Conrad and The Chinger!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ursula, May 2, 2006.

1. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
  2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I'm a fan of both - way to go Conrad!

3. storming06

storming06 Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    no taylor is a HUGE suprise

4. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I've been pimping Ching in other threads even after the "roster leak"

He is the closest thing we have to McBride. With Arena going with a 4-5-1 we simply could not afford not to have a McBride knock-off and Ching is it. Congrats to him.

5. Pygmalion

Pygmalion New Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Bay View, WI
    Really happy to see Conrad going. Plus we get his inside take on things. Congratulations to Jimmy!

6. blue32828

blue32828 New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    orlando
    Ching won't play a minute in this WC.

7. plorish

plorish Member

Dec 12, 2005
    this has to be one of those "you don't take the best 23 players. Some guys are good locker room guys" type of deals. Are we sure conrad is one of the 23 and not filming a reality show for ESPN on being at the world cup?

8. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    geez i really did not expect Ching to make the roster . He has been playing pretty well in the MLS , but geez . I was iffy about Conrad , I just dont think he is experienced enough . Boca will play before he does .

9. Joel Kennedy

Joel Kennedy New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    ATL
    i have to conclude the relative size of ching to tt won him the spot.

10. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ching? :( Sure hope nothing happens to McB.

11. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can only hope ...

12. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I agree although I expect him to possibly play the fewest minutes of any field player.

13. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    Conrad's merely been the best MLS defender the last two years, and played well in the run-up games except for the Germany debacle. He will not likely see time in the WC, but I will feel confortable if he does. Good on set pieces, total team player, etc. Not that versatile, but you can't have everything.

14. doogiemo

doogiemo Member

Aug 11, 2005
    ohh USA, USA USA USA
    got that right!!

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Two target strikers, one support striker, one tweener.

As predicted.

Conor Casey is an alternate. So is TT.

16. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is Frankie a backup for both outside backs?It sounded that way to me.

Don't know as I like that....

17. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I am surprised too. Obviously. Arena wants another target man who is good in the air to back-up McBride, who has been tiring noticeably the last 15 minutes or so of Fulham's games. His MLS form has obviously helped.

Conrad......seems to be in good form for KC. Maybe Bruce thought most of the collapse against Germany was due to Berhalter who has been so-so this year for Cottbus.

18. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Wow. I can't believe you'd announce a leaked roster and then we find out that it's fake. Thanks a lot. The guy who did it, though he meant well for us fans, is about as trustworthy as Marcelo Balboa is an authority on who is going to Germany. Nonetheless, he is awesome, but for you I have nothing more than mild, temporary anger. Damn.

I really thought TT made the squad. It would have been much better than Ching, IMHO. Ching's play is incredibly hot right now, but Twellman has produced on the Nats scene moreso (even Norway and Japan aside because those were fairly BS games) and I feel even more-so than how one does in domestic competition, that should factor in. Also, Chris would have provided more versatility and speed than Jimmy. Furthermore, Albright plays a great driven ball and can swing some stuff in, but I guess we just have to hope 'Dolo stays okay. Although, I suppose Jimmy has been on a completely different level the past 2-3 years.

I know better than to question Bruce on his selections, but I'm just fairly pissed that we were all led on.

19. VOwithwater1

VOwithwater1 Red Card

Apr 23, 2006
    Replaced by an ordinary pineapple. Ching will do nothing unless he trys to mark someone and he will then let in a goal that will wind up beating us. Sad

20. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    We'll be seeing more 352 then expected.

21. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    I guess Arena had a few aces up his sleeve. Perhaps Arena was just more impressed with Ching's early play in MLS. As for Conrad, he's been with the team since the January camp and is a great locker room guy so I guess he preferred him to Albright or Berhalter.

22. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's hope that Wolff plays horribly in camp and is dropped in favor of someone with a future like Rolfe or Twellman.

23. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    i sure hope Twellman and Albright didn't believe the leak.

i'd be surprised if these (apparently) last two roster decisions have any impact at the WC finals.

i'd be even more surprised if they have a negative impact on the USMNT. i don't see them getting much playing time, and I don't see them doing poorly.

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I bet either Gibbs or Bocanegra will get dibs onto the left side before Frankie.

25. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    John O'Brien, Carlos Bocanegra, Cory Gibbs and Bobby Convey will play left back before Hejduk does.