Is Kasey Keller out?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dogmatagram, Jun 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dogmatagram

Dogmatagram Member

Jun 3, 2006
    Did I just hear this wrong, in the KK podcast, or did he just acknowledge that he may be out due to injury? Anyone know whether this was recorded after the Angola match, in which he was replaced?

2. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    Timmeeey!!!!! :eek: :D :eek:

3. redtyre

redtyre New Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Nothing yet at USSoccer.com ; they provide rather timely updates on events including injuries.

4. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    link to the podcast?

5. Dogmatagram

Dogmatagram Member

Jun 3, 2006
    It's up at ussoccer.com. Very odd -- about 1/3 of the way through, a reporter asks whether he actually thinks he can start in the first game, as "there's been some talk of injury." He pauses, and then says he isn't in a position to choose the team.

He was reportedly replaced by Howard in today's match.

During the remainder of the press conference there is no reference to this and he seems upbeat. Odd, and disturbing.

6. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    I can't find anything labled "Kasey Keller" in the podcasts or the updates from Germany.. What was the video/audio called?

7. Sion

Sion New Member

Jun 5, 2002
  8. Cruiseman

Cruiseman Member

Feb 28, 2005
    Cotati, CA
    I'm listening now.. http://podcast.ussoccer.com/june5_kasey_keller.mp3 A british woman asked if he would play in the first match as there was talk of some injury <sic>

He hesitated and replied "Well..........I dunno....i'm..uh..not picking the team. I'm not uh in a position to pick the team. If chosen I'm going to the best that I possibly can".

Still listening.... that's all i have so far. ugh..the butterflies just multiplied by tenfold.

9. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Deja 2002. Where the ******** is Friedel? Howard scares me. I'd prefer Hahneman.

10. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
  11. Nermalthecat

Nermalthecat Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Avon, CT
    In listening to today's podcast on ussoccer.com, there is a question to KK along the lines of "Do you think you will be able to play the first game? There's been some talk of an injury." and he replies something like "Well, I don't select the starting lineup, but if I'm chosen to play, I'll do my best to help the team win."

That's an awfully weird question and response if there's nothing to it, but obviously at this point, we only have that and speculation...

12. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    If he is injured, why is Tim Howard the automatic #2? He hardly played last year and the year before that he was attrocious. However, Marcus has played very well the past two years. It makes no sense that Bruce didn't give Marcus equal time with Tim in the friendlies. I'd feel much more comfortable with Marcus back there than Tim. He'd be a nervous wreck back there.

13. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -&gt; UIUC
    Ruh-roh.

Howard isn't much of a step down from Keller though, as long as he doesn't drop the ball. Which I could see happening.

14. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    R-E-L-A-X!

Keller hesitated to answer the question because he didn't want to look like an a$$ and assume he was going to start.

Being the pro that he is - he left that proclimation to the person who makes the call - Bruce Arena.

I didn't get a hint of injury issues - and if you listen to the whole thing they keep talking about how great it is for him to be where he is . . . with a wink and a nod to him starting for the US in less than a week.

He's not injured.

15. Dogmatagram

Dogmatagram Member

Jun 3, 2006
    I'm concerned that we now know the reason that he was reportedly replaced i today's match with Angola (by Howard).

16. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    The strange thing is that if there was talk of injury, why didn't we know a thing at Big Soccer before that reporter...? ;)
    I sure hope it's nothing.. That would suck for him bigtime after all these years to get an injury at the last moment ..:(

17. Nermalthecat

Nermalthecat Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Look, I don't want to get into a speculation pissing match, but this is the same guy who has been given the undisputed No. 1 shirt for the past three years and made comments last week about "the starters maybe need to look over their shoulders" in talking about the field players. I don't think he suddenly decided he needed to look like a team player and delivered an intentionally awkward answer to a question about an injury.

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Shit like this is why I'm a World Cup drunk.

19. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Angola match was played around 5pm local time. By the time, the players got back to the hotel, it was probably 8pm. I doubt Keller sat down for a group media interview at that time. Therefore, the interview was probably done in the afternoon before the match. Since Keller played some of the match, it must not have been that big of a deal. Perhaps it was just a small knock of some sort and Bruce just wanted to give Keller a chance to rest the knock.

20. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Everyone get a good night's sleep- we'll know much more tomorrow.

21. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things.

First, he is not injured. The interview was before the match and he played in part of the match as did Howard.

Second, Dogmatagram's posts are intentionally obfuscatory -- I'm not sure why.

Third -- this thread is silly.
    Wait, three things.

Listen to the podcast -- he ain't injured.

22. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Because Bruce Arena says so.

23. Dogmatagram

Dogmatagram Member

Jun 3, 2006
    It was a weird Q&A -- he clearly implies there is something going on. And he was reportedly replaced by Howard in today's match. It could be mind games meant for CR consumption, and I hope so, but that seems a bit squirrely. Who knows, but if we just lost (or impaired) our KEEPER in a pre-WC scrimmage I'll be pissed.

24. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    If we were Italians we would be saying the reporter was a plant and part of a conspiracy and there is no talk of injury and it's simply a ploy to get the other teams thinking about it..:)

Edit: I did not see the post above mine before I posted this..:D

25. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are you just trying to get attention or is this supposed to be funny. I don't get it -- and repeatedly bumping your own thread is kinda sad.

He did not in any way imply that something was going on. Apparently you elected to infer this to perpetuate this silly thread.

Here is Kasey yesterday:

[​IMG]

He ain't hurt.