What the hell was that half time show/commercial

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by mbar, Jun 25, 2006.

1. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of you who were at the game...what the fuk?

That was a new low for the franchise.

Anyone else disgusted by that?

2. Benaround

Benaround New Member

May 27, 2005
    GAAAHHH! :eek: I had to hide in the shi**er to get away from the screamers on the microphones! Folks on the West side said it may have something to do with filming of an Apprentice episode. They say "The Donald" was in one of the special boxes, snacking and talking on camera.

3. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which would also explain the helicopter filming the game/stadium.

It was weak. I was yelling "Get off the field" and "I'll never visit GNC again." But because I was on the west side, nobody joined me.

The closest (and perhaps worse) thing to that mess, was the drunken Las Vegas lounge lizard in the green Zoot Suit who butchered the National Anthem at the Rose Bowl.

4. ricksfoot

ricksfoot New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Absolutely annoying and idiotic.

Trump was spotted on the deck above the Staduim Club.

5. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Will he buy the Galaxy?

6. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they showed The Donald on TV. He looked real interested in the game.:rolleyes:

7. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much do you think the Galaxy charged for the right to turn their half time into a joke? I mean, how bush league was that comercial?

The question is, how little would it take for the galaxy to whore themselves out like that?

I'm guessing under $10k

8. annoying04

annoying04 New Member

Dec 20, 2004
    california
    LARS was right by the filming. while they were filming we and chanted "GNC sucks" and then something about Barry Bonds.

and then someone saw trump, and so all of us starting singing "donald trump sucks" so he waved to us, smiling. and then we started saying "you're fired" so then trump fired us. pretty bizzarre if you ask me.

9. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So were those aprentice contestants doing the screeching on the field into the microphones?

That was really suck tac u lar effort by them.

And I realy appreciated the helicoptor circleing overhead throughout the first half.

What a bizarre night.

10. Carson Galaxy

Carson Galaxy Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Downey, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have had more respect for Cozmo if he had kicked everyone's ass on the field at halftime....but he didn't.

11. I Just Don't Know

I Just Don't Know New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Riverside

Cadaver, you totally made our night. We were laughing our butts off at the stupidity of the show and then you come along screaming at them! My husband thought you were way better than the "show!" :D

12. mdesimone1

mdesimone1 New Member

Jul 26, 2000
    California
    That was the worst display I have every seen at a soccer game. People were covering their ears. The scene was only insult to injury after the Ghana game this week. I did not even want to attend the LA game- my wife pretty much made me. The game was a joke because of the commercial. When are fans going to feel like the US has real professional soccer? I am sick of defending the sport to everyone, just to see something like this. GNC made LA look amateur. I am embarrassed.

13. New Mexican

New Mexican Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to learn to accept the fact that the MLS has regressed and the teams are composed of mostly amateurs that get paid for playing and look worse than high school players.

14. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always happy to be of service. :D

Come by and say hello at the next game!

15. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So your halftime shows aren't always that ghastly?

16. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Anyone care to inform the rest of us who weren't able to be at the HDC, about the commercial?

17. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Last season The Apprentice crashed a Rutgers football game. Only the best for Donald Trump.

I think Bill Rancic was next to Trump, laughing his head off at the chants. (Which weren't all that great. We did the traditional "Who are ya!" chant, but that was about it for creativity. Everyone in the park except for the Quake fans brought their Z-game last night.) No, there's no reason for you to care who Bill Rancic is.

EDIT to answer the question - it looked like the GNC Laff-a-lympics. They had giant pills running an obstacle course, basically. Who was supposed to be winning what was a mystery to me. If I had known it was for The Apprentice....no, I still would have hated it. But I could at least have carried on my one-man war to get George Ross back on the air. No, there's no reason for you to care who George Ross is.

18. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    First of all, to LA fans, I'm relieved to know that your normal halftime shows aren't like that!

To add to the description, here's what it was:

GNC had two "Skits" which were shown on the field, each lasted about 4-5 minutes. The first one was supposed to show "Joe Normal" guy in a boxing or wrestling rink, running out of energy to fight, and then he gets some kind of help from GNC supplements and all of a sudden he wins his match. Whoever the announcer was had to try to get the fans to chant "Go GNC" or something like that. We thought that was pretty bad, but then they brought out a second skit.

This one had people in outfits that were like GNC supplement bottles, and they had an obstacle course that was supposed to show how the GNC supplements could help you go faster or something. Then there was a point where the people/supplements were running through a blocked artery or something. But the worst part of the second skit was that the two girls/women who were announcing had the most earsplitting, shrieky voices you can imagine. It was sheer torture just listening to them.

Then, at the end the fans were supposed to hold up a colored card to indicate which team/skit was better. Everyone was so disgusted that they didn't vote. So if this was a contest for the Apprentice, they'll have to do some really creative editing to show any of it and not make everyone look like fools (unless that was the intent).

19. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    So did they know the stadium was going to be half empty on that day or what?

20. jameseyla

jameseyla Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they are typically U-8, 15v15 matches.

21. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Too bad, given that there were so many kids' teams there, hundreds of young players whose main memory of the game will focus on maniacal vitamins.

I'm amazed that some of you can remember the half-time in such detail, as we were trying to distract ourselves from the carnage, and it was all I could do to keep myself from crawling under the seat and assuming the fetal position.

If you have any GNC stock, short it.

22. lou czar

lou czar Member

Sep 26, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes,

You couldn't buy upper deck day of game. So they were desparate to put more people in camera range. The sound was up so high that no one could hear our BALCO chants up there.

They planned this months in advance, figuring it would be a battle for first, with discounts available, it should have been 20k in the house. But hey, 9 pts now, and I believe a low point, a gameday giveaway on the 4th of July.

23. lou czar

lou czar Member

Sep 26, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were also begging for the kids. "Let them play" HDC will be featured on primetime NBC. So I think there was probably a trade involved, use the Staples center/X Games and LA Galaxy. Meaning we may have gotten 0 for the promotion. Other lowlight, for filming, they had to cover our pretty electro sign boards.

24. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course this season these have been mildly more enjoyable than some (most?) of our team's displays.

25. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I could not drink enough beer at halftime to dull the pain of this horrible hafltime infomercial.

I was disappointed to think that our wonderful GM Alexi did not get to see it in person, but did take solace in the fact that the crowd there to witness it was fairly small and did include a whole section of in-denial Earthquake fans.