Arena: Conrad likely will replace Pope

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Nermalthecat, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Nermalthecat

Nermalthecat Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Not a huge shock, but he just said that on the WC show between games on ESPN2. Glad we won't see Beerholder. Conrad did well against ITA in a tough spot.

The only question then is whether this requires Lewis to play left back again, as a left side of Boca and Conrad would be awfully slow.

2. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Guys, Bocanegra is not slow.

3. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Exactly...people get the impression that he's slow because he's a big, kinda goofy-looking white guy but the dude played WR for his high school football team and got lower-division scholarship offers to play in college (decided to play D1 soccer instead obviously), he has wheels.

Conrad has passable speed too...remember that he originally broke into an MLS starting lineup as a RB.

4. macheath

macheath New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    DC
    Would still rather see Boca in the center than Conrad, and give Lewis another shot outside, or play three in the back and jam up the midfield. Ghana has been playing very direct down the center, with very strong mid attackers. With no Pablo, hard to see who plays the defensive mid in a way that can slow Essien down. We're going to be vulnerable right down the center.

5. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would also assume that Gooch is moving to the right side.

6. ::::::

:::::: Guest

A ghost fart couple replace Pope

7. Jumbo

Jumbo New Member

May 28, 2006
    Based on this news, and the fact that we're hearing that JOB might not be ready to go, it's starting to look like we'll see this lineup:

---------------|Keller|-------------
    ----Dolo--Conrad----Onyewu--Bocanegra---
    -----------------Reyna---------
    -----Dempsey--------------Beasley---
    ----------------Donovan-------------
    -------------BMB--------EJ-----------

The Convey fans/DMB bashers can flip the two, I suppose, but I have a feeling that Arena will (correctly) go back to DMB. Either way, I don't see a lot of other options besides this one, unless JOB can play.

8. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm not sure why you say that-- I've watched a few of his premiership matches and he certainly looked slow in comparison to the forwards who were frequently blowing by him. I can't remember now who the forwards were but I do remember a couple of them were having a field day against him. It was pretty embarrassing for Boca. But maybe I just caught his slow days...

9. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Jumbo, only thing that worries me there is relying on Reyna as a lone d-mid to contain Essien and Appiah...I'd go with the same personnel (except Convey instead of DMB) but in a 3-5-2 with Dolo playing RW and Dempsey playing more centrally and assisting Reyna defensively when needed.

10. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see no reason why Convey doesn't get the nod over DMB considering Beasley, despite a flash or two against Italy, still hasn't done enough to earn his spot back. I really like the above lineup, but think Convey will likely start on the left over DMB.

11. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dare I say his name? Ben Olsen. *cringes at the impending attacks*

12. Jumbo

Jumbo New Member

May 28, 2006
    Fair point, which is why I think Beasley is back in there, shading more toward the middle and allowing Dempsey and Dolo to attack more from the right.

13. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will be playing either a 4-5-1 or a 4-1-4-1. Right now I'm sticking with a 4-5-1 with 2 defensive midfielders(Olsen and Reyna), two wings(Convey and Dempsey) and Donovan as A-Mid. Striker will be either McBride or Johnson and if it is McBride expect Johnson to sub him out at the half.

14. Jumbo

Jumbo New Member

May 28, 2006
    I guess I don't see what Convey has done to deserve a third straight start. I've not been impressed with his crosses, his runs have been predictable, and he flubbed a couple of clear shooting opportunities last game. Considering that Beasley is a) much faster and b) much better defensively, I think the improvement we saw in Game 2 out of Beasley is enough to warrant the switch. Plus, as I said in another post, I can see Beasley shading back and toward the middle, helping to make up for Mastro's absence and allowing Dempsey/Dolo to get upfield.

15. VBSoccerFan

VBSoccerFan New Member

May 2, 2006
    Virginia Beach
    I'm a fan of Olsen from his UVA days, but he was really bad against Venezuela. I cringe at the thought of him trying to deal with Ghana's midfield. I first thought he had played well against Vene, but when I watched it again and played closer attention, it was really obvious he was the worst player on the field for us, by a wide margin.

16. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to go with 3 in the back since GHA has essentially no forwards and their main threats are from the midfield.

------------Keller

Cheru-------Gooch------Boca

-------Reyna-------Olsen

Dempsey-------------------Lewis (for defense)

--------------Donovan

---------McBride--------EJ

17. adamu7777

adamu7777 New Member

Aug 1, 2005
    North Carolina
    based on the style of attack exhibited by ghana in their first two matches, i think we would be best served by boca in the center and lewis at left back. it'll never happen though.

18. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    With this announcement, I could see a 3-5-2 like this (maybe):

-----McBride-----Johnson
    ----------Donovan
    Convey----------------Dolo
    --------Reyna---Dempsey
    ---Boca----Gooch---Conrad

Also, Dolo pinched up into the middle a lot to help Reyna against Italy, perhaps you could even switch he and Clint.

Olsen's a possibility there as well, but I hate thinking of that. Either way we need someone to partner Reyna in the middle -- we shouldn't concede that part of the field to them...

19. CaliManU

CaliManU New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Is JOB injured or something? Why would Olsen start at CM over JOB?

20. adamu7777

adamu7777 New Member

Aug 1, 2005
    North Carolina
    i heard wynalda running over at the mouth this morning about how bruce needs to go with a defensive minded line-up again to start this game and then look to bring in some firepower later in the game.

i'd like to get some thoughts on that statement.

personally, i don't think that served us particularly well against the czchs or against italy's early set piece. we need to strike first and i'd like to see EJ up top at the opening whistle. everyone on BS seemed to agree about a month ago that getting an early strike was CRUCIAL to our success in this cup, but now no one seems to be troubled by our defensive minded early play.

21. Kilmer17

Kilmer17 Member

Mar 29, 2001
    I think we need to play like we need to score 5 as the only way to get through.

Keller
    Dolo, Gooch, Boca
    Donovan, Reyna, JOB, Convey
    BMB, EJ, Wolff.

I'd rather lose 3-0 than win 1-0 and go home bc of goal diff.

22. Nermalthecat

Nermalthecat Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Avon, CT
    He is slow relative to standard World Cup-level outside fullbacks, which is where he is playing.

23. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    keller
    dolo, Gooch, Conrad, Boca
    Dempsey, LD, Reyna, Convey
    McHead, Johnson

I try to jump on these guys fast, get a lead and then try to counter them when they inevitably go all out looking to equalize -- since they have to win as well.

DMB is actually a better fit in this type of match than Convey.....when he's in form, which unfortunately, he is not.

So Convey starts. I think Mastro's a big loss in this one, much more so than Pope. But so what.....it's a must win and it probably won't matter much if the whole squad comes out as focused as they were vs. Italy.

It doesn't matter how you get there.....as long as you get there. In the words of Al Davis.....just win baby.......;)

24. JRNoblin

JRNoblin Member

Jun 29, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    If we're playing 3 in the back, Lewis won't be one of them. Or we may have 4 in the back but with Bocanegra at left back. In either event, Lewis becomes a legit candidate to start at left mid instead of Convey or DMB.

25. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree.

Boca does well against teams who build up their attack rather than use speed.

However, Boca played very well against Italy. Bruce tends to give players changes based upon on recent play.

Also, although I like Lewis, he didn't play well against CR. Look for him to come in later in the game (if needed)...