"...Mathis - Let's see what he can do with this..."

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Noah Dahl, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    GOAL!

Of course.

I really like this player. He is maybe my favorite player on the US team. I think we should talk about Clint Mathis and his gay handlebar moustache.

2. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    We could talk about his weight problem. That's an interesting topic. So effing interesting there's a thread with 100 some odd posts talking about it.

3. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooo...oooh...wait...can we talk about his shorts?? :)

4. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    Let's talk about Mathis lack of moving into to the flow of play after he makes a long pass.

If you saw the game against Canada it was in the second half. He volleys a beautiful ball from a keeper distribution that came to him on one bounce.

He puts it right on a player in a forward middle of the field position. Can't remember who the receiver was maybe OLSEN. That receiver gets tied up by the pressure, a bunch of Canadians converged upon him. That opened up the entire right flank which was where Mathis made the volley from. If Mathis was even walking forward after his volley he was in perfect position to get a return pass because the receiver was facing that flank side. Mathis gets that return pass he has the whole flank and middle of the field with no defender to attack, and a free shot at goal.

But, you have to move after the pass to get into that flow of play. You can't just admire your pass as Mathis did after his pass.

Do you think Arena will see that lack of movement by Mathis, and show Mathis the tape so he can see how important moving into the flow after the pass really is?

Since Mathis is a high percentage finisher the chances were very good he would have scored another goal.

Richie

5. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Oooh w a a i t a minute.

The play you cite may be the case study example for "Why is Ben Olsen out there?"

Mathis took one awkward touch on the ball, twisting, and put Olsen through to goal, PERFECTLY - a step ahead of his defender. Olsen screwed it up, probably because he was not confident in his own speed or finishing. But it's sort of rich to fault Mathis on that play.

And it's pretty hard to turn a "crane-style" stance into a sprinting long range 1-2. That was a BREAKAWAY.

The only way I could fault Clint there is if his dropping back to midfield pushed Ben forward - where he was out of place. But Clint and Landon have been switching like that just fine.

6. Vistula

Vistula New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Garfield
    That was the Ga. State Trooper Look.

7. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    For those who liked "That's why he's out there", I thought you'd appreciate "Let's see what he can do with this..."

This after one of the announcers had spent the first twenty five minutes trying to criticize Clint for, I dunno, not scoring a hat trick or dribbling the entire Canadian team.

Really, how often have we seen Mathis miss an honest chance on goal? For this one he was already celebrating when Donovan hit him on the run - maybe before that. His finish had all the authority of inevitability.

8. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    And what's spilling over the top of them?

9. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    *Of course the announcers also mentioned the US starting slow in this game (huh?) and how Richard Mulrooney had played a little defensive-mid, but he made his bread and butter playing on the flank.

Huh!?! Wasn't Nick Megaloudis an assistant coach for the Fusion at one point? Don't they have to scout teams? He must've missed Richard's 2001 season - you know, the one where they knocked the almighty Fusion out of the playoffs.

10. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Thank you.

11. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, it was. smokey and the bandit.

12. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    I don't post to fool around. I posted on a weakness I saw with Mathis's non movement after he made that pass. Count the seconds he was standing in one spot after the pass. If he moves up even 15 yards in 4/5 seconds he gets the ball back.

Also don't think for a second he is the old pre ACL Mathis he is not.

He still does not take on defenders and beat them like he did before he was injuried. You guys don't remember that part of his game?

When and if he get's that part of his game back, then he will be a bitch to stop by anybody.

Don't get the idea I don't like him as a player. I think moving into the flow, and getting that explosive first step that he used to have to beat people. Then he will be where he was before his injury.

Which was the greatest player this country ever produced by far.

I want to see that again.

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    nope, Village People.

14. BackOtheNet!

BackOtheNet! New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    So Cal
    I knew there was a reason he liked them Slim Jims so much.

15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    when he made the comment about Arena having great abs, I thought it was a joke. Turns out he wasn't kidding. He was just using himself as a point of reference.

16. usagoal

usagoal Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Las Vegas
    [​IMG]

17. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to say this but that's a Fu Manchu moustache, not a handlebar.

18. NYfutbolfan

NYfutbolfan Member

Dec 17, 2000
    LI, NY
    Amen.......by far.

19. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Thank you.

The handlebar is a much more rarified beast, probably most notably worn in recent decades by Rollie Fingers.
    [​IMG]

and Husker Du's bass player Grant Hart

[​IMG]

20. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville

I've written pretty much the same thing time and again. I would add that I would like to see the athletic agressiveness back. For example, he was a physically intimidating player who liked to hit people and win balls. Injuries like his series can change your game though. I frankly wouldn't expect him to turn and sprint from standing on one leg, with the other raised above his chest, at this point.

But the point you neglect is he made an inch- perfect, one-touch pass which should've put Ben Olsen through to goal. Mathis didn't blow it, he more than did his job.

Furthermore I think you saw a few of our players - Cunningham and Donovan come to mind - watching the play a little bit in those situations, perhaps because the game was decided early.

21. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Cletus has a total lack of respect for da' law.

Cletus is "Eastbound and down!"

22. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point exactly...he made a pass most American born and bred players cannot make...I can't fault him too much for ball watching.

23. lachrymologist@46+2

lachrymologist@46+2 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    Arizona Bay
    Outstanding unappreciated punk band reference! Husker Du were as good as the Pixies in mho. Have you heard Bob Mould's latest solo effort?....F'ing TECHNO!??!?!.....What the hell happended?

24. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    god knows... you'd think that if he didn't pick up a synthesizer in the 80's, he never would. weird indeed.

25. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if you are an openly gay musician like Moulds, you are required to do at least 1 techno album. :)