McBride/Eski combo {R, for NYRB v DC}

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Zeppelin, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    I think Eskandarian is back to his old form now. I was thinking we are gonna score alot of goals if those guys are paired together in Germany, is it a little too late ? i hope not.

2. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Re: McBride/Eski combo.

From the game I saw today, he was very decisive and seems to be full of confidence. It's probably too late, but I'm down for anyone but Wolff and probably now Twellman and Ching. I don't recall if he created chances for himself or his teammates, but he did do one thing and that's put them away.

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

He plays for DeeCee, so it's never too late. :)

But seriously, attackers who shine in MLS Playoffs should always
    be at the head of the queue for camp invites among unproven
    internationals. Pity that non-hackers like Twellman and Ching
    and Wolff get the invites.

4. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

Esky is a very promising young player with one extremely positive attribute: he can finish with tremendous power and accuracy with his left foot.

He needs to round of his game a little more and gain more confidence in using his right foot when needed (though he didn't need it today).

Also, he isn't very good off the dribble. Nowhere near Rolfe or even Wolff wrt creating his own space. All his goals are from speed and power and smart runs. Which is fine...he is certainly a very smart player, not just in the box, but all around the field. But creating space for himself is essential if he hopes to ever play regularly for the USMNT.

5. DGNB

DGNB New Member

Jul 28, 2005

Unfortunately, I think it is too late for Eski. He definitely would have gotten a look if he played last year. Luckily for him, he is young enough that he does have a great shot at 2010, provided he doesn't have a recurrence of his concussion issues. If he doesn't, he really has shown great form this year, and a when we won the title. If he keeps it up, he could move on to Europe because he does have a nose for the goal, he's tough, and he finishes with power. Unfortunately, I think it's just a little late. He won't have played in any of the recent international matches and i don't see Bruce picking someone who didn't attend camp in LA, or play in those matches.

6. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's a bit of an oversimplification to limit Esky's attributes to his left foot. He has something I don't think any of the forwards in the current USMNT pool do (w/the possible exceptoin of an in-form EJ): the ability to run at defenses with confidence and just the right amount of aggression. The goals he scored in the 2004 postseason illustrated this. There's something about Esky that reminds me of Clint Mathis; he's just short of recklessly confident and rips a wicked shot. Of course, there's no indication that Esky can produce at the international level like Clint did during his year or so of great form, but the seeds are there. For this WC cycle, though, it's too late.

7. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

I agree...along with being smart he is a bit reckless (you could call it bravery). He's got a low, Maradona-like center of gravity and build, and like you said, he has a wicked shot (with his left foot).

He scored so many golazos two years ago I thought he was the real deal, but he wasn't that impressive in his limited USMNT minutes.

Certainly, Esky has scored goals in MLS that probably no other USMNT player would score. He scores both the Clint Mathis type pinpoint accuracy finishes in and around the box along with the EJ or Buddle-like speed and physical based solo runs and finishes.

I think Esky has a great attitude right now and is going to have a blow up year again. He'll be back on the USMNT radar and will get another shot. It's up to him to make it count. He's got lots of competition for the young forward spot with the likes of EJ, Rolfe, Herculez, Buddle, Barrett and others all on the verge of making a big breakthrough (EJ already has of course). Esky is just another promising young forward...the question is whether he makes the next step and develops into a truely world class forward, which is what I think he'll need to do if he is going to be a regular for the USMNT.

8. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Help me out on this--when did he play for the Nats? I remember him being in some YNT games, but can't recall any appearances for the senior side.

9. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston

Really one game I can remember was mop up duty aganist Wales where all the DC United and San Jose Earthquake players had the week off in MLS and for that, were given national team caps. That's the only national tem cap he has received, and I think one more, but it was both before his breakthrough 04.

And in that game, Ryan Suarez, who got suspensed from MLS play that week for FC Dallas when he was on that team, was rewarded by Arena by being capped by the national team. Compared to what he did for Dempsey, I thought that was hypocritical of Arena to reward a player than received a red card in that match a national team cap just because he wasn't playing for his club team.

10. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston

First off, your basically dissing the MLS regular season and the difficulty it is to score in the regular season with this silly opinionated view of whose national team quality with MLS playoffs.

Second, if we use that logic, than once again I say, Pando Ramirez is better than DaMarcus Beasley , Pablo Masteroni, and others that haven't scored in the playoffs.

Back to Eskandrian, that capriciousness that he has in the box is great, its like Mathis in that unpredictability for an America, so uncommon. But sadly, his time has run out as well.

11. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006

BA said the roster hasn't been finalized yet, anything can happen and basically he is still looking for 5 more right players to complete his dream team roster so, obviously it isn't too late for anyone including Eskandarian ( and Conor Casey for that matter ).

12. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston

I'm sorry, i wish Esky was going to be on the team, but we have to think with our minds instead of our hearts. It's not happening.

13. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston
    If someone could get any picture of Eskandrian spitting out the Red Bulls please, that was just sensational I think, he beat Dempsey to the punch.

14. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If everyone stays healthy, no way Esky makes it...lets hope for 2010. If Esky has a chance, then so does Meola...and he has no chance.

15. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
  16. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    [​IMG]

17. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston
  18. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    but since he is an iranian american, i don't know if that will happen because politic will get in the way here.....unless if Iran surrendering it's nuclear experiment.

19. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Esky is a fool. We all do foolish things every now and then, so I wonder if this is normal type of behavior or not.

Entertaining it was. But I expect MLS to hand down some discipline for excessive celebration. The spitting part was provocative and were it not for NYRB being so passive, it would have caused a bench clearing brawl against many other teams. Try that in Europe or South America and all hell would have broken loose. It also sends a bad message to all MLS sponsors that their their products are liable to be disrespected. So I think the league will act as a sign of support to all league sponsors. Who knows what the next wise guy will spit out - Sierra Mist? Bud Light?

20. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm following up my own post from a few hours ago.

It now seems likely that the gamesmanship/humor or drinking and spitting out Red Bull beverage was a pre-planned team event, and Esky had to do it because he scored the first goal. If that is the case then all I can say is that it was ill-advised and should be investigated by the league's discipline committee, and if I was RB, I would file a complaint with the league.

21. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    oh Geez- based on what? Trying to be funny?It WAS funny. Did not like it? Turn your head.

22. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm surprised it took this long for a thread to pop up. I would've thought an Eski for the WC thread would've been 100 posts long before he was done spitting his red bull.

23. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

and if RB is so damn pissed that they should file a complaint, Garber should tell 'em to play better defense next time. it's their own damn fault Eski scores on them everytime. if it bothers RB, defend the guy or shut up.

24. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm all for the BMB/Eski combo....

Say in the WC, BMB needs a drink..Eski throws him the water bottle...he seems to be into that...

Oh, on the field, you mean? hell no!... for that matter, what's the difference between trying Eski and/or say, Kenny Cooper? Other than one scoring vs. a very poor Metro/RB defense and another who's played relatively well all games, vs. a tad higher competition, especially this weekend?

25. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't follow you. I did not say it was not funny, I said it was entertaining.

The issues I raised had to do with disrespecting an official league sponsor, and provoking possible retaliation.