Adu heading back to DC United..

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Cweedchop, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    According to Comcast Sportsnet in DC, Freddy Adu is heading back to RFK for training on Monday, Feb. 6th.

His World Cup is seemingly over now.

2. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    guess so

would have liked to see him against Japan

3. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its better he go back. Now that Kovalenko has left, Nowak will be forced to actually evaluate talent.

4. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, yeah? According the Big Soccer Store's listing for the 2006 home jersey:

So there! ;)

5. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And don't forget the BBC profile of the USA World Cup team where they profiled Adu as our best hope...

6. westsidepunk

westsidepunk Member

May 31, 2003
    Tucson, AZ
    Actually this is what they said:
    I don't think they are referring to him as our present superstar, but our future hope.

7. Lobooho

Lobooho Member

Jul 26, 2002
    Cali
    Is this a thinning down of the herd or do they bring in an alternate or two?
    (typo correction)

8. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I meant by "best hope". The topic is "Present Star-man" and they don't mention a single player on the current roster :(

It's hard to believe that McBride and Keller got overlooked by the British media but I guess Adu is a better story.

9. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Does this mean that posters will continue to post thinly-analysisized threads about Freddy's playing time and position, or will they continue anyway as a way of coping? :)

10. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    Well this sucks. I hope it doesn't actually mean he's out of the running for the World Cup. I can't imagine he is...what has he done so far? A wonderful assist vs. Hammarby and a spirited few minutes as a sub against Canada. He looked good. It is too early to send him home for good.

11. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's be honest. Freddy was never going to get onto the US team for Germany. This was wise long-term planning on Arena's part. Bruce gave Adu a good pre-season warmup and a chance to gain some confidence and familiarity by practicing with and getting a couple of appearances for the national side. Now Freddy will likely be more ready for the MLS season and won't be shellshocked when he's called up for real next year.

Until his time comes, just keep thinking about the US starting lineup in 2010...

'02 good and gutsy
    '06 very good and respected
    '10 just plain scary

12. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    fantastic..but who would u leave out in his place to go to germany? Convey? Eddie Lewis? Mastroeni? even Dempsey?

like ive said in the past, the only way adu is going to the WC is if bruce slaps some gloves on him and lists him as our 3rd Gk just so he can take in the atmosphere and experience a WC

13. ETSC

ETSC Member

Jul 5, 2004

Somewhere in the podcast Bruce mentions they would let the guys go home for three days. Some would be released and he anticipated no additional call ups. (I inferred a "unless injuries dictate" there.)

14. Winds350

Winds350 Member

Sep 10, 2005
    I recall him mentioning that a couple of players would join up with the team for the Guatamala game. I assume because the Galaxy and Revs player's will be with their clubs then.

15. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

I don't think you need to replace any of them, though I think there is a decent chance Adu could replace Dempsey by May if given the chance.

Let's say that these are going:
    3 goalies

7 defenders: Dolo, Gooch, Gibbs, Berhalter/Pope, Bocanegra, 2 of Hejduk/Spector/Pearce

9 midfielders: JOB, Reyna, Donovan, Beasley, Convey, Lewis (call him a midfield for this count), Mastroeni and 2 more.

4 forwards: McBride, EJ, 2 of Wolff/Twellman/Rolfe/Ching/Casey

So you have to find two more midfielders beyond those listed. Not a single one has seperated himself from the pack. Not Dempsey (though arguably the closest), Quaranta, Ralston, Zavagnin, Armas or anyone else. Presumably one of those two will be defensive oriented and the other will be right sided or attacking.

There is plenty of room for Adu on this roster. Particularly since we do not have a backup attacking midfielder for Donovan. Who is the closest? JOB? Dempsey? Convey? We have no one that fits there. Adu is perfect for that slot, and we all know Donovan is probably going to play every minute of the World Cup because he always plays 90 and never gets injured, so Adu probably wouldn't see the field unless he somehow plays on the right or up top. But he could certainly fit into the roster.

16. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, and let's not be dogmatic. As long as...

defenders go in with wild 2-footed challenges
    muscles strain and tear
    16 year olds can improve faster than 23 year olds

the possibility, though remote, exists.

17. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe Bruce thought it important as part of Freddy's WC preparation that he go to camp and win a starting spot with United, so he doesn't stay in the US camp until the Japan game and then not see the pitch for more than 60 minutes a game over the next few months because Piotr is pissed off he wasn't there for camp and won't give him regular starts. :D

Just thought I'd add fuel to the fire. ;)

18. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would've liked to see him get some good playing time against Japan before sending him home. I mean, I guess I don't think he should be going home this early based on his performances. If anyone should be going home now it should be Brian Ching. Oh well.

19. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

I don't know if you actually subscribe to that, but I think it is entirely possible that that is what occurred.

The only problem is, how many games are left for Adu with the USMNT to impress Arena? Korea scrimmage, Japan, Guatemala, and Germany. Poland will likely be a Euro squad to the best of my knowledge.

So basically the real time for Adu to impress is this coming Saturday against Korea, the following Friday against Japan, and then the following week against Guatemala. That's pretty much it. And presumably if he's in camp for DC United right now, he's going to be in camp for DC United in a few weeks. And you've gotta think that it'd be more likely that Nowak is ok with Freddy leaving DC United during the beginning of preseason than later on.

I think, if this is true and Freddy is seriously back with DC United and training and won't be around the MNT vs. Korea or Japan, that he is out of consideration. And if that's the case, based on all I've seen from this camp and the friendlies, Adu really showed enough to deserve to remain in camp. I mean seriously, if Quaranta is allowed to stay, Adu should be allowed to stay in camp. You can say they don't play the same position etc., but the fact is that Adu is probably just as close to a WC roster spot as Quaranta, even considering the dearth of right sided midfielders on the MNT. There is an uneveness about it that is unsettling to an observer like myself; I can't imagine what its like for Freddy. He must think he's living in the twilight zone to have all these players who he can repeatedly school get to stay with the MNT while he has to go back to the czar for preseason practice.

20. lillefty7

lillefty7 New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Bismarck
    Youve killed us

21. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

Voodoo only works with JOB. I truly think Donovan is invincible. When's the last time he had a serious injury? Ever in his life? I don't know, but it is remarkable.

22. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I hope this doesnt come back to bite us in the @$$.

23. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    Someone needs to delete the entire thread immediatly..........:eek:

24. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless your user name is Art Bell, I wouldn't worry about it. Obviously, our comments on BS (assuming they are not read by the players) have no effect at all on the outcome of matches or injuries. In addition, there is no concrete evidence that ghosts, UFOs, and ESP exist. :D

Sorry, but I couldn't resist. False correlations are a pet peeve of mine.

25. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    There is NO way that ADU will miss this WC. No way!
    Only because there's no way US Soccer will pass up the chance to be written in the records book: the youngest player ever to play in a WC.
    He may play for only a few minutes, but he will be there.

You heard it here first.