Polish Press Reports

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by drew_VT_6, Feb 27, 2006.

1. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've gotta be able to scare up a few of these...I'll have to track down my Rochester-SamsArmy friends who also happen to hail from Poland for some translations...

2. RhinosBoy21

RhinosBoy21 New Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Rochester NY, but or
    The best article talking about USA is... http://sport.gazeta.pl/sport/1,65025,3184360.html

Title: "Poland - USA: World Cup Test"

Most of the article talks about what stregedy our players will use and who will play in goal, but does say that USA is a very good team, and noone should underestimate them because they proved they were real good in 2002 when they "outplayed" Germany in a 0-1 loss... so it says this is a very good test for Poland.

Other top sites:
    http://sport.onet.pl/
    http://pilka.interia.pl/

I'm sure more will come on USA probably tomorrow and Wed of course, but this is our first match of 2006, and with the great play of Smolarek and our European based players who are playing really good, most columnists talks about where they will fit on this team and also we have a goalkeeper controversy in the making with 3 guys who could argueably be #1 so alot of articles talk about that, esspicially Dudek vs. Boruc.

3. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Jacek Bak (central def, currently playing in Quatar, formerly in France) was interviewed by Gazeta Wyborcza and asked about the US team

he said that the Americans don't get enough credit for their soccer players, its true that we beat them 3-1 in Korea but they advanced and we did not, they made the quaterfinals in Korea and are ranked 7th and that makes an impression

he remembers them also from the 1-0 loss in Poland and thinks they're good technically, very strong and excellently organized, you can't beat them 'walking or standing still' (meaning you have to run and work) if you don't sacrifice 100% don't even think of getting a result

4. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahhhhh... warm fuzzies... :)

Seriously, rep to the both of you. Thanks for the reports.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    You know what's odd. No matter who we play, the press always feels that they need to remind their readers that the US is a good team and it's a worthwile game. Don't fans know that? Polish soccer fans know what happened in '02. They know it's a good test.

6. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC

they kicked our arse??????? and korea saved our arses against portugal.....

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    It's just that people don't thnk of the US and soccer in the same sentence.

Some things grow on people slowly.

8. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

like gonorrhea? not like i'd know but, um, nevermind

9. Li mu bei

Li mu bei Member

Jun 5, 2001
    Kettering, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More like warts . . . or perhaps some type of fungus.

10. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'm glad that if foreign media doesnt give us credit , at least some foreign players are giving us recognition to what we are doing here , and our improvement in soccer .

11. kr4fun

kr4fun New Member

Jul 20, 2005
    everywhere
    Im all for respect for our Nats but if we could get by one more WC with little to no respect thats somewhat ok with me. Maybe that way we could get the chance to really thump a team with WC reputation(Italy).

12. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    let 'em underestimate us. look what it did for portugal.

13. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston
    LOl, they aren't, and we better not underestimate them.

14. bradley31

bradley31 New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    People constantly say this on BS. Portugal underestimated the US and see what happened. Maybe. But, maybe they just got beat.

15. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good thing he wont be anywhere close to the starting lineup. hopefully.

and yeah in this game America has the better defense. But, overall as a team. Poland has the better offense and midfield. When there healthy they should beat America and should get out of there group with Ecuador and Costa Rica in there group.

I watch both teams extensively. Hands down America has the better defense and better bench. But, Zurawski, Smolarek, Szymkowiak, Krzynowek step out in my mind as amazing players and when there healthy it's hard for me to say USA will win. Nobody stands out for America. That can be both a positive and a negative. Maybe McBride sometimes but other than that.

I know DeMarcus and Oguchi but even these guys still have alot of proving to do. Maybe America will do some awesome proving Wednesday. If they can beat Poland and play hard against the Germans. Then they are amazing and ready to play well in World Cup.

I just hope their are no injuries and both teams do well in Germany.

16. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is this respect for our national team?? I think poland are my second fav. team now.

17. CLEATS

CLEATS New Member

May 2, 2005
    No more POLISH jokes for me.

18. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I gave up "Polish jokes" in the 5th grade. How old are you?

19. BelhavenKeeper

BelhavenKeeper New Member

Nov 15, 2002
    Vienna, Austria
    Yeah but we did beat Portugal, and the Portugal-Poland game was the most lopsided game at the 02 Cup other than the German masacre of the Saudis. We were also the only team in the group to get a result against the Koreans and their homecooking officials. We had 4 points, Poland and Portugal each had 3, we deserved to go through.

20. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep no doubt about it. USA played a smart tatical group stage. I think the only reason Poland won that game was because they had the monkey off their backs. They were already out and played like they did in qualifying. USA deserved it, they came to Korea ready to play. You can't say the same about Portugal or Poland.

I feel asleep watching Belgium and Tunisia before the Poland vs Portugal game. I'm glad I feel asleep. dreadful

21. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    flashback to a Japanese ref making a ridiculous call to take away Donovan's equalizer...

$%*&%*(& refs

22. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    no. they were clearly better than us that day, in all aspects of the game.

23. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    The Poland game was a very difficult one to prepare for because the Poland coach benched most of the guys who started the first two games. The Bruce is very thorough when it comes to scouting the opposition and preparing us for the strengths and weaknesses of the other team. He couldn't do that for that game and we lost one of our most important advantages. We have to hope something similar doesn't happen this year with Ghana losing any possibility of advancing after their first two matches.

24. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  25. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes. I know this. But, I was saying they didn't show up for their first two games. Actually, the starting lineup of Poland in 2002 doesn't have one player the same as 2006. That's if Dudek doesn't start playing more and ends up starting. But, I think this is Boruc's World Cup maybe even Kuczak, he's been quite a nice surprise at West Brom.