BigSoccer Motion Picture Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by GringoTex, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    DRAFT COMMITTEE IS NOW CLOSED

If humanity were destroyed tonight, what movies would you place inside a time capsule to be discovered by either possible survivors, future sentient beings, or aliens?

Movies can be of any period or language. TV shows or music videos are not allowed.

We'll start with ten rounds. The winner will be the one who selects ten movies that the judges feel best offer the greatness of cinema to future civilizations. "Greatness," of course, will be defined by the three judges according to their individual tastes.

Twelve hours allowed between selections. PM the next in line when you've made yours.

There is one more spot open. PM me if you want to join and you'll get be put at the end of the first round.

All selections must be accompanied by art work and brief reason why you chose it.

Draft order is as follows:

1. minorthreat
    2. TheSlipperyOne
    3. obie
    4. nicodemus
    5. SirManchester
    6. bluedaddy19
    7. Quango
    8. Via Chicago
    9. billyireland
    10. DoctorJones24
    11. BayernWake
    12. Iceblink
    13. nancyb
    14. hangthadj
    15. Belgian guy
    16. Uppa 90
    17. bojendyk
    18. Chicago1871
    19. MLSNHTOWN
    20. PSU92
    21. drknow
    22. Norsk Troll

DRAFT COMMITTEE IS NOW CLOSED

Picks moved to the Big Tot Board:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7533373#post7533373

2. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    With the first pick in the draft, I select:
    [​IMG]

Sergei Eisenstein's Battleship Potemkin

Anyone who's seen the infamous sequence of the baby carriage bumping down the steps in Odessa knows why this film is worthy of a first-round pick, but for those who aren't familiar with it, Eisenstein's film is one of the most important and influential ever made. It effectively invented montage.

3. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    Hard to argue with that choice, so I won't. I was really hoping you'd start of with something really controversial or stupid so I could get some good digs in early. Benchmark cinema that.

4. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    This draft order is the suck. Just kidding... we are going 1-19 and then in round 2 19-1 right?

5. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I bet you can't wait to pair this baby up with Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will just to mind******** future civilization.

6. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    I wonder if anyone will have the stones to put TOTW up. There's no doubt that it's stunning cinema. No doubt that it's important (I'd bet William L. Shirer might have said as important as reading "Mein Kampf"). But there's that whole glorification of the nazi thing.

7. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    If anyone cares I think nazis are bad. It's just the way I am.

8. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I don't think so. That requires the drafters on the ends to wait almost 40 picks between selections. We're selecting 200 movies, and in my stellarly educated, informed, and infallible opinion, there's little difference in quality between the best movie of all time and the 200th best movie of all time. The key is knowing what the 200 best movies are. I guarantee you if you pick ten of the best 200 movies of all time, you're going to win this thing. Just look at the yokels you're drafting against.

9. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Eh. I have a tendency to play it safe when I have high draft picks - I had the first pick in the current All-Time Draft thread in the Beautiful Game and went for Pele instead of di Stefano, even though I could easily have made a case for di Stefano. Well, there was the playing safe aspect and the fact that I could play Pele up front or in midfield, whereas I'd have a hard time justifying playing di Stefano anywhere except center forward.

And really, you know me better than to think I'd start off with something stupid. :D

10. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    You freakin' commie. You're probably a hippie, too.

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I'm going to vote in this thread on nothing else but entertainment value and my personal taste. So expect a lot of "yokel" draft choices from me.

12. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Oh, just wait till we get deeper into this. I WILL draft a Chinese movie or two, and I won't be held responsible for any propaganda there.

Mao zhu shi wan sui! :D

13. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    With the 2nd pick of the 1st round TSO selects:

The 400 Blows

[​IMG]

Helping usher in French new wave it brings a mix of humor and sadness while showing the struggles and difficulties of adolescence.

Plus Antoine Doinel is one of my favorite movie characters.

Since I don't know the other participants' thoughts on film I didn't know if this could last into the 2nd round and I didn't want to take a chance.

14. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Up to pick 3 and You Got Served is still somehow available

15. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    That's the spirit! We will be awarding "creativity" points. Just make sure the creativity of a selection outweighs how much it sucks.

16. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    It's culturally significant. Nice aerial shots too. And if aliens saw it, they'd probably just think Germany was da bomb.

17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Dear lord, two draft choices and I already lose one of the movies on my shortlist.

18. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    Thanks to the Slipperyone for being the first to make a boneheaded pick. Hackneyed, over sentimental flim making tripe at its worst.

Just kidding, "The 400 Blows" is a great choice. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the Doinel series fits in or who or if "Breathless" gets claimed. "Shoot the Piano Player" is still out there too folks.

19. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i actually thought those 2 would be safe for me to pick in later rounds... holy crap... you guys really know some movies...

so we are going in order and then at the end of each round we will have a summary for all picks, so we don't double pick?

20. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I take it there's no rule on talking about unpicked movies, then? In the Beautiful Game draft we aren't allowed to discuss unpicked players.

21. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Here's an example of how I'll use creativity as part of my judging criteria. This is is a great film, but I happen to believe Truffaut made three others that are just as good- and none of the three are as near as famous as 400 Blows. Anyone picking those will get a slightly higher grade from me than this pick.

22. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I'm leaning towards a "Nobody talk about unpicked movies" rule. It kinda makes sense.

23. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    That's probably a good idea.

Shut the hell up, Kelly.

24. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Sheesh. If nothing else, this will flood my Netflix queue. How the hell is The 400 Blows unavailable.

25. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Definitely agree.

And I have PM'ed obie that he's up.