Ben Olsen

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by USAin2006, Apr 12, 2006.

1. USAin2006

USAin2006 Member

Sep 7, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He much maligned here on Big Soccer, but I thought Benny was close to our best player last night (not saying much) and he was also our best player in the fall in another lackluster performance against Scotland. That's two games where we played like shit, and he was one of the only players to stand up...something that I'm sure Bruce will remember.

I think he goes to Germany over Zavagnin and Ralston. To me the last spot comes down to either Benny or Noonan. Olsen has a tremendous workrate and infectious enthusiasm, if not a ton of skill - things that Bruce seems to value highly (hey...always gets Frankie a spot on BA's roster).

He also has a bit of an in-your-face attitude I think our team needs sometimes (like Clint Mathis gave us, but minus the doritos and discipline problems). Not sure why everyone here seems to hate him so much, really.

2. glove

glove New Member

Mar 20, 2001
    gaithersburg,md
    Ben has never been the same since he picked up multiple injuries during his brief stint with Nottingham Forrest. He used to fly and could take people on 1 v1 but that is gone now he's all heart and hustle. He works well off the ball, marks fairly well and is hard to disposses. His passing is nothing special at least he does not turn the ball over often. All in all I think Ben may be on the way to Germany if you don't have Ralston,Noonan or Zavagnin on the team which at this point is not far fetched.

3. Cbear5959

Cbear5959 New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Rhody
    I'll give Ben Olsen credit for never quitting and always working hard... that's about all I'll give him. The turn on the ball he made early in the first half of the game was the only bit of skill I've seen from him in a U.S. uniform. I think he's consistently trying to get by on hustle.
    There is something to be said for having a tough fighter who won't be intimidated vs other world cup teams but for my money I'll take Pablo as the hard man any day. He's got the skill, the grit and the attitude to fill that role and I don't think there's a need to bring a hard man to sit on the bench the whole time. I think everyone would agree that if we see Ben Olsen on the field vs. the likes of Italy or Czech Republic then we are in for a rough ride.

4. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    If I was doing the picking, he'd be on the team.

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Better than KZ.

6. DiscoWarrior11

Dec 27, 2005
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt Arena will take Noonan and Ralston... and if he only takes 7 backs (including Lewis), I think Olsen makes it, even if he doesn't see a minute of PT out there.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    if eight mids:

DMB, Convey, JOB, Reyna, LD, Olsen, Deuce, Mastro

8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I like the cut of Olsen's jibe.

He definately seems improved over what I saw in
    the Gold Cup. Strong, intense work rate with
    some skill and versatility.

He's not going to help us win any games, but he's
    not going to hurt us.

9. Bill63

Bill63 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Ben looked ok 1st half. Ironically, it was Ralston that was finding him a lot early, which made Benny look better. (That and the fact that he made himself available). Then Donovan, the sleeping Jamaican defense, and Ricketts. In the second half, as Ben himself said, he was just running around in circles.

10. DiscoWarrior11

Dec 27, 2005
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see him as an 70th to 80th minute sub for an attacking mid or forward in a 1-0 game, not much else

11. DiscoWarrior11

Dec 27, 2005
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as far as the WC is concerned, that is.

12. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    I think he is getting better. Maybe it is because he shaved that Bush over his face :) I would not be surprised if Bruce takes him along to Germany.

13. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And with his new haircut and shave, he looks exactly like Bruce Cambell from Army of Darkness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I don't agree.

I'm sure I'm not the only one.

15. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ben gets ripped here alot. Ben is a great player and a class guy.

The US Will do well with Olsen on the field. DC had a terrible time last summer without him, during the Gold cup. In all Honesty he seems to me to be the one player with the heart needed to play on the international level. I didn't see it from anyone else tuesday night, OR in Germany.

As much as i would like to see him kicking butt in DC this summer, I am resigned to the Fact that he will be kicking butt in Germany this June.

16. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Benny is actually very skilled on the ball, and busts some serious moves in MLS games. But he's smart enought to know that at the international level his job is to keep it simple and quick. Did anyone else notice that he was one of the few players moving the ball quickly with one-touch play.

And he's a gem for the off field stuff.

17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Benny over KZ? Sure. Whatever. They're each Carlos Llamosa selections. Emergency duty only.

The other 7 middies, you want on the field at one time or another.

18. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    And that could be an extremely important, if limited, role to play.

I think Olsen may be moving up the depth chart past Zavagnin to be Mastroeni's backup. I see Pablo, or a "destroyer" like him, as a necessity in midfield against any likely opponent, even if it means benching one of Reyna or JOB (assuming they are healthy). I can envision Olsen coming into a game as a retaliatory sub to send a message to a Gattuso or an Essien, particularly if Mastroeni is riding a yellow card.

For that to occur we would probably have to be leading or satisfied with holding on to a tie.

The last slots on the US roster are likely to go to good "team players" who fill a specified need like Llamosa in Korea. I think Benny is well positioned to fill such a role.

19. COMEONYOUREDS!

COMEONYOUREDS! New Member

Feb 4, 2001
  20. MLS SupaStr3

MLS SupaStr3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    NJ
    I'll take Olsen over Zavagnin

21. joehill

joehill Member

Sep 28, 2005
    brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    you must not have seen his goal against guatemala in february then.

22. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

HAHAHA, repped.

forza inter

23. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's right. If Ben Olsen or KZ go, they will probably play at some point.

24. rockymtn_mike

rockymtn_mike New Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Adams County, CO

Your Not.

I agree with you

25. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben will probably go, and I'm ok with that. Given the testimonials to him being a good teammate, he'll contribute that way even if he doesn't play much. He still looks like a red card waiting to happen, but he gives us a backup to Pablo (speaking of cards ;) ) and can play some RM if absolutely needed. I'd take him over KZ.