Nowak's "Send him back to Africa/to the hospital" remark

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Dirt McGirt, Feb 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2/20 Update: Statement from League Office:

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20060220&content_id=52476&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

2/19 Update: article by Stephen Goff presenting DC United's side of the story:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/19/AR2006021901052.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOD NOTE:

During DC's scrimmage with RSL, Peter Nowak said to RSL's coaching staff "Send him back to Africa" re a black trialist from the Caribbean.

Please keep things civil on this sensitive topic. Inappropriate comments will be deleted.

You can hear John Ellinger discuss the incident at the link below.

Link to radio interview here. The interview took place Friday afternoon following the RSL-DCU match, on SLC's "1280 The Zone". The Elllinger interview starts at minute 2:28:30 (10 minutes in duration). Note: this link & audio file will be unavailable after Monday afternoon.

Nice! I guess since I'm not a known supporter I can't post there anymore. ******** o

ff!

2. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Re: Discuss Nowak and DC Mods reaction to the story.

Hey, I'm a DC fan and I'm happy to discuss this with you. My initial reaction is that there are bound to be 20 threads on this topic by the morning (hell there's already 5 or 6 including the Chicago board) so keeping one to DC supporters doesn't seem out of line to me, maybe I'm wrong. I think Knave just wants to keep it civil and serious. Obviously this is a very delicate subject and he's just trying to keep it from becoming a full flame out between DC fans and non DC fans. But this is a good a place as any for open discourse so let it fly......

3. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If you want to complain about how the DCU mods have handled this, please make your comment in "Customer Service".

4. Nodak

Nodak New Member

Feb 28, 2005

I have something to say. This Sucks. It is not gonna matter what was intended. Perception is a part of reality. My beloved D.C. and the league for that matter are going to suffer for what Nowak said. I heard the interview with the SLC Coach this is not good.

I feel sorry for Nowak but I don't at the same time. You have to be smarter than that. No way the league takes this lightly. Especially after the 1836 thing.

5. OnceTegoCaldes

OnceTegoCaldes Red Card

Nov 19, 2005
    san leandro
    Re: Nowak's "Go back to Africa" remark

I was planning on contributing on the DC boards, but they are excluding non-DC fans in that discussion, 'cuz the DC boards like that insular, incestuous dialogue thing and all. And even though I'm a DC fan, I've stepped out of line and I don't think I'm welcome there. :rolleyes:

I hope that DC fans come over here and offer their contributions.

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

Thank you. I also want to insure DC United supporters can discuss this serious matter amongst themselves. Is that bound to rub some people the wrong way? Sure. And I'll take the heat for that. But there are going to be lots and lots of threads on this topic, and I want to insure that DCU supporters - particularly the die hard regulars on the United board - have a place of their own to talk about it.

7. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000

I'm going to guess that he said it.

That said, Piotr is Polish. Translations don't always work. I am (was) fluent in Italian. I lived in Rome, Italy, for several years. I've grown very, VERY, accustom to literal translations that sound bad in one language and normal in another.

Does anyone believe Piotr is racist? Considering who he played with on the Fire, I would guess he's not racist. Could he be? Of course, but I lean towards not.

People in the USA are over-sheltered and over react to situations like this, especially white people. They get concerned that they'll be perceived as racist so they over compensate. Some people call this "pee cee".

As a Fire fan, Piotr deserves the benefit of the doubt.
    As an American, I give those who's first language is NOT Engligh the benefit of the doubt.
    As someone that's lived and traveled abroad extensively, I ignore something like this until it's habitual.

8. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's important that Peter Nowak hold a press conference soon to let people know exactly what he said.

The longer the league and DC United sits on this story, the worse it'll make the league look when it eventually comes out.

9. OnceTegoCaldes

OnceTegoCaldes Red Card

Nov 19, 2005
    san leandro

Thread started... https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7571284#post7571284

Why am I not surprised that it's the DC forum that is pulling this? No wonder we have the rep for having the most heavy handed mods. And no wonder I never post on this site. :rolleyes:

10. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nowak is Polish. Has lived in the US, what, six or seven years?

I, as a white person growing up in this country, would know the very heavy baggage wrapped up in saying that someone should be sent back to Africa. Hopefully I wouldn't say it for personal value reasons...but I'd know enough not to say it in public even if it didn't offend my values.

Nowak doesn't have that cultural awareness. If he sees a black player with whom he's upset, he reportedly says the comment. If he'd said 'Send him back to St. Martins and Kitts" would the same firestorm be erupting? If he'd said of Mattheaus, 'send him back to Germany', what would the reaction have been?

I think he stepped in it without realizing the territory was mined. If I'm right, it doesn't at all prove he's racist. He's just not culturally aware. We need to be careful not to assume he knows what we know about our culture. More important to view how he plays and values his own black players.

I think he does. Some black DC fans don't. I have no idea what reality is on this one...but we need to be careful about projecting our own view of the world into Nowak's head.

11. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

As I posted on the DC board, I was at the game. Both teams were directly across the field from the hundred or so spectators and isolated to themselves. There was a lot of cussing coming from all the players on both teams. If Nowak had screamed it at the top of his lungs I would've heard it. Since I didn't I can only assume that it was leaked by a RSL player or staff member to that radio station. I'm not sure DC United is even aware there IS a story.

12. lobtuf

lobtuf New Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Re: Nowak's "Send him back to Africa" remark

you're a cutting and pasting fiend ain't ya? ;)

13. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow.

My initial reaction is that if Nowak said it, he should be gone.

If you can communicate in English well enough to be the head coach of one of the most visible teams in the league, then you can communicate well enough to be responsible for what comes out of your mouth.

I'm not buying the "but he's not a racist" defense, either. I'm not a racist. But if I wanted to get under the skin of an opposing African-American player, I know a few inappropriate things I could say, even if I didn't believe them. That wouldn't make it OK.

I've heard Peter Nowak speak. I've interviewed him. His English isn't that bad, and he's a pretty bright guy. He's spent eight years in this country. At some point, the "he's from Poland" thing wears a little thin. I don't remember MLS cutting Edwin Gorter much slack, and Gorter had only been living in the US for less than a year. I think they've got to hold coaches and management to an even higher standard than the one they hold players go.

To put it another way, there's a certain standard of behavior that goes along with being an MLS head coach. If you can't live up to that standard, then you can't be a head coach in this league.

Gorter was fined $20,000 and suspended five games. Nowak deserves AT LEAST that much.

14. Bailamos

Bailamos New Member

Jul 26, 2005

"send him back to anywhere" is just inappropriate. that's not Nowak's call to make, and none of his business to tell another coach. if he doesn't like a call, the ref is the one to talk to.

15. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Um...that's how stadium deals get killed.

On one level, sure...there should be an effort to consider the guy's background, review his past language, analyze his psychological makeup, speak to his close friends in an effort to truly "understand"... But when the Washington Post gets a hold of this, is that the way you think it'll spin?

On another level, it's about business.

How would you feel if you had worked tirelessly to cultivate relationships with various DC politicos, trying to get a stadium built? And now all that hard work could be thrown in the crapper if certain constituency groups get a hold of this.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that I know which side usually wins when business decisions must be made.

Throw away all that goodwill with the DC community? No.
    Nowak gone? Yes.

16. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I have no clue if he said it, or what should be done about it, but not knowing where a player is really from, and just assuming black == africa is the entire problem with the whole remark itsn't it?

I don't think it's worth losing your job over, but a fine and suspension just for the league to pretend it's tough on "racism" should suffice.

It's probably because I've been brainwashed into not caring about my heritage as a white guy in America, but I wouldn't get made if someone yelled "go back to europe" to me, unless being from Africa is some terrible god awful insult that I wasn't aware of.

Honestly, the way the DC Mods are handling this are probably going to cause just as much of a ruckus as the actual comments themselves, nice work deflecting attention, they train you well in DC :p

17. lobtuf

lobtuf New Member

Oct 13, 2005

Has anyone said that maybe Nowak thought Harris actually was from Africa?

Personally, I don't think it matters much because even if he truly thought Harris was from Africa, the facts don't support Nowak.

18. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Unfortunately for Nowak a stadium deal in a predominantly black neighborhood hangs in the balance.

19. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The problem is we don't know exactly what was said and in what context.

Ellinger, though, certainly sounded disturbed by the incident and supportive of whatever action upper management ends up taking.

That makes me think that this was a bit more than a harmless remark or joke taken out of context, but something that bothered Ellinger and his team.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

DIng, ding, ding.

Perception becomes reality and the team can't risk the perception among the African American majority in the area where they want to build that they employ and sanction a racist coach.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Gorter got his suspension for making derogatory comments about Miss World or Miss Universe winner who was from Trinidad. (And at the time, the captain of the T&T national team was playing for the Revs.)

I imagine something similar to what Gorter got is the best-case scenario for Nowak and his supporters.

21. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"Go back to Africa" is a common racial epithet used by genuine racists in this country. It's a phrase that resonates beyond it's plain meaning, which is bad enough.

The subtext when racists tell black people to "go back to Africa" is that they aren't real Americans and they shouldn't be here, even though in most cases their ancestors were here before most white people's ancestors. There isn't a comparison to telling someone "go back to" any other place, because no other ethnic group in this country has a history that matches that of black Americans, and there isn't any other "go back to XXXX" phrase that has been in such common usage as a racial epithet.

I'm not saying Nowak is a racist, and being an immigrant he may not understand exactly how such a statement sounds within this culture, but he used a phrase that is extremely racially charged and which will elicit a negative reaction from pretty much any black person who hears it, so this issue is not going to just blow over if it's true.

22. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I can't believe that's true. I've only been in Japan for a year and a half, and learning the language for almost five years; all I need to do is read a newspaper here and have some idea which cultural items are loaded so as to avoid. I don't know enough to equate in terms of intensity what is sensitive here to what is sensitive back home, but they are still sticky subjects to come across. (no, I won't tell you what they are, btw)

Certainly Nowak should know better.

23. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

Yup. I think Chico13 and Sandon have it right.

I don't think you can underestimate the stadium situation here. If this turns into a real story ... in a town like DC? In Ward 8? Not good, not good.

24. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002

One way to take care of this situation is to sack Nowak. Racism has no place in football. Furthermore, while he has won a championship with DC, as a DC fan, his style is too pragmatic for my taste. DC should play attacking football like they did when Bruce Arena was coach. So this might be a good excuse to get rid of him and hire a better manager. Even more, Nowak's actions seriously undermine the negotiations for DC United's stadium in South East DC, a more or less black neighborhood. My suggestion is to hire an up and coming American coach, and unearth the next Bruce Arena.

25. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Ok, so I'm ignorant, and was unaware that it was such an insult.