say that you think Johnny Depp would be a perfect fit for that role. There will be no rule that says you must explain why, but it will certainly help.

FORMAT
    There are two lists. one has the 15 players arranged numerically. The second has the 30 selected movie roles arranged and numbered in 15 pairs.

In the first round, players are matched to the pair with the same number. Each subsequent day, the player moves down to the next numbered pair on the list. When they reach the end,they return to the top of the list and start at the first pair.

Once an actor is chosen for a single role,
    YOU CANNOT repeat that actor for that same role.
    YOU CAN choose that selected actor for another role.
    Also, generally speaking, YOU CAN name the same actor to multiple roles.

We will start with a one-day time limit to make your choices. If that proves difficult, we can adjust accordingly as we go.There is no draft order. You may make your pair of selections each day whenever you wish.

If you haven't seen the movie and/or you are unfamiliar with the character, I suggest you rent it or fake it.

3. WINNER
    At the end, the players will vote for best list, best choice for each character, etc.

GOOD LUCK!

2. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Players list

1)DoctorJones24
    2) Via_Chicago
    3) BlueDaddy19
    4) GringoTex
    5) Claymore
    6) Michael K.
    7) TheSlipperyOne
    8) SirManchester
    9) Ghost
    10) Obie
    11) Iceblink
    12) Bojendyk
    13) BabyTiger2001
    14) bmurphyfl -
    15) Autogolazo

3. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Group 1
    Harry Lime (Orson Welles) from The Third Man
    Rose DeWitt (Kate Winslet) from Titanic

Group 2
    Scarlett O'Hara (Vivien Leigh) from Gone with the Wind
    Jake Gittes (Jack Nicholson) from Chinatown

Group 3
    Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) from Star Wars
    Dorothy (Judy Garland) from The Wizard of Oz

Group 4
    Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford) from Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc.
    George Bailey (Jimmy Stewart) from It's a Wonderful Life

Group 5
    Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart) from Casablanca
    Lt. Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) from Alien

Group 6
    Alex de Large (Malcolm McDowell) from A Clockwork Orange
    Harry Powell (Robert Mitchum) from Night of the Hunter

Group 7
    Dr. Strangelove/President Merton Muffley/that English major guy (Peter Sellers) in Dr. Strangelove
    Travis Bickle (Robert DeNiro) from Taxi Driver

Group 8
    Howard Beale (Peter Finch) from Network
    James Bond (Sean Connery, etc.) from Goldfinger, etc.

Group 9
    The Little Tramp (Charlie Chaplin) from Modern Times, etc.
    Walter Burns (Cary Grant) from His Girl Friday

Group 10
    Norma Desmond (Gloria Swanson) from Sunset Boulevard
    Margo Channing (Bette Davis) from All About Eve

Group 11
    Don Vito Corleone (Marlon Brando) from The Godfather
    T.S. Lawrence (Peter O'Toole) from Lawrence of Arabia

Group 12
    Don Lockwood (Gene Kelly) from Singin' in the Rain
    Holly Golightly (Audrey Hepburn) from Breakfast at Tiffany's

Group 13
    Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins) from Psycho
    Mary Poppins (Julie Andrews) from Mary Poppins

Group 14
    Hans Gruber (Alan Rickman) from Die Hard
    The Man with No Name (Clint Eastwood) from various spaghetti westerns

Group 15
    Ebeneezer Scrooge (various actors) from A Christmas Carol
    Phyllis Dietrichson (Barbara Stanwyck) from Double Indemnity

4. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    First Round

1) DoctorJones24
    Group 1

2) Via_Chicago
    Group 2
    Scarlett O'Hara (Vivien Leigh) from Gone with the Wind
    Jakes Gittes (Jack Nicholson) from Chinatown

3) BlueDaddy19
    Group 3
    Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) from Star Wars
    Dorothy (Judy Garland) from The Wizard of Oz

4) GringoTex
    Group 4
    Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford) from Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc.
    George Bailey (Jimmy Stewart) from It's a Wonderful Life

5) Claymore
    Group 5
    Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart) from Casablanca
    Lt. Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) from Alien

6) Michael K.
    Group 6
    Alex de Large (Malcolm McDowell) from A Clockwork Orange
    Harry Powell (Robert Mitchum) from Night of the Hunter

7) TheSlipperyOne
    Group 7
    Dr. Strangelove/President Merton Muffley/that English major guy (Peter Sellers) in Dr. Strangelove
    Travis Bickle (Robert DeNiro) from Taxi Driver

8) SirManchester
    Group 8

9) Ghost
    Group 9
    The Little Tramp (Charlie Chaplin) from Modern Times, etc.
    Walter Burns (Cary Grant) from His Girl Friday

10) Obie
    Group 10
    Norma Desmond (Gloria Swanson) from Sunset Boulevard
    Margo Channing (Bette Davis) from All About Eve

11) Iceblink
    Group 11
    Don Vito Corleone (Marlon Brando) from The Godfather
    T.S. Lawrence (Peter O'Toole) from Lawrence of Arabia

12) Bojendyk
    Group 12
    Don Lockwood (Gene Kelly) from Singin' in the Rain
    Holly Golightly (Audrey Hepburn) from Breakfast at Tiffany's

13) BabyTiger2001
    Group 13
    Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins) from Psycho
    Mary Poppins (Julie Andrews) from Mary Poppins

14) bmurphyfl -
    Group 14
    Hans Gruber (Alan Rickman) from Die Hard

15) Autogolazo
    Group 15
    Ebeneezer Scrooge (various actors) from A Christmas Carol
    Phyllis Dietrichson (Barbara Stanwyck) from Double Indemnity

5. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may get this wrong as first out of the box, but let me try...

Norma Desmond: Faye Dunaway. I remember watching Mommy Dearest and thinking that Faye wasn't playing Joan Crawford, she was playing Norma Desmond. One of the few actresses who could make Norma more pathetic.

Margo Channing: Tallulah Bankhead. Way too obvious but it's the advantage of going first. Bette was playing Tallulah playing Margo, so why include the middlewoman? Go straight to the source, damnit.

6. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we're not going in any order, so here's my first round picks:

Rick Blaine, Casablanca - Jack Nicholson. Think about how he played Jake Geddes in Chinatown.

Lt. Ripley, Alien(s) - Sigourney Weaver. I just can't think of anyone else who could have pulled this off with the same intensity, without overacting.

7. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I've got a decent alternative for Gene Kelly, but I have to admit that the Audrey Hepburn replacement has me utterly stumped.

8. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nicholson would be a fine choice if we were talking about Philip Marlowe or Sam Spade, but this is Casablanca here. Bogart is Rick. You won't find anyone "better than" but maybe, just maybe, as good as. This is a really tough one.

Come on. Pick someone for Ripley! :p

Yeah, that's a tough one. I think I've got a decent replacement for Leigh, but I'll be damned if that's not one of the toughest roles to replace well on this list, since it's easily one of the most iconic, like Holly Golightly.

9. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Okay, after some thought . . .

Gene Kelly had charisma in spades and matchless talent, so it's hard to think of anyone else in that role. Still, I think Dick Van Dyke could have pulled it off--he could sing well enough, and I'd argue that his comic timing and mugging would have improved the silent movie scenes. He's not half the dancer than Gene Kelly was, but his legwork had an awkward charm of its own, not unlike that of Peter Crouch.

Truman Capote's original Breakfast at Tiffany's novella doesn't pull any punches about Holly Golightly's character or profession: she was a call girl. The character in the novella resembled Sally Bowles almost as much as she resembled Audrey Hepburn's version of the character. However, while Minnelli may have the requisite damaged childhood, I can't imagine her bringing the room-warming charm that Hepburn gave the role. Thus, I'm suggesting Judy Garland.

10. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    after some consideration:

luke skywalker - i'm gonna have to go with ryan gosling, probably best known for "remember the titans" and "murder by numbers" - i feel he could nail the coming of age luke naivete and the inner turmoils better than hamill did

[​IMG]

dorothy - this was a tough call between 4-5 ladies from all different eras, but i actually like mandy moore to handle the acting/singing/dancing at a level that would make miss show business quite proud

[​IMG]

i will now await my first gringotex beating...

11. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    This fruit might be a little too low hanging for Gringo to bother messing with. ;)

12. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Claymore, perhaps I'm just dense and missing something, but the rules are that it must be someone other than the actor who played the role.

13. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    he can say what he wants, i've been impressed by her recent acting and she was the only one of my "cute kansas farm girl looking" options that i was sure could sing and dance well enough

i had another option i really wanted to take, but i've never actually heard her sing

14. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Folks, this is an update ....

I got messages from Michael K. and BlueDaddy this morning, the two guys who had not picked a character by last night.
    Michael said he was planning on selecting Lawrence of Arabia, anyway. So we unknowingly had added his character. In fact, coincidentally, he even drew the character for the first round. Go figure.

Ow, BlueDaddy wanted Hans Gruber (Alan Rickman) from Die Hard. The choice I assigned to him was Captain Jack Sparrow. With the approval bmurphyfl, who drew Sparrow, and given that every other player has had the opportunity to give their own pick, I am going to go ahead and make the change. Besides, as he correctly points out, we could use a good villain.

So, the updated group 14 .....

Group 14
    Hans Gruber (Alan Rickman) from Die Hard.

15. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I love the 13th group. Norman Bates and Mary Poppins. Does it get any weirder?

16. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I the only one who thinks that the role of Norman Bates might, just might, be the hardest in the game?

17. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I have an idea for that one, actually. by the way, if anyone thinks I stacked the deck on the draw, I have to figure out in one day who can replace Cary Grant playing Cary Grant. Guh.

18. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [/cough] Vince Vaughn [/quote]

Also, I'm still thinking who to cast but I will post my choices up tonight.

19. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    [/QUOTE]

Yeah, that only seems to strengthen his point.

20. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    8) SirManchester
    Group 8

-My selection is Brian Cox, who, for me possesses the fervor to pull off that famous speech Beale delivers, he has the voice and the looks.
    [​IMG]

-My selection is Alain Delon. Not only has he handled roles where he had to do physical stunts (Zorro) but he has the body for Bond, and that cool delivery, plus he's also one damn handsome guy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nice picks. I've thought about Cox for a couple of roles but I already have ones ready for Howard Beale and Bond.

Now I just have to decide on my picks for this round!

22. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Group 1
    This was a strange role to choose, IMO. Basically a character who is only on screen for 2 scenes in the movie. Both are famous scenes, to be sure, but Cotten's role is by far the more complex and memorable. And yes, I did just rewatch the movie during lunch today to make sure.

I think I'm going to go with Daniel Day Lewis as Harry Lyme. I'd love to see him take a crack at the speech in the ferris wheel, talking about the little dots disappearing.

Gonna go with Natalie Wood. She seems to exhude the innocence with the hidden rebelliousness that the character needs. She'd be equally convincing dining in the state room as getting sweaty dancing to the Irish pub band.

23. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You bastard, I had Natalie Wood lined up as the best possible choice for that character. Kudos to you mein freund.

24. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    First round:

Dr. Strangelove, etc.: Cary Grant. He can do the absurd but act the straight man as well. And he's effin' Cary Grant!

[​IMG]

Travis Bickle: Robert Downey, Jr. Pathetic, crazy and searching for something. Downey's range of depth and emotion along with empathy could be great in this role.

[​IMG]

25. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    One of the big issues is whether you go with the conteporary actor who is similar to the star but not held in quite the same esteem, or to go with a star from a different era that holds the same appeal. Naturally in such a dispute, I'll split the difference.

For the Little Tramp, I'm going to go with

Harold Lloyd

[​IMG]

Contemporaneous silent comedy star. He started out with success doing knockoffs of Chaplin before he evolved into his character. And like Chaplin in Modern Times, he seems to know his way around a clock.

For Cary Grant, I'm going with ......

George Clooney

[​IMG]

for lack of more imagination. Clooney has the same suave demeanor, can seem slightly scandalous yet retain his appeal. Loaded with screen magnetism. The last classic star. Can he do comedy? Right about now, I'm wishing that I'd watched Intolerable Cruelty so I would know.
    I thought about some of the conteemporaneous screwballers, but they all seem like models for wedding cake ornaments. They give off the feeling of giving Ralph Bellamy a fighting chance. Clooney doesn't do that.