Chris Ordonez

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    GersMan recently reposted this tidbit from a US Soccer press release:

"MIAMI TO SPAIN TO ITALY TO ARGENTINA TO MIAMI: The U.S. roster contains six relative newcomers in Chris Ordonez, Heath Pearce, Troy Roberts, Stephen Shirley, Drew Moor and Justin Moose, but it is Ordonez's name that sticks out. Ordonez, born in 1984, lacks the youth national team pedigree of the other five. After spending time in Spain and Italy, Ordonez, a Miami native, has signed a pro contract with Tialleres in Cordoba, Argentina., where he is yet to make his league debut."

I suspect that "Tialleres in Cordoba" is really "Talleres de Cordoba".

Haven't been able to find anything else on the kid.

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Au, but I'm sure you will, it's just a matter of time!

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Re: Re: Chris Ordonez

I should have given myself more credit: There's a guy by this name from the Miami area who was supposed to be a freshman at Brown University this year. He's not mentioned anywhere on the team's website and didn't play in any matches in 2002, so I'm thinking maybe he dropped out of school for tryouts.

4. Martin Cutler

Martin Cutler New Member

Sep 30, 2002
    San Diego
    " I suspect that "Tialleres in Cordoba" is really "Talleres de Cordoba". "

Yes that's the correct name of the club. They finished 15th in the 20 team Apertura (opening) championship which finished before the holidays. Interestingly the club's coach is 1986 World Cup winner Sergio Batista. Good to see an American on an Argentinian club.

5. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Anyone found any more info on this transfer yet?

I have searched around a bit but found nothing.

6. rebel77fl

rebel77fl Member

Dec 19, 2003
  7. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    I don't know if it is the same guy, but the article was from several months ago, when the U20 team was training in Florida, I think before the World Championship was postponed.

Interesting that the Fed release gave him quite a bit of attention and like, two days later Rongen told me he wouldn't be part of their plans. He didn't play in the match that was scheduled for around that time. Not sure if Fernando Clavijo was involved in recommending this player.

8. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Re: At brown again?

Nice work. It must be the same guy.

Well, he probably signed the pro contract with Tallares around Aug '02. The Florida U-20 camp that Ordonez attended was right after the 2003 MLS combine.

However, he didn't last long in Argentina, so he decided to try his luck in college soccer. But, I'd guess that signing a professional contract made him ineligible for Division I soccer. Brown must NOT have figured out all the details until the 3rd game of the year.

I'll bet he resurfaces again at a lower level school.

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It looks like he want back to Brown and graduated this year.