Why is MLS promoting Goal, the movie?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Sandon Mibut, May 12, 2006.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So, the other day I got an e-mail from MLS (presumably my address was given to them by my ticket rep) pimping the new soccer movie Goal.

I am very curious why MLS is aligning itself with a movie that is about:

A) A kid who was of Premiership quality that was missed by all the MLS scouts and coaches despite playing and living in an MLS market, thus pointing out, indrectly, how poorly MLS scouts, particularly the Latino markets.

B) Goes and signs for big money abroad, despite MLS saying their goal is to get all the US talent to stay home. (I know it doesn't and never will happen, but Garber said it again this week.)

C) Is about a player who, despite living in the US - and maybe being born here; I haven't seen the movie so I don't know - chooses to play for Mexico over the US, another image that doesn't exactly speak well of American soccer.

So, I'm curious what MLS gets out of this in terms of it's image because I don't see this movie at all saying anything positive about MLS - again, I haven't seen it so I don't know for sure, but it damn sure doesn't appear to on the surface.

Again, very curious to see MLS promoting this movie.

2. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a similar thought, but in the end, you're looking at it from a very knowledgable fan's perspective. The hope is that the average moviegoer will like the film and possibly think about checking out an MLS game.

3. dkrboys

dkrboys New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Simi Valley, CA
    I'm with you......I was kinda curious about these issues too. I guess we'd have to see the movie first to make a better observation. You had some great thoughts & very well written!!

4. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004

because it's about soccer. And they need all the attention they can get. It's a pretty good movie but it will go away quickly in the states, it think. And the other two parts won't ever get released here. That's my prediction.

5. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ADIDAS...

The movie is a feature-length add for Adidas who gives MLS mucho dinero.

There are numerous scenes in the movie early on in L.A. where MLS is mentioned in positive light. There's even some MLS jerseys and an MLS logo prominently displayed a couple of times.

Plus, anything that promotes soccer in the USA is good for MLS, in the long run.

BTW, the player is an illegal in the US so I don't think he would be eligible for the national team.

6. upperninety

upperninety New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    Well because in America people don't like soccer and the MLS is not making the money that it should so by promoting "Goal" the movie they are essentially promoting the MLS. If people see this movie and think wow what a great story then maybe it will draw attention to the MLS.

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    THanks for the info.

I didn't realize any of that, particularly about the adidas product placement in the movie, which would explain a lot.

8. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
  9. chitrader

chitrader BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2002
    Hell-Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Wrong interpretation of the movie, the kid simply isn't good enough for MLS so they ship him off to that lesser league in England.:D

11. OutKast3000

OutKast3000 New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Newcastle is promoted as "a big club" "a very big club".......it is a rags to riches type of story. Simply stated that NUFC is perceived to be and is a much higher achievement than a MLS club.

12. Granitza78

Granitza78 Member

Aug 13, 2003
    So. Fla
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He plays for Mayhico.

FFFF this flick!!!!

13. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    *sigh*

Is there no humor left on these boards?

Ok
    MLS likes to make money. Movie pays MLS to advertise it. MLS advertises it. MLS makes money.

14. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume the movie distributors are paying for ads at MLS stadiums, web sites etc.

In other words, the answer to "why" MLS is promoting the movie is the same reason that MLS does most things it does:

$$$$$$$$

15. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a movie about soccer that is getting great press as compared to the lame Game of Their Lives. I support MLS putting themselves behind a quality flick about the sport.

16. casadomecq

casadomecq New Member

May 29, 2005
    El Paso
    Club:
    CF Indios de Ciudad Juárez
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C) Is about a player who, despite living in the US - and maybe being born here; I haven't seen the movie so I don't know - chooses to play for Mexico over the US, another image that doesn't exactly speak well of American soccer.

In the movie, someone asks Santiago either about his playing days in Mexico or what part of Mexico he is from, and he clearly states he is from Los Angeles, not Mexico. Since this is a trilogy, with the climax at the world cup, I wonder which country he will represent.

17. Airblair

Airblair Member

Dec 8, 1999
    Redwood City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I blame Trecker.

Seriously, though, I was reading Roger Ebert's review and one of the plot points is that the main character has to fly to London via Mexico City because he doesn't have a passport. So the illegal immigrant thing figures into the plot.

18. NYCONEONTA

NYCONEONTA New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    New York
    I saw a bootleg copy of it and it was a good movie with good soccer and good story. Now go see it and support soccer in whatever way shape or form they throw it at us!

19. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I heard Argentina. Mexico and USA are both NIKE countries......

20. NYCONEONTA

NYCONEONTA New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    New York
    Santiago is going to represent Argentina in the world cup. Allen hopkins who is a producer on the movie said things happen in the movie with immigration and he ends up representing Argentina, but he wouldnt elaborate. if i find the interview i will post it.

21. j66j66

j66j66 Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dunord posted this chat with Allen Hopkins the other day (FSC announcer, and associate producer of the trilogy), and he said that Santiago plays for the Argentines in the third movie, and that the immigration subplot figures highly.

btw, when did Hopkins go to ESPN? what games is he doing? i didn't hear a peep about this before reading the chat... has the Stoner/Waldorf/Celo/D'oh!Brien fortress finally been breached? oh god, please say yes.

22. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Argentina is an ADIDAS country.

23. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard that in the third film Santiago finally gets to Buenos Aires, where Maradona bites off his middle finger, maniacally yells "The Finger of God", and falls into a volcano.

24. NYCONEONTA

NYCONEONTA New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    New York
    In part four Maradona returns to life and joins the cuban national team

25. Three Rivers

Three Rivers Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team: