Vote for Colors

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Z010 Union, May 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please pick from the most mentioned color schemes for the MLS club

The potential owners have asked for assistance in focusing the discussion of colors and names. Findings from this poll and it's companion will be forwarded in presentation style for their consideration.

If you vote Other, please post your choice

2. Frame

Frame Member

Nov 25, 2003
    NYC
    Who is Rowan??? What is Rowan?? Where is Rowan? What kind of club is it (mens-only, nudist, senior citizens or what)?

3. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    Maroon with orange trim, a la Roma. Maroon with sky blue would be my second choice, reminiscent of the 70's - 80's era Phillies. I'd also prefer an nongeographical name like Independance FC or Ben Franklin FC with a kite shaped badge.

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bryan is using the short-form of the Philly MLS team that will be playing on Rowan Univesity campus in Glassboro, NJ.

And I will also add that this thread will be heavily moderated, keep to the subject of Colors only. Debate the other details on another thread. Thank you.

5. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maroon and sky blue. I've loved that combination for a number of years now. Neither hue of maroon nor sky blue exist in MLS as of yet. The other thing going for this scheme is that it already has an established identity connection with Philadelphia via the Phillies.

6. DrexelSoccerFan

DrexelSoccerFan New Member

May 17, 2006
    Philadelphia
    I voted Sky blue and yellow. It's the colors of philadelphia from our city flag. Maroon and sky blue wouldn't be bad either.

7. mdelrossi1

mdelrossi1 Member

Jul 29, 2005
    Center City Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed although Id steer clear of maroon and sky blue...get this team its own identity in this area.

8. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    i went maroon-sky: has some soccer history, has a philadelphia connection, and isn't in any other MLS team.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. nthemsum

nthemsum Member

Jan 14, 2006
    boise,id
    maroon and skyblue vertical stripes like barcelona for home kit-solid maroon for an away kit with three skyblue stripes going from the arm to the neck on both sides.

11. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    I agree with whoever said we should try to forge our own identity and stay away from Phillies colors. That and if we have a Barca shirt I will drive right up to RedBull headquarters and buy a season ticket...or at least that's how I feel at this moment.

I voted for the blue-yellow combo. I like the way it brings in both states, and its not red (though there's lots of blue in the league as well).

12. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really wouldn't worry about it in that way since the Phillies haven't had those colors in quite a while now.

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if we eliminated existing Philly major league colors, that would be
    Green & White (NFL)
    Red and White (MLB)
    Red and Black (NBA)
    Orange, Black & White (NHL)

Am I missing any?

14. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd add Silver, and even black to the Eagles list.
    I've always considered the Sixers a Red, White, and Blue team.
    Add Blue for the Phillies as well.

Also, from an MLS identity standpoint, we've said many times that red is right out. (A "better dead than red" chant anyone?).

15. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to rehash a point I made in the Toronto Unveiling Thread. While it seems that we have a ton of red teams here are the numbers

In the Prem there are 6 teams with red, 8 with blue. That is 70% of the league in variations of two colors.

In the NFL there are 11 teams with navy, 2 in teal and 2 in blue and 3 red and 2 reddish maroon. That is 63% of the league in variations of two colors.

In MLS 8 of 13 teams have red or blue variations. That is 62%

16. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good number breakdown. But two teams have red as primary shirt colors (NYRB, and Chicago), two have red stripes as primary shirts (FCD, and CUSA), and another team is kinda red-ambiguous (RSL-their red seems to change). 5/13 is 38%. And the numbers don't matter if the perception is already there.

Can't really compare too much to the EPL, because those shirts were essentially designed 100 years ago, when all they could do was have variations of red, blue, and green due to limitations of textile technology. That's why some teams are just red, some are red with white sleeves, etc. They weren't designing it for the marketing aspect, but just to incorporate whatever iteration they could to be different.

A Philadelphia MLS team shouldn't be limited by the basic colors. I'd like to see something forge a new path. Kinda like the San Jose Sharks did with hockey (and the entire teal craze of the 90's).

17. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree with your EPL color reasoning for the same reason I disagree with the logic that every team name United seeks to copy off of Man Utd and that it means there were at least two clubs United. When Arsenal started in Highbury they wore a deep red shirt and didn't change until proper red until later in their history - the white sleeves were added even later as the club thought that sleeveless sweaters looked great over white polo shirts - thus the "Arsenal Look" was born.

If anyone needs a rehash of how Manchester wasn't really united by United and how they chose their name go to the mufc.com

18. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God no! Look how silly the Sharks look now wearing a girls color. The biggest issue, for me, with fad colors is that we finally got rid of them - allow your mind to recreate the 1996 palette of the league when they thought fad colors like juniper and sage green would help move merchandise.

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Focus guys, lets not debate if Teal sucks or not. Post what colors you like and why and then move on.

Thank you.

20. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said a new path. Not the same path. Keep in mind that SJ kept fiddling with their teal, and they do indeed have a girls color (not that there's anything wrong with that), but the original SJ teal was actually decent. Not that I'd want it for soccer, or Philadelphia. I was hoping that sky blue/yellow would kind of do that for MLS colors.

Edit: Sorry Prime. But at least I got back to my pont of sky blue/yellow on this one.:D

21. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maroon and Sky Blue. Wow. I didn't expect so much response to that color scheme. My Green team is falling behind, although it still stands a sporting chance in the 3rd spot...

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far it looks like its a fight between these two color schemes:
    [​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

23. Lobezno1

Lobezno1 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted for Sky blue and Yellow, my #2 choice would be the maroon and the sky blue.

It's cool to know that the powers that be are asking for this input from the supporters already. Good way to start things off.

24. Leon_St_Spurs

Leon_St_Spurs New Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Phila
    I am really liken the sky blue and yellow combination. Its a very good natural combination and it does tie into the area.

25. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please remember to log in to vote. 75% of Navy and Burgundy votes are anonymous.