Paul Clapson in the Faroe Islands

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    This is a little dicey as I think he is probably not a Yank, but I figured I'd post here in case anyone had some information on the guy.

Paul Clapson is a goalkeeper with KÍ Klaksvik in the Faroes:
    http://www.ki-klaksvik.fo/publish.dps?s=3

He was born in 1983 in England. However, he did move to the States with his family in, I'm guessing, 1997 or 1998, and was a standout player (and American football kicker) in Florida:
    http://www.sptimes.com/News/011401/Pasco/Clapson_brings_aggres.shtml

Looks like he subsequently played at Georgia Perimter College:
    http://www.gpc.edu/~athletic/Men's%20Soccer/2002%20News%20Archive.html

Here's an amusing story about his start on the gridiron:

Paul Clapson made his American football debut a successful one, despite a scary start. Three plays into the game, Clapson was back to punt from the River Ridge 26 when the snap sailed over his head and into the end zone. He raced back to grab the punt and barely got away a kick that gave the Gators the ball at the River Ridge 5 (officially a punt of minus 21 yards). The heady play saved River Ridge two points on a safety, and on the next play, Land O'Lakes fumbled the ball back.

Things got better for Clapson as he drilled a 45-yard field goal to give River Ridge a 3-0 lead, and he booted a 20-yarder on the last play of the first half to tie the game at 6-6. ​

Link:
    http://www.stpetersburgtimes.com/News/090300/Pasco/Heroes_and_happenings.shtml

And a picture:
    [​IMG]

2. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which division is it? I pray to god it's the Faroe Islands 4th division just for the fun of it:cool:

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Not sure but I think the Formula Deildin is their first division. Or the FPL if you prefer.

4. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And no Work Permit issues!! I smell a move to the Nationwide Conference. :)

5. lmorris8

lmorris8 New Member

Apr 26, 2006
    Florida
    Paul lived in Florida for the past few years. He is an amazing soccer player who is devoted to the sport like no one I have ever known. Paul's a kind hearted individual who always knows how to make people laugh. Now that he is following his dream of playing soccer all we can do back in the states is be happy for him.

6. Pleasy

Pleasy New Member

Jul 9, 2006
    hi paul!
    how do you like it in the faroe islands ? you think its cold?
    its good to hear that you like us faroese girls ;)

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Who doesn't?

8. TheRightPants

TheRightPants Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Los Angeles, Etc.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's funny. I played against this guy in high school (he was a sophomore). River Ridge High School was like a pseudo-magnet school in the county and attracted a lot of foreign students. Clapson, if I remember correctly, was not much of a standout when I played against him. Maybe it's time for me to head to the Faroe Islands...

Thanks for the throwback, Dave.

9. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    The Fighting Whale Whackers

10. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The coach of KI coached a college in Florida for a few years. Back in 1999, there was also an American keeper at KI.

11. English_Gent

English_Gent New Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Reading, England
    Faroe Islands league is about the same standard as Sunday league football, he could probably just about get a transfer to my local pub team if he's lucky.

12. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Have you seen a Faroese Premier League game? The level of play is much better then you think.

13. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    *snickers*

;)

14. Luckshot

Luckshot New Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Chicago, IL
    I know this is a very old post but since it is important...

Paul Clapson passed away about a week ago.
    http://www.smithcorcoran.com/obituary/paul-clapson/

Its very unfortunate for this to happen to him. He was one of the coaches in our local soccer club.
    I never played under him but he really helped our team and town out in his years coaching. May he rest in peace.

DC_Dave, Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    That is sad news, but thank you for sharing it here.