New USA Uniform Available Tuesday

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by wcharriscpa, Feb 11, 2006.

1. TheBaRoN

TheBaRoN Member

Jan 23, 2006
    London, England
    More pics please, maybe close up?

2. superlimey

superlimey Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Boulder, CO
    Might be time to pimp my ride.

[​IMG]

3. yokefello1

yokefello1 New Member

May 17, 2005
    Yeah I'd be interested to see the US kits up close. Nike has been packing these things with detail, as can be seen in the mexico shirt: [​IMG]

It won't change my negative impression of the new shirts, but I'd like to see what they have done with the details.

4. eissman

eissman Member+

Feb 5, 2004
    Illinois
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knew that Herbie was THE inspiration behind the Total 90 numbers!!!
    ;)

5. yokefello1

yokefello1 New Member

May 17, 2005
    ...as well as the new primary kits. So Nike just asked its people to watch old movies and rip off their design motifs? lol

6. eissman

eissman Member+

Feb 5, 2004
    Illinois
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps some "don't tread on me" snakes about it?

7. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I think our blue away kits should have been inspired by Dan Gurney's Eagle which won the '67 Belgium Grand Prix at Spa
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

or the Shelby Cobra which kicked Ferrari's a$$ at LeMans

[​IMG]

8. mette72

mette72 Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Free America
    Yep, and that is also what the best striker the US has ever produced to date looks like as well (when healthy).

Love him or hate him, he would be a great addition to this team if healthy and in his prime. Nice compliment to McBride for sure....

9. pkwin

pkwin New Member

Mar 22, 2004
    in the trap
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    hopefully the lyrics to deuce's classic homage to us soccer are written in the stripes going down the front of the shirt :p

10. yokefello1

yokefello1 New Member

May 17, 2005
    I'd love it to be true, but I doubt it.

Anyway, most Americans care more about NASCAR than our past endurance glories, something I find to be a shame.

11. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

Maybe our 3rd kits could be inspired by the Ford GT-40?

[​IMG]

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Then it looks like we do have something in common then :cool:

13. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    the white -- vertical stripes always make you look thinner :)

14. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to kicking more Italian ass this summer.

15. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    That's the point. Had Nike looked towards our international sporting history vs Italy...... I can't imagine many things bigger than the American Shelby Cobras kicking the a$$es of the Italian Ferraris at LeMans......

16. eissman

eissman Member+

Feb 5, 2004
    Illinois
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's good because my left side IS my best side. ;)

17. SteveWWJ

SteveWWJ Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I think the jersey's are pretty nice, and I don't dislike the larger badges, but I think the design of our badge is really lame and I hate, hate, hate, hate it.... and it's increased size makes it appear even lamer. It looks like something a Rec league with have.

Basically it doesn't need the giant soccer ball on it. Especially when the ball is actually taking the place of the "A" in USA. Our country's name is NOT "The United States", it's "The United States of America" for crissakes. Which is why the 1950 retro jersey has "USA" in the shield and not US. It's also why all of our Olympic apparel has USA and not US.

Are there any other teams in the top 20 or 30 whose badge has a soccer ball on it? I am sure there are some lesser known federations who might have it, but you sure won't see it on England, Mexico, Germany, France, Holland, Portugal, Spain, Braxil, Italy, Argentina, etc.

18. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but like people said, I doubt many Americans would get the reference. Something more obvious would be modelling the kits after the 1980 US Olympic hockey team or something. But I like them as is.

19. yokefello1

yokefello1 New Member

May 17, 2005
    While I agree with you that the badge is over-wrought and a tad rec-league, at this point I would be relucantant to change it.

And for the record plenty of FAs have balls in their crests.

20. yokefello1

yokefello1 New Member

May 17, 2005
    Still, a subtle reference would have been nice. It would give the announcers something to talk about at th very least.

21. SteveWWJ

SteveWWJ Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Edited my own post to say, "other teams in the top 20 or 30 whose badge has a soccer ball on it".

Ya, I know some FAs have it... but not many of them are in the, "top tier" of the sport.

22. yokefello1

yokefello1 New Member

May 17, 2005
    Agreed. Things like the Three lions of England or the cross of Portugal are transcendent and can be held up as national emblems outside of sport connotations. The same can't be said of the "U (ball) S shield". I would be happy with a simple shield and "USA" on it or even a red-and-white striped circle with an old leather bound ball in the center and the words united states on top. The reversed colors are ugly IMO.

23. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Apparently, our '64 Olympic footy kits looked very much like our '80 hockey jerseys -- no crest whatsoever!

[​IMG]

Or, for that matter, every USA basketball jersey since before 1976. Our 1970 ice hockey jersey from the IIHF World Championship looked like this as well, supposedly.

24. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Fixed your post.

25. eissman

eissman Member+

Feb 5, 2004
    Illinois
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL!!! This sounds just brilliant, doesn't it?