2006-07 Games on US TV.. What goes where?

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Shearer9

Shearer9 Member

Apr 4, 2004
    Greenville, SC
    I got an email today from Setanta stating that they would be making an announcement "shortly". Hopefully they'll have picked up the rights by August 5th, so I can subscribe for the beginning of the Football League season.

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Chicago
    I also received an email from Setanta today and they confirmed they will be showing the following:

Coca-Cola Championship starting the first weekend of the season (Aug 5-6)
    German Bundesliga
    Scottish Premier League
    French Ligue 1

Also, they did not say specifically that they were going to show English Premier League matches, but I was also told an announcement would be made shortly and from what I have gathered on here and listening to World Soccer Daily, Setanta will be airing Premiership matches during the 2006-2007 season.

This morning Steven Cohen said, "for those of you with cable or Dish Network you better start checking how long your contracts are for because you are going to want to get the Setanta Sports Channel before the Premiership season starts on Aug. 19th."

I am not sure who told Steven but he seems to know. I just made the switch to DirecTV from Dish and let them know why and they were surprised which made no sense to me.

3. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You seem to be repeating over and over, as if there is an implicit assumption of "a switch to DirecTV" is mandatory for Setanta USA, which is completely wrong.

None of the digital cables nor DISH have Setanta USA right now, and they may not even get it in the forseeable future. However, this in way implies that a "switch" to DirecTV is needed in order to get Setanta USA.

4. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    ???

if you want Setanta, there IS only one choice.

5. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    no there are 2. directv or globecast. globecast you can have installed for $175 and then pay $11.99 monthly. you can then keep your regular cable or dish network subscription and also get setanta without having any other globecast packages. (or if you are adventurous you can get the reciever and dish yourself and install it yourself)

6. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    interesting......how do I convince the wife?

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Chicago
    Perhaps I am not the most literate computer person in the world, but I have read your comments on the other threads about this and I have no desire to go through all the different avenues of buying a satellite from WorldCom or whatever it is to get Setanta.

Additionally, I have no desire to watch matches on the Internet using Setanta Broadband.

Reading your posts about how to make the change not get DirecTV was like reading an instruction manual in a foreign language to me. That is not to say your information was not correct and accurate, it just did not make much sense to me. I guess I am the fool.

Regardless, I had no contractual obligation to Dish Network and the easiest way for me to get Setanta was to sign up for DirecTV. Which is what I have done.

Perhaps for those who did not read the other thread about this you can try to letting them know how one can go about getting Setanta without DirecTV. In my opinion, it is not as easy as you make it out to be.

8. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Find some crap program that she's really intersted in that you can add on. Convince her she really needs it..... Although, being a married man myself, I imagine it shouldn't be all that hard.

9. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Yet you have desire to order another DBS system, including installing another dish and the system?

No one is talking about Setanta broadband. We are all advocates of subbing to Dish Network and Globecast.

The easiest way? Now you give up the chance to watch 8 CL games/matchday on ESPN Deportes, as well as the Euro qualifiers involving Holland...

How do you get DirecTV? you install the dish yourself?

yes? then you would have no trouble installing the Globecast dish and connect it to the receiver.

No? then you would have no trouble ordering an install on the Globecast system rather than the DirecTV system.

So what's the difficult part?

10. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    That might be a little hard. Setanta is pretty much the only channel on the Globecast service that is full time in english that isn't a religious channel. Globecast is mainly a satellite provider for foreign programming. That isn't to say it's a bad choice, but i doubt there's much up there to interest you past Setanta. The good thing is, unlike dish, directv, and cable, they don't make you pay for all those extra channels. you just pay for setanta and that's it.

As for asking how to convince the wife... we're all adults here. I'm sure she's spent $175 on something that had absolutely nothing to do with you fairly recently. Just be honest and say "This is cheaper than me ordering pay per view now" and be done with it. But i think the bulk of this post belongs on bigmarriage.com :D

11. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Chicago
    In my case switching to Direct is the way to go. I had no contractual obligations from DISH and DirecTV equipment and installation was free. In addition, I received a $100 mail-in rebate from DirecTV and also a portable DVD player. So, in addition to getting everything installed, I am actually saving myself the $175 that would cost for the Globecase equipment and probably even more money to have it installed. I have no clue how to install a satellite and I felt it best to have a professional take care of it for me.

Thus, while switching to DirecTV may not be the best option for everyone, I feel it was the best option for me. I did not have ESPN Deportes when I had Dish anyways. I feel I will be pleased with things when everything is up and running later today.

12. themaestro

themaestro Member

Nov 9, 2005

Wonder to what extent they will be covered? 1 match per week?
    Sounds great though.

Is the Dutch league going to be shown?

13. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    You will be!

14. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California
    I'm not sure why you are not talking about Setanta broadband.

If you have DISH, including ESPN Deportes for the Champions League, by far the simplest course of action is just to subscribe to Setanta Broadband for the extra matches until DISH adds Setanta - which may be sooner rather than later if lots of people email them and ask for it to be added.

Meanwhile, no hardware installation necessary at all.

10 years from now, most niche TV programming will be over the Internet, only shows like "Vote for your favorite bug-eating Celebrity" will be on broadcast/cable...

15. Douai

Douai New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    États-Unis
    Yeah, except they might not show the exciting football matches on Setanta Broadband.Their website even says:
    "Setanta Broadband is a new service from Setanta that shows some of the great action available on Setanta Sports, allowing you to watch it on your home or work computer."
    http://www.setanta.com/portal/systemcontent/broadband
    And from reading the page about Setanta Broadband it sounds like they mostly show rugby matches:
    "We have another packed schedule on Setanta Broadband in August, with top-class Rugby Union including the Tri-Nations and the NPC, as well Rugby League, and the new football season.
    We also have top-class Gaelic Games action with both the All-Ireland Football and Hurling championships as well as our extensive archive.
    Please note that our Gaelic Games coverage will be pay-per-view from the quarter-finals onwards."

16. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's good for you and I hope you enjoy it.

I just wish this propagation of myth be stopped that: "a switch to DirecTV is the only way to get Setanta USA, and existing DISH or digital cables would need to dumped". If that was the easiest and attractive option for you, it doesn't mean it will be for everyone else.

As far as instructions for getting Setanta USA a-la-carte from GlobeCast, I think I had posted them earlier in this thread itself. Anyway, here is the link again:

http://www.globecastworldtv.com/ch_setanta.htm

I'm not sure what is so difficult or arcane in understanding this procedure. It is no more complicated (in fact, less invasive) than dumping an existing system and switching to DirecTV.

17. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

hmmm...that is an option but considering that you can dump your cable or dish at no cost and have direct TV installed and get rebates on the installation fee, plus get a slew programming including sentanta for relatively LESS than the cost it is to buy a globecast system then you're wrong it isn't less invasive. Especially considering you have to wait anywhere from 5-7 business days to get your equipment, then install it yourself and hope and pray it works. And who wnats 2 dishes on their house, when they can just have one?

An option? by far yes! less invasive? nah.

18. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true for many, if they have 18 month or whatever commitments with DISH or digital cable.

Can you get ESPN Deportes?

Can you get World Sport HD?

In fact, can you even get Telefutura national feeds, even with DirecTV Para Todos? If you don't live in a market with local Telefutura, you're hosed.

What's that? No? I'm sorry, that whole slew of programming means nothing to me without above. I can get my Setanta USA and whole slew of programming including above without DirecTV, thank you very much.

Only "slew of programming" which you can't get without DirecTV (and which I don't personally give a toss about) is TyC Sports and NFL Sunday Ticket. There is considerable Argentine league coverage on Fox Sports en Espan~ol without needing TyC for me personally, and NFL Sunday Ticket? Well, this is bigsoccer.com.

As far as costs are concerned, the running cost for Setanta USA is exactly identical on DirecTV or Globecast ~ $12 a month. Setanta installation cost (from your comments I'm assuming you're not a self-installer kind, even if it saved costs) is a one time deal. But the way I look at it, it is a lot cheaper than the more expensive option of having both DISH and DirecTV. Or both digital cable and DirecTV. Plus, it also opens up window on a whole bunch of other FTA programming nothing to do with GlobeCast for no cost at all. (The "F" in FTA stands for "free".)

It is. If I lose programming listed above.

I do. If it gives me exactly the programming I want for the least total cost.

If you have a digital cable + GlobeCast combination, you will have just one.

See above.

Once again, if things work out only with DirecTV for you, more power to you. But don't go on tooting that that's the exclusively attractive option. It is important for others to be aware of other valuable alternatives, and they can be misled by such comments.

19. davisplaid

davisplaid New Member

Aug 5, 2002
    durham
    yeah well what about those of us who have trees....or live in an apartment...what do we do?

20. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
  21. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Hate to dolapost, but: BTW, looks like GolTV and Setanta have both conifrmed that they will be airing Bundesliga games this season

22. davisplaid

davisplaid New Member

Aug 5, 2002
    durham

Me: Hey sweetie...can we talk?

Old lady: Sure whats up?

M: We need to move in the next 23 days...or have at least one of our huge trees cut down.

OL: What happened? Did you get a letter from the neighborhood association? Whats going on?

M: No, No, it nothing bad...just um well we need a new place...don't you think? And why not do it now.....?

OL: 23 days....wait a minute this is about Arsenal isn't it?

M: Well not totally....I...

OL: WE ARE NOT MOVING SO YOU CAN GET THAT CHANNEL..GET A LIFE!

M: (back to big soccer for new ideas)

23. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    after reading that the German League is now on Gol TV and Santanta too, I think that this is the knock-out punch fpr FSC is alk lthey have to compete is the EPL and one Argentinian game. That is not really enough to compete when you have a network like GOL TV that has every S.American league out there as well as La Leauga and Seria and now adds the German angle.

Simon T

24. metros1018

metros1018 New Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Just added to the Gol Tv Schedule this weekend 2 Bundesliga games Hamburg vs Hertha Berlin and 930 and at 1215 Schalke04 vs Bayer Leverkusen. So it looks like we get 2 games on Goltv live of Bundesliga action. This was found on the Gol Tv site.

25. joebloe888

joebloe888 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 1, 2005
    Fuyutu Island
    Those German games on GolTV this weekend are the quarterfinals of the German League Cup (Liga Pokal), not the Bundesliga.

I briefly spoke to the consultant who conducted the US/Canada TV rights auction over the summer. He didn't sound too happy when I told him that GolTV announced on Wednesday night that it had bought the rights to some Bundesliga games.