Klinsmann and die Nationalmannschaft

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Dead Fingers, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    EDIT: there will be another game thread

This thread went some place else

March 22, 2006

Westfalenstadion (Dortmund, Germany)

There could be a lot of visitors here in the next few weeks. Be courteous and respectful. KEEP to the GAME/thread topic at hand. If there is a problem, please report the post and do not "retaliate"

Thank you!

df

2. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: Germany : United States [R]

This game is some time away but Klinsman defenitely needs to change a few things. First is first and thats bring Kehl into the damn team, if not, we might as well put a straight jacket on him and throw him into an asylum.

Second, the points made about the flat four were all true, a 3-5-2 just might work with our central midfielders and our pacey wingbacks who are better all out attacking anyways.

3. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

This game will be played on a non-international duty schedule. In other words, The US will not play with their European based players, don't know what Germany will do.

4. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

I think this would be a useless game for Germany to put all its starters in, for the reason that neither will the US. I say this game should give some youngsters a chance, maybe call up Manuel Friedrich, Malik Fathi, Piotr Trachowski, Stefan Keissling and/or Moritz Volz (pending approval). I don't see why not. Germany should also rest key players for this match as well. Dont' see the point of risking Ballack and Klose over what will be subsequently a "B" side.

5. snoooop

snoooop Red Card

Jul 16, 2005

im not very interested in that game.:eek:

i wait for 2010 and hope we have in 2010 a better team. i cant believe it, whats going on? we always had many high/worldclass players and after 1998 there was nothing, the german league sux more and more, the german clubs play international bad(mostly) and we loose every year more UEFA-Points....

why do all big european nations have youth academys? and germany not?
    we always had big players and big talents but from on year to the other, not anymore.
    How can a country with 16 Mio ppls(Holland) have so many worldclass players and a country with 82 Mio ppls(Germany) has 1 1/2 worldclass players??

why do german clubs always buy cheap east-europeans and southamericans and do not make young german players to big players? why?

our whole nationalteam sux and i hope that we will suc up at the WC, that the Mayer-Vorfelder and all others from German FA see that they have to build youth academys and learn from Holland, France and England.

i know thats off-topic :D
    and sorry for my english, im still learning:D

6. Herr Wolf

Herr Wolf New Member

Feb 7, 2006
    California

I think "Die NationalMannschaft" will take out their anger on a second class American side. I would rather see the U.S. play their European based players, so we can still crush them like bugs. A statement needs to be made

7. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Quite frankly, I wouldn't blame the leauge...I mean, the Bundesliga is better than Holland's league by far and is just as competitive as any of the other big leagues. The Bundesliga also has the highest attendence rates in Europe, players should be attracted to playing in Germany. I just think many are intimidated by German culture and the german style, that along with many other things.

8. snoooop

snoooop Red Card

Jul 16, 2005

and its a financial thing, Bayern gets 16 Mio a year from TV and Juve gets over 200 Mio for 2 years from TV.
    Germany is not like it was 40 years ago, it is multicultural here like in america or anywhere else, i go on street and see blacks,asians, a lot of russians and turkish ppls and from all other countrys, we have in germany no fans who make monkey-sound in stadiums when black players touch the ball like they do it in italy and spain.

the attendence is because, the tickets cost in england 3x more, we have everywhere new stadiums and all 18 clubs from the first league come from different citys and in england come 6? from London, 2 from Manchester, 2 from Liverpool and so on..

ive learned that everywhere the ppl think bad about germany but the think we are conservative and boring and thats not true.

9. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
  10. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If your national team treats this game the way you are, YOU WILL NOT WIN against our team...especially with how awesome our form has been of yet.

I suggest you not underestimate the United States. We can play ball.

11. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar

Unlike most on this thread, I think this is a very important match for us. We need to come out and give a good showing to boost morale. I wouldnt mind seeing starters play because right now we need a good result to ease our fears. Klinsi also needs a good result to prove himself. Look for a German squad to come out fireing.

12. Wotan

Wotan New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Philadelphia (& CAL)
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany : United States [R]

Does anyone know if Klinsi plans any roster changes for the friendly vs USA? I would assume Kahn will be back as GK. Has he announced anything yet? Any predictions? Mine is Germany 3-1.

13. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

yes Kahn should be goalkeeper.....actually first should have been Lehman and Kahn for Italy game..but Kahn was still not o.k after his injury so it was changed....so Lehman was goalkeeper against Italy...and now gets Kahn his chance....I like Kahn more than Lehman...so it is fine for me....

My prediction..funny....the same......3:1 for GERMANY!

14. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen

Sure, you can.
    Furthermore in the form the NT showed at Italy
    they shouldnn´t underestimate even a pub team,
    but Germany plays at home, so they must win. ;)

I go for a 4-2 for Germany (Confed Cup style :D ).

15. LebenslangGruenWeiss

Aug 13, 2004
    Heidelberg

No roster changes but I guess he will change the lineup. He should finally include Borowski from the beginning. I predict this lineup:

----------------------Kahn---------------------

Owomoyela----Metzelder----Huth----------Lahm

----Frings----Ballack----Borowski---Schweinsteiger

---------------Hanke-------Podolski--------------

My guess is a boring 2:0 for Germany. goals by Ballack and Klose who comes in at the 54th minute for a dissapointing Podolski.

The Klose goal will be like this: Owomoyela goes past two players and passes wide to Frings who then directly passes in the middle to Borowski who delivers the ball with a back-heel pass to Klose who lifts the ball past the goalkeeper. Beautiful goal in a very boring match.

16. Beatfan

Beatfan New Member

Mar 23, 2004

USA's hot
    Germany's not

German have home field advantage.

An exciting game ensues in which both teams play brilliant ball and both keepers shine.

0-0 tie.

17. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar

I had a dream last night where Germany beat the US 1-0. On a header by Klose in the 42nd minute into the top right hand corner. Thats my prediction

18. AGF Aarhus

AGF Aarhus Member

Union Berlin
    Apr 7, 2001
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin

Chelsea has an FA Cup match the same night. I don't think Huth will be in Dortmund.

19. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar

no huth?

if we win this match that might be a sign for klinsi that huth shouldnt be playing on his squad

20. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If that is the line up Klinsmann goes with I predict that either Taylor Twellman, Landon Donovan, or Clint Dempsey will get a hat trick, with the USA winning 4-1.

First, that line up lacks a true defensive mid. All the midfielders there are attack oriented. Frings can play defensive mid, but it's not his best position - he usually either plays on the right or attacking mid.

Second, the center backs are Metzelder and Huth. Metzelder is not in the form he had pre-achillies injury, and he's not playing first team soccer (Brzenska starts ahead of him for Dortmund). Huth is young and slow and hardly ever plays for Chelsea, and consistently gets burned at international level.

Third, Klinsmann's tactics push the wing backs forward frequently (something both Owo and Lahm are good at), leaving the slow, not in good form, not playing much, not having a good defensive mid in front of them, Metzelder and Huth constantly exposed.

These three things combine to produce a perfect recipe for tons of scoring opportunities and goals for the opposition.

Really, if Germany is going to have any chance at all with any half way decent teams, or especially upper-echelon teams like Italy (who just demolished Germany), Klinsmann is going to have to drastically alter his line up and tactics.

First, as has been frequently stated in other threads, it would probably be best to go with a 3-5-2 system, featuring a back three with players that start for their clubs (and are in form), and featuring at least one, but preferably two, true defensive mids to play in front of them. This would provide solid play in the middle of defense, good support in front of them (with the defensive mids), and would free up the wingers and Ballack to attack at will.

My line-up would be:

------------------- Kahn or Lehmann ------------------

------ ---Friedrich ------ Mertesacker ------ Farenhorst

Frings ----------- Kehl ------------ Hamann ------------- Lahm

------------------------ Ballack ---------------------------------

---------------- Poldolski ------------- Klose ----------------

This line-up would have versatility. In the back, it would be OK to have Huth as a back up, and throw in Nowotny, who's been playing well. A back up defensive mid would be Baumann (or he could start head of one of the others). On the wings, you could have Schneider, Deisler, Owomoyela on the right and Schweinsteiger, Borowski, Ernst, on left. Backing up Ballack could be Frings or Schneider or Schweinsteiger. Backing up the strikers could be Asamoah, Hanke, Nueville, Kuranyi, or Brdaric.

The main thing would be true defensive coverage, with the middle clogged up with true in-form defenders and defensive mids (all five of those guys - Friedrich, Mertesacker, Farenhorst, Kehl, and Hamann, start regularily for their clubs, are playing well, and some are even getting champions league experience). And I think Klinsmann's attacking tactics need not be sacrificied with this scheme because Ballack and the wingers are more freed up to do what they do so well.

As for the USA, I'm not worried at all about their tactics because Bruce Arena is a really smart cookie. They will, however, be starting a mostly MLS line-up, and thus won't be full strength. But the MLS guys are pretty darn good, too (I already mentioned Twellman, Donovan, Dempsey).

I'll root for the USA first, but Germany are my second favorite team. I hope it's a good game, that the MLS guys play well, and that Klinsmann wakes up to his team's massive defensive holes.

21. blazsovszkyc

blazsovszkyc Member

May 20, 2004
    Budapest
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  22. Camilo

Camilo New Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Colombia

................................... .Kahn

.............Farenhorst.......Me tzelder..........Merte

................................... ..Kehl

Frings............................. ................................... Schweni

..........................Deisler ..............Ballack

................................Klose......Poldi

This is my line up, and yess, somebody pleaseee fire Klinsmann...and bring Hitzfield

23. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

you are opposite of my...my first team is GERMANY and my second favorite is USA..

USMNT is pretty strong....good forward, midfield, Donovan, Baesley, Twellmann...many good stars.....it will be interesting game..but i hope we will win...we need to win after Italy catastrophal game:)

24. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hitzfeld probably would have been a much better selection from the start. But he wanted nothing of it, nor did Otto Rehhagel. Klinsmann through his hat into the ring on the condition he could commute from California. Germany were desperate, so the German FA accepted those conditions.

On the one hand I respect Klinsmann's stance. He did it for the befefits of his wife and kids. His kids are growing up in California, and he doen't want to uproot them, nor be an absentee Dad. As a father of two girls myself, I totally respect that. Also, as a native Californian (born and raised), I relate to his desire to live here. ;)

On the other hand, having a national team coach that commutes from some far away place really is an untenable situation. He cannot possibly do his job to the best of his ability if he flying back and forth all the time, and basing a lot of his player evaluations on what he sees on sattelite TV, and being away from the players themselves.

So, since the German FA accepted Klinsmann's conditions, it now has to live with sub-standard output. It is silly to complain and criticize now, because everyone knew what the problems would be.

Perhaps they should go with Hitzfeld now, assuming he'd be interested. But if that's the case, they'd better do it really quick.

But through all of this, it's not the commuting that Klinsmann has been doing that concerns me, it's his foolish, naive tactics and player selections. The 4-4-2 system, lacking a true defensive mid, pushing the wing backs forward all the time, and starting slow, not-in-great-form, not-playing much for their clubs, players in Metzelder and Huth, is just asking the opposition to score tons of goals.

25. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Great post Jeff. And I agree that the DFB knew the conditions, so they need not b!tch now.

On Hitzfeld, you hit the nail right on the head. He wanted no part of it.

However, I will tell you that I completely believe Hitzfeld is just waiting for Klinsmann to fail so he can "clean up the mess" with much less pressure.

In other words, Hitzfeld didn't have the courage to take over the team when he knew the pressure would be at it's most demanding.

I've lost some respect for Hitzfeld because of that.

However, I feel Germany will fail at the World Cup, the press will call for Klinsmann's head along with those of Jogi Low and Oliver Bierhoff.

The three will resign before being fired.

Hitzfeld will then "gracefully accept" the "tough job" of getting the team "fixed" and ready for Euro 2008 qualifying with Matthias Sammer taking over for Bierhoff and Michael Henke taking over for Low.

And they will win. Boy, will they win.......... :cool: