Wahl: BA Article Outtakes on CNNSI.com

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bwach, Apr 28, 2006.

1. bwach

bwach Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Cleveland
    Some real interesting points from Grant Wahl that didn't make the SI article:

My first comment - huge appreciation for Dr. Bob. I'm so glad that US Soccer has a guy that gets it like so few in any American sports do. You cannot cave to media pressure and you must ensure a stable, team oriented environment. Maybe Dr. Bob can pay a visit to Isaiah Thomas?

Along with the above - how great would it be if BA stuck around for 2010. I'd honestly consider the US a favorite to win the cup in 2010 if that occurred. BA leaves open the possibility and everyone else seems to be on board. Starting to sound like Nicol would be BAs successor if he departed soon.

The article gives a little more credence to the Meola over Hanneman thoughts. Although we don't have the potential powderkeg that Friedel/Keller were last time around. BA wishes he'd played Keller at some point in 2002. I completely disagree.

Last - a couple tactical nuggets in there as well as far as BA's assertion that the US's identity is it's defense.

That's part of the reason I'm in favor of consistency in coaching because I feel that until the US team has an identity and style of play of its own - we'll never win the cup.

2. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Arena and the US team but that's crazy talk.

3. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found Pope, who may soon start in his third straight World Cup, to be extremely insightful when it comes to team-building issues.

"The chemistry with the '98 team was awful," he explained. "A lot of people say the team was bad, but I don't think it was about guys not playing well as much as it was about team chemistry. Guys didn't agree with coaching decisions, didn't agree with people on the field, and that caused tension. So you're going through the hardest tournament in the world, and your team's not getting along? It's difficult enough, but when you have that tension within a team you're just not going to perform well."

What happened in 2002? "The team chemistry was really good, and it's even better now," Pope says. "I feel like I could pick any guy on the team and go have dinner with him or hang out with him. We genuinely like each other, and that's important."

Warm fuzzies!

I've waffled back and forth on having Pope on the team, but after reading things like this, I'd say we definitely need him in there for the leadership he provides. Sounds like he'd make a good coach himself some day.

4. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great find, and a must read. THIS is top-notch reporting.

5. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As soild of an article from Wahl if I've ever seen one.

I would like to hear more from The Bruce on France '98, Steve Sampson's dumbass tactics and the void he had to come in a and fill back in October of '98. The run from his hiring to our boys beating Mexico 2-0 in Japorea was a thrill to see unfold.

One other great point that many of us tend, Wahl does well to remind us, to forget is that even though there was the Fringes handball and red card...someone in Blue that night would have had to step up and nail that PK. McBride or Lando vs. Kahn at his best. Sanneh still shoulda equalized also.

Dale U.S.A.!!!

6. bwach

bwach Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Cleveland
    True. Funny how that part of the quote reads about Reyna and JOB. It almost sounds like Bruce thinks they would have opted out of taking the PK and a chance at glory or failure.

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    That was an absolute f##k!n great read.

8. Cornballer

Cornballer Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto. Thanks for posting the article.

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Patrick Viera got into a fight with Zlatan Ibrahimovic today in practice ... Juve will still likely win the scudetto.

Bayern isn't called FC Hollywood for nothing.

Chelsea has more loudmouths than almost any team in the world.

Terrell Owens helped take the Eagles to the Superbowl (I know he missed the play-offs).

And if Mike Burns sticks to that post....

10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

I'm 50/50 on that comment. It is amazing what winning does to team chemistry, and what losing does (remember what the Mex. coach talked about in the article how is team totally lost control).

That said, EP seems to have a future in coaching if he chooses.

11. The Wanderer2

The Wanderer2 New Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Me personally this is where I disagree with Bruce Arena. I'd rather lose 2-1 or 3-2 than lose 1-0 like we have been doing to Brazil. Either way, we're not going to beat Brazil, so I'd rather go down fighting than pack it in and pressure the whole game.

Also, this gives credence to what I've been saying a la Bruce: he's a defensive minded coach, and what he gains in defense by his player selections he loses in offense.

Me personally I think it's time for a new coach with new tactics after this WC.

12. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but I hope he stays.

13. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    And I'll bet this is where Bruce and you different. To Arena, a loss is a loss. A win is a win.

Go play your style versus Brazil and the loss won't be 4-3 or 3-2. It would be 4-1 or 4-2. We have a tough time matching them player for player in a running game. By playing under his design/philosphy, he feels he has a chance to win, not lose joga bonita (or whatever Nike is force feeding me these days). Ultimately, that is how he is judged. Style points mean nothing.

14. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...we lose 1-0 rather than 2-0.

The US had a lot of problems that day beyond the ball impropably squeezing between Burns and the post.

15. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, players don't have to be buddies to have a good team. Especially if you have massively superior talent. But a team can't not buy into their coaches philosophy and decisions AND consistently succeed.

Without great talent team cohesiveness is even more important. That's why sometimes lesser lights advance in the NCAAs and the World Cup.

16. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Probably one of the best articles on US soccer that I've ever read.

Now I've got to buy this week's SI and read the regular article.

17. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I'd like to think otherwise, we don't have the players to run at the top-tier teams.

We play to our strengths, which is why we play better than it looks like we would on paper.

18. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    A couple interesting tidbits from the article:

Obviously, Bruce sees what (love him or hate him) we all see in Hejduk. A huge card risk.

I guess Donovan hasn't seen Loc Tecnicos yet :eek:

19. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is what didn't make the article, I'm going to have to go buy my first SI in about 4 years...

20. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    ditto. what a great read!

21. tmeuz

tmeuz New Member

May 13, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Thanks for a great article.

That's 2 insightful Arena interviews in one week!

22. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. bwach

bwach Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Cleveland
    BTW - The movie Goal! that Wahl references at the end of the article is actually a pretty good flick.

I caught it on a Scandinavian Airlines flight over Christmas and outside of it feeling a little unrealistic (a kid who's never played organized ball gets a tryout with Newcastle). It's got some excellent cameos from some serious soccer dignitaries - and they don't even completely embarrass themselves.

Check out the cast list:

Brian Johnson .... Himself
    Alan Shearer .... Himself
    David Beckham .... Himself
    Raul Gonzalez .... Himself
    Zinédine Zidane .... Himself
    Milan Baros .... Himself
    Rafael Benítez .... Himself
    Titus Bramble .... Himself
    Kieron Dyer .... Himself
    Sven-Göran Eriksson .... Himself (at the party)
    Steven Gerrard .... Himself
    Jack Gustav .... Goalkeeper/Himself
    Patrick Kluivert .... Himself
    John Arne Riise .... Himself

24. footbrawl

footbrawl Member

Jul 10, 2005
    San Diego
    Kudos to Wahl. If only more American sports writers understood the beautiful game as well...

25. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i still far from convinced whether he should stay till 2010....leaning toward no....but i guess we'll see after the WC.

But a very good article...and certainly made me appreciate Bruce more than i sometimes give him credit for.... since I often only look for things that could improve.... and lose sight of some of the positives......

rep for Mr. Wahl