Question on the young keeper

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by CanuckFan2, Mar 10, 2003.

1. CanuckFan2

CanuckFan2 New Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Calgary
    Some people over at the main Canadian supporters' site have the impression that your young keeper, Josh Saunders, is eligible to play for Canada. It's a bit confusing as the MLS site has him born in Toronto. Saw another bio at his university site (IIRC) that said he was born in Oregon. I think he played for your U23 MNT in December.
    Can anybody set the record straight on this guy??
    Is he Canadian by birth.
    If so, has he been capped in a FIFA competition?
    Do I need to add to my Earthquake Canuck connection props??
    Go Pwamme! Go Frank! Go donovan9!

2. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw the MLS site and saw the Toronto listing as well under hometown and wondered if it was a mistake. Its listed as Grants Pass, Oregon on the Cal site btw.

He definately played HS ball down at Lake Forest (southern edge of LA metro), so that makes me wonder. The Quake site lists his birthplace as Toronto too though.

Id tend to believe the college site, since they had him longer and an error would be more likely, but its something worth clearing up.

3. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, here's some uneducated ramblings:

If he was born in Canada and raised in the US, he probably has dual citizenship -or- is still a Canadian citizen.

In either case, he would have a choice of which team he'd like to pursue. If he's not a US citizen now, he could likely become one easily.

Of course, it's a long way from declaring one's citizenship to getting invited to national team camp.

In summary, I have absolutely nothing of value to add to this discussion, but in true Quakes forum tradition, added it anyway.

4. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just did a search on U.S. Soccer's site, and yes, Saunders has been capped at the Under-23 level.

Played as recently as December 21 of last year, against Canada: http://www.ussoccer.com/services/fullstory.sps?iNewsID=25649&iCategoryID=

Came on as a halftime sub in place of Doug Warren.

Therefore, he'd be ineligible to play for Canada, dual citizenship or otherwise, since he's already been capped at underage level for the USA.

5. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Matt Cooke. First player to be named to the NHL Divers' list

6. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    Friendlies don't cap tie you to a country. If Saunders played for the US U23 in Olympic qualifying or the Olympics themselves (or any other official FIFA event) he'd be US property forever. Same as how Adu wasn't US cap tied by the friendlies they played in Florida, only in the actual U17 qualifiers.

His cap against Canada makes me think it's a sign he wants to play for the US, but it's hard to know.

In any event he has far more important things to worry about now.

cheers,
    hobbes

P.S. please take Bo Oshoniyi off of our hands. Please! ;)

7. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whatever his citizenship, it does make me feel better that he's gotten some U-23 experience and is at least considered good enough to get a looksee at that level.

maybe he'll be ready to take on the challenge after all. march 23 and the CCC is just around the corner...

8. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. No. No. I've seen Oshoniyi, but I've never seen Saunders. Still I wouldn't agree to taking Oshoniyi.

9. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fixed

10. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Over-rated Fat Tony needs Bo around to make himself look good. Job security.

11. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anybody else watch the Fusion pound Kansas City 5/6-0 in 2001? I think KC was down 2 goals already and Fat Tony got hurt bending over to pick the ball up out of his net. Bo was thrown in there and got creamed. Somewhere, Bo Jackson was not smiling.

12. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    I don't remember that game...
    Last year, while Tony was with the US Nats, Bo stepped up and held his own in MLS, at least.

13. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Oh please.....He was horrible.....i've never seen an MLS keeper soooooo lost in the net. Held his own???.....nuts maybe.

14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Isn't that less than one goal (although more than zero, which I'm sure was enough for the Fusion to win)? :eek:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G