FSC ad boards at St. James Park

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by wjarrettc, Jan 2, 2006.

1. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the Newcastle v. Boro match on FSC today, I noticed that several of the revolving ad boards on either side of midfield had ads for Fox Soccer Channel. At first, I thought it was pretty cool, but then I got to wondering why would FSC take a sign board on a game in England.

a) If you see the board while watching the game in the USA, you are watching on FSC.

b) If you see the board while watching highlights of the game in the USA, you are almost certainly watching the highlights on FSC.

c) If you are watching the game or highlights outside the USA, you don't have access to FSC on your satellite system anyway.

I imagine that's pretty expensive real estate. What's the point? Who are they trying to reach with these ads?

2. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didnt see it...but it might have been one of those green screens where the network inserts its own ad.

3. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    I've seen them at Man City's stadium too.

NewsCorp probably placed them there in lieu of the usual Sky Sports banners. Not exactly sure why, or what led them to choose those stadiums.

4. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't think so. It was on one of the revolving boards (you know the ones that have 3 sides that change about minute and are really distracting while you're watching the game).

I wonder if they get some free signage (or at least "included") with the TV contract they have?

5. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    It could very well be one of those "green screen" subliminal adverts that show up as SkySports in England, FSW in Canada, and FSC in the United States.

6. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I saw the ads too. they also had them at a game earlier in the season at Newcastle. If they paid for that signage I don't think they got their money's worth as they were only clearly visible during rare sideline closeup shots, unlike other banners like Skysports or Barclay's which are easily readable during normal play.

7. The_Gaffer

The_Gaffer New Member

Aug 27, 2005
  8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to hijack the thread:

"..get excited about seeing it during matches" ?????
    Oh yeah, about as excited as we get when listening to that berk who sets the scene for the live match coverage until about 1.5 secs away from kick-off...

If FSC is losing money, why do they even use those "berks"? Let the PbP announcer finish talking before coming up. Or, go straight to commerical after that.

--Signed by someone who loves listening to Premiership Live while watching FSC.