Jan Training Camp Updates: Week 2

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Rocket, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    This might have been already answered, but do the guys get breaks or is it straight training everyday for the rest of camp?

3. Supersuperman99

Supersuperman99 New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Does anyone knows what times they practice this week?

4. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I think at some point they get a break.

5. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've read that practices will be held at 10 am and 4 pm on weekdays.

6. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the US Soccer site they practiced on Saturday. I don't know if it was a double and how that effects tomorrow. I will try and get down to Carson around 10am tomorrow and check it out regardless.

james

7. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard 10 am sessions on Monday and Tuesday, then Wednesday off. Don't know if Monday and Tuesday will also have 4 pm sessions as well. I hope to go on Tuesday morning to give another report and perhaps get better footage/pics...I'm a glutton for punishment.

8. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will try and get some pictures tomorrow and some Autographs. Anyone have any problems getting the players to sign stuff?

james

9. jrlm87

jrlm87 New Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Santa Barbara
    No, just go to where the players get out of their vans and walk on to the field, it is by the parking lot. There is a gate to enter the field behind the building. They seemed to be happy to see fans there, when I was there. Just don't call Eddie Pope, Beasley like some kid did when I was there. :D

10. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which fields are they practicing on? Which lot has the best access and is there any charge for parking at the HDC?

james

11. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bruce Arena has several interesting things to say in today's LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-soccol9jan09,1,7406713.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

On the makeup of the roster for Germany '06:

"As a rule of thumb, I would expect half our roster to be out of Europe and half out of Major League Soccer." ​

On Eddie Johnson:

"He's a little rusty but he's got his body in decent shape. He needs to get back playing again. His touch is off a little bit. That'll take him a little time but it's good to see him here. We haven't seen him in a while. It's a real positive that he's back on the field."​

On the upcoming friendlies:

"We have plenty of time to prepare for our friendlies in January and February, so we'll go at it at the right pace and hopefully move forward and see which players out of this group can be part of our World Cup roster.

I think the game on March 1 will have more European-based players and the game against Germany (on March 22) actually will be mostly domestic-based players because it will be very difficult getting any players besides our German-based players for that game."​

12. Friendly Fire Fan

Friendly Fire Fan New Member

Mar 31, 2005
    I heard there were two 30-minute scrimmages yesterday afternoon--did anyone get to see them?

13. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    those quotes sound like they are from the all-access video on ussoccer.com.

14. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md

Graehme Jones was standing right there when Arena was answering those questions. I somehow think it's probably US Soccer that got the quotes from Jones.

It just happened to be filmed on ussoccer.com.

15. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly, the photo's are trash. They show nothing significant. What is needed are thoughtful analytical assesments of players and sessions!

16. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed they are. I believe the LA Times had a reporter there during that Q&A session.

17. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    jesus h. christ. are you for real?

18. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO

Oh he's for real alright. Not a sarcastic bone in his body..............

19. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless they've changed, they are practicing on the main fields, just to the north of the main entrance to HDC off of Avalon Blvd. (which is the only entrance open on normal weekdays with no games).

I don't know about parking inside HDC, I just parked across the street from the main entrance. You can't do that on game days, but it's fine to park in that residential area otherwise. Maybe someone else knows about parking inside the HDC lot?

20. laloca

laloca New Member

Aug 6, 2005
    The LA Times article mentions a closed door scrimmage against Korea. What is the purpose of keeping the public out?

21. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last week's practices didn't look too physical based on what I saw from the ussoccer.com videos.

Can we expect Bruce to raise the level of intensity at some of this week's practices to see how they do under game-like conditions?

22. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are you here then?

23. curtwpg

curtwpg Member

May 19, 2004
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Does anybody know what the players are paid for attending camp?

24. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about camp, but they get $3,000 for playing in exhibitions plus a bonus, ranging from $750-5250 for a result. So it's not rock star money, but some money is there.

25. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    closed door scrimmage with south korea...

well, if adu is gonna get a shot, south korea offers a suitable style, and keeping it from outside eyes means the rush to judgment of adu won't be happening...

I' think a nice effort by adu against the koreans leads to his public unveling a week later against japan, again a nice style for adu to play against