CONCACAF Champions League Format?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by MasterShake29, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As many have read, it came out in TeleFutura's television announcement that there will be a "CONCACAF Champions' League" in 2007.

Note that there's still no announcement on the CONCACAF website, which I suppose is not a surprise.

I can't imagine that they'd go with a 32 team group stage, 16 seems more likely.

I would hope for 2 time slots each day, 7:45 (7:30 pre-game) and 10:00 (9:45 pre-game). That would be 4 matches each week for 6 weeks (assuming home and away group stage), for 24 matches. Then the standard two leg format for the quarterfinals and semifinals, and hopefully a one game final.

I like the July 18th start date for MLS, that should work well for them. It should also be after the Copa Libertadores is over, correct? That would free up all Mexican teams to participate.

2. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    a concacaf champions league? or a tourny with clubs on the MLS and MFL only??? wow that's very interesting, we really have smart people in the confed. :D

3. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is something Garber,Univision and the Mexican Federation were working on. Their was an article a couple months ago that announced a possible tournament starting in 2007.

4. Titan 7

Titan 7 Member

Feb 17, 2003
    Tres Rios, CR
    I can´t imagine the cheap tricks Concacaf has against the costarrican and central american teams, once again.

5. Medeiros

Medeiros Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Pawtucket, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope its not just MLS and MFL, the Costa Rican teams and so on all have to be in their for it to be a true "champions league"

6. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    If Central America and the Caribbean are excluded, it shouldn't be called CONCACAF, but North American Champion's Cup.

7. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    If this is not an official cup from concacrap then its notthing more than a stupid friendly cup.. and a waste of time and friendly cups dont count as real international championships......

If anything it should be given its blessing from concacrap to be the official concacrap champions cup.....maybe telefutura can do a way better job than what idiot warner and fat so blazer could not do for many years.... make the club cup of the confederation a serious torney.....

8. Ronaldinho11

Ronaldinho11 Red Card

Jul 28, 2003
    San Pedro Sula
    Club:
    CD Olimpia
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Seriously.. they have to include the best teams from ALL countries.. like top 2 in the league or something, just like ECL, it cant just be top mexican/american teams.... that wont go anywhere.

9. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
  10. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
  11. If this is really true, it will be one of the best things to ever happen to MLS. The opportunity to play high-stakes games against the best clubs in the region will only serve to make the league better. The decision to hold the tournament from July until November will improve MLS chances in the tournament. No more "pre-season fitness" excuses. MLS clubs need to add these games to their season ticket packages to draw crowds. It will look really bad on TV if only a few thousand show up. I would LOVE to see DC United play Club America in front of 20,000 at RFK! I do agree, however, with several of the posters here. As much as I love MLS, Costan Rican clubs have proven themselves more than MLS clubs in recent times. I am assuming that the breakdown of the 16 clubs, if done fairly, will look something like this:

top four Mexican clubs

top two Costa Rican clubs with third place going into a playoff

top two MLS clubs with third place going into a playoff (three places determined by Supporters' Shield finish, not MLS Cup playoff finish!)

Who would the other clubs be? I don't know enough about CONCACAF club soccer to comment further. Help me out.

12. When did this announcement come out?

Will it be a one or two-leg final?

13. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    got this from the mls boards, from soccerTV.com

time to see what mls is made of, since they'll be playing pre-season teams deep, deep into their respective season.

14. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Univision Communications has reached agreements with Soccer United Marketing (SUM) to air 3 products marketed by SUM starting with the 2007 season on the Spanish-language TV network TeleFutura:

1. US Major League Soccer (MLS): 25 matches each season including the MLS All-Star game and the Final, usually on Sundays at 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific.

2. The Mexican InterLiga: exclusive coverage of all matches each January, featuring 8 Mexican League teams fighting for 2 spots in Copa Libertadores, South America's premier club competition.

3. CONCACAF Champions League: exclusive coverage on Tuesday and Wednesday nights in July through November, featuring a combination of teams from the Mexican League, MLS, Central America, and the Caribbean, with the winner advancing to the FIFA Club World Championship in December.

Formerly known as the CONCACAF Champions Cup (Copa de Campeones), the 2007 CONCACAF Champions League will feature a group stage prior to the elimination rounds.

TeleFutura replaces FOX Sports en Espanol as the exclusive US TV outlet for the Mexican InterLiga and the CONCACAF Champions League.

TeleFutura reaches about 50 million US TV households via a combination of broadcast TV stations, cable, and satellite.

Fear not my little central american friends you will get your oportunity to get your asses kicked too. Lets see how well you do against in season MLS sides.

15. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an AMAZING develoment. This means this replaces the CONCACAF Cup with a ligitimate champions league, something we have all wanted. It also means some real money is involved with this TV money.

Thank the lord.

16. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    don't worry, a mexican side will still win. they've massacred in season/in form mls sides during their pre season before, and im sure it'll happen agian

17. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    good.... finally they read this boards and changed the format :D
    I hope they don't have the idea of making all the games in the US, home/away games please! 16 teams, 4 groups of 4 teams, 8 on the second round (K.O.), one final game in Paris :)

18. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Yep, excuse time is finally over for MLS fans...

19. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    will all the games be played in the U.S.? if so this tourney is crap. every single tourney is played home and away. CCC, Copa Sudamericana, Copa Libertadores, UEFA Champion league

20. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    this is just mls people looking at the CCC and seeing

mexico 22 titles
    costa rica 6 titles
    el salvador 3 titles

u.s. 2 titles.... and being pissed and wanting to start over with a new tourney and calling it the "Champions League" ooohh aaaah ;)

21. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is only 10 years old and CCC is how old?

There are some serious money to fight for. $1 million to the winner guarenteed by FIFA's World Club Cup tournament + prize money that CONCACAF will give.

Let's assume it's $1.25 mil to the winner.

22. CHELEGOL

CHELEGOL New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    I think group stages will be a great for the tournament, but i'm not sure that more than 8 teams is a good idea, I think for now 8 teams is more than enough.
    Lets pretend this past tournament was group stage it would had been something like this.

Group A
    Toluca
    Saprisa
    La Galaxy
    Olimpia

Group B
    Ne Revolution
    Alajuela
    America
    Caribbean team (sorry i forgot the name)

23. billyboy23

billyboy23 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    i think it should be at least 16 teams. 5 mexican, 3 costa rican, 3 mls, 5 from the rest of central america and the caribbean

24. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

hahahaha jared..

Do you ever pause and let your brain work for a second??

Ya we are pissed because we only have 2 CCC titles even though our league has participated in the tournament 9 times. Darn we were only able to nab 2 titles before CCC changed to their Late Winter format.

MLS teams in "astleast" summer mode will be x2 more competitive than in preseason. It's ********ing common sense to know that.

I don't understand why our League is still being looked down upon. It spent its first couple of years just trying to survive. Did people really expect it to be THE LEAGUE for the Americas by now?? The fact the league manages to put a competitive product with less than 2million in salaries is amazing to me.

MLS CCC results don't reflect one bit how bad/good the league is. If that was the case then you can make a argument how overated and bad Saprissa is.They got dominated in 3 halves vs the worst team in the MLS. It took them a dive to finally beat them.

Which is why our Confederation needs a REAL CLUB TOURNAMENT. It will only make everyones leagues stronger.

25. chololo

chololo Member

Jan 7, 2006
    san bernardino
    late late july i think i cant wait to see a galaxy vs the real chivas in guadalajara would Landon Donovan show up???