2006-07 Games on US TV.. What goes where?

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Jul 6, 2006.

1. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005
    I asked them that a while back after seeing some article mentioning the possibility, and they told me that there were no plans. But I believe they are the ones who sublicensed the La Liga and UEFA Cup games to WorldsportHD, who showed one game per gameday of each in HD.

2. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005

Does GOL TV buy the rights from another rights holder, such as Arena in Germany, or do they buy the rights directly from the LFP?

3. joebloe888

joebloe888 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 1, 2005
    Fuyutu Island
    I just don't see either GolTV or ESPN International/(insert English-language US/Canadian TV partner here) breaking the bank in order to get the TV rights to La Liga.

ESPN International has shown in the past that it is willing to hold out for as long as necessary in order for the marketing agent to lower the price for La Liga TV rights in Latin America.

Don't forget that ESPN International chose to pass on its last rights of refusal 3 years ago for La Liga TV rights in the US and Canada. ESPN could have snuffed out GolTV 3 years ago by matching GolTV's bid, but chose not to.

Granted, the business has changed in 3 years. GolTV launched GolTV Latin America last November, which is in direct competition with ESPN in the Argentina market. (I don't believe GolTV has gotten into Mexico yet.)

As for GolTV, it has plenty of other products in both US/Canada and Latin America. Those products provide GolTV with "insurance policies" just in case GolTV were to lose La Liga.

In my opinion, GolTV does not depend on a single product to justify its existence in either the US/Canada or Latin America regions the way FOX Soccer Channel has to have a piece of the EPL in order to stay in business in the US.

4. KesOne

KesOne BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 11, 2005
    Nueva Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    But also, some of those other leagues they show are sublicensing Goltv. And when you look at them I cant think they show those games in their country in HD. I think either Goltv has to get all their HD equipment themselves and be able to broadcast in the leagues they show, or those leagues get the HD equipment and sublicense it to Goltv's new HD channel. Yeah something like that ;)

5. joebloe888

Aug 1, 2005
    Fuyutu Island
    GolTV, ESPN International, and FOX Sports International (and its predecessors, Prime International and La Cadena Deportiva Prime Ticket) all did business with Barcelona-based marketing agency MediaPro for TV rights to La Liga, dating back to 1993.

I have not read anything to indicate that the LFP (La Liga) has switched marketing agents or has taken the sale of international TV rights in house (the way EPL's corporate parent FAPL Limited has done.)

6. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005
    I agree with everything you've said here, but I want to add that I believe ESPN does not consider GOLTV a competitor in this country (although they certainly sound like they are in Latin America!). What I am gathering then is that they sell the rights for La Liga for all of North and South America as one package. Is this correct? Because if rights were divided for North America and Latin America, both sides would be interested in the latter (if the price is right), while I believe only GOL would be interested in the US (ESPN could put it on Deportes, but they seem to only put properties that they have rights to anyway when it comes to soccer...except things like MLS and the US National Team and of course the World Cup...and usually it is some other country that they purchased the rights for, and if the rights include the US they can show it here).

7. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have just been checking Soccer TV's web site. According to their web site, GOL TV has rights to 4 German soccer matches this week. They are also listing the teams, so its looks as though these games will be shown. I have found out through the website that GOL has the rights to the Liverpool - Maccabi Haifa game on August 15th. I'm assuming this is the first leg.
    Simon T

8. Elisa Uranga

Elisa Uranga New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Sierra Madre, CA
    The Liverpool CL games are part of the Weekly Liverpool TV show on Gol TV.

Please I need my La Liga. I hope Gol TV keep the league. I especially love 45/45's insight on La Liga.

9. KesOne

Mar 11, 2005
    Nueva Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    What is worrying me is that they havent added the Budesliga to their leagues section on their site. So as far as them carrying it, nothing is written in stone yet.

10. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I'm hoping they pick it up as well. I'm sure they will, though. With all the coverage they've been giving to the Liga Pokal, it would seem awkward for them not to. Also, the Dortmund-Bayern game will be on GolTV this Friday, with more games the next day.

It appears as if things are optimistic right now.

11. KesOne

Mar 11, 2005
    Nueva Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I'm getting the sense they are big C teasers. By C of course I mean "coverage'
    :D

12. metros1018

metros1018 New Member

Jun 17, 2003
    If you go to soccertv under Germany there are games listed for week2 as well so I just think they didnt update the leagues page yet but its obvious that its going to be on.

13. JustinC83

JustinC83 Member

Aug 10, 2006
    here is what i gathered so far for Us Man UTD Fans for tv in the United States for EPL Matches

Fulham Aug 20th 8AM Setanta
    Charlton Aug 23rd 3PM Setanta
    Watford (NO TV INFO YET)
    Tottenham Sept 9th 12PM FSC
    Arsenal Sept 17th 11AM FSC
    Reading Sept 23rd 12PM FSC
    Blackburn Nov. 11th 12 PM FSC
    Middlesbrough Dec. 2nd 12 PM FSC

im guessing the games that i haven't listed in between sept and nov and any others not listed, will be on Setanta. It is hard to get Setanta's schedule past two weeks

hope this helps

14. joebloe888

Aug 1, 2005
    Fuyutu Island
    I expect Setanta Sports USA to take EVERY Man Utd game it can get its hands on.

There are probably more Man Utd fans in the US than there are Liverpool, Arsenal, Newcastle, and Chelsea fans COMBINED.

15. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Agreed. FSC ALWAYS chose ManU to go on pay-per-view whenever the club had a Saturday 10am (eastern) kickoff.
    The only way ManU will end up on FSC this season is if they play Saturday 12:15pm or Sunday 11am (Eastern) kickoff.
    Towards the end of the season, if there's a race for the title but United are not involved, there could be a chance Setanta would pass on them. Maybe. Perhaps. :confused:
    Doubt it. :p

16. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After looking at FSC's website and checkiong out the Coca Cola League, I followed a link to a FA Cup page. It seems from this page that how theTV coverage in the USA will work in the new season is that FSC will not start showing any FA Cup matches until the 3rd round. They say that if you wish to follow the first two rounds you can tune into Sky Sports News or FSW Report, and catch highlights.

In my opinion that is a very poor line up. The firdst two rounds are always the most interesting and the most fum, as you get to see clubs that you would never otherwise see, or that are non-league.

Simont

17. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any Monday games would also be on FSC (they have those).

18. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    GOOD NEWS. GolTV announced today that they will be covering the Bundesliga this season!

19. KesOne

Mar 11, 2005
    Nueva Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Exellente. Thats great news man. Now all they have to do is update their website.

20. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Right, and you can count on Sky picking Man U and Chelsea for lots of Sunday 11 AM games, which as stated earlier, are on FSC. Sky and Setanta have only picked domestic TV games for the first half of the season so far.

21. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica
    But are the rights for those games available? Are those early round matches even carried on TV in England?

22. MyTZeus

MyTZeus New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    Boring Suburban Hell
    Good. Now get the La Liga package, GolTV.

23. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, usually a couple are televised from each round.

24. critchio

critchio Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Looks like Setanta has worked out it's deal for Dutch Eredivisie for next season. PSV vs NEC Nijmegen live has popped up on the schedule at 6.30am ET on August 20th.

Setanta really seems to be pulling out all the tricks this offseason.

25. joebloe888

Aug 1, 2005
    Fuyutu Island
    Another example of the soccer TV rights business as a "poker game":

FOX Sports International (FSI) has been shopping around for a Canadian sublicensee for the English FA Community Shield for months.

No takers until...

FSI was faced with the prospect of eating those rights.

Global TV in Winnipeg figured that out a long time ago and waited, and waited, and waited...

...until Friday August 11, less than 48 hours before kickoff.

Magically, a deal was done.

FOX Sports World Canada ended up with exclusive telecast rights to the Community Shield in Canada.

What a surprise!